post #1 of 8 Old 10-12-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 724 - Greasing?

Hi everyone,

New poster here. I have a (new-to-me) Toro 724 (model 38072), and I want to make sure I'm doing the lubrication properly.

I was at my local Toro dealer last week getting some oil, and asked about what I should be doing to grease the augers. They told me there would be grease fitting on there, and that I should just get a grease gun and fill those. My snow blower is buried in my garage, so I can't look at it right now, but according to the manual there is a pipe plug that you remove to add grease to the gear box? Would this be instead of grease fittings? And would I use my grease gun to fill this?

The manual says to use Lubriplate MAG-1, but I got something called Royal Purple 01312 NLGI No. 2 with my grease gun. Am I ok using this, or do I need to get the Lubriplate MAG-1?

If there's any other yearly maintenance (besides changing oil, draining gas, etc.), please let me know what you think I should be doing to make sure this runs well for a long time

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-12-2015, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 17
Welcome! I certainly am not an expert on this, but I have a Toro 826 model 38150. Mine does not have any grease fitting (zerks). I use 75W-90 gear oil in the gear box in the center of the auger. I'm sure someone will be along with more knowledge in a little while. Good luck..............

Honda HS720AS 2015
Toro 826E (38150) 1980
post #3 of 8 Old 10-12-2015, 04:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Hi Reno
Welcome to the SBF. The zerk fittings would be on the auger tubes...the augers actually slide onto the auger shaft on the right and left sides of the gear box. The augers are locked in place by shear pins...meant to break loose when you hit an obstruction. This prevents the expensive gearbox from being damaged. If the auger tubes are allowed to rust and bond to the auger shaft, the shear pins will not serve their purpose. Lubricating the shaft beneath the augers keeps everything free, thus the zerk fittings. A light coat of oil on all moVing control surfaces will prevent any binding that will affect operation. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #4 of 8 Old 10-12-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead64 View Post
Hi Reno
Welcome to the SBF. The zerk fittings would be on the auger tubes...the augers actually slide onto the auger shaft on the right and left sides of the gear box. The augers are locked in place by shear pins...meant to break loose when you hit an obstruction. This prevents the expensive gearbox from being damaged. If the auger tubes are allowed to rust and bond to the auger shaft, the shear pins will not serve their purpose. Lubricating the shaft beneath the augers keeps everything free, thus the zerk fittings. A light coat of oil on all moVing control surfaces will prevent any binding that will affect operation. MH
Thanks to both for the quick replies! The manual doesn't seem to show any zerk fittings, thus the confusion on my part. I'll have to get it out and actually take a look at it.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
its just a 3/8th plug on my toro 824. use a 00 grease
post #6 of 8 Old 10-13-2015, 02:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
USE 80/90 non syn gear oil in there. the seals will not hold the syn stuff.. DO NOT USE THAT BLOODY GREASE STUFF IN THERE. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 8 Old 11-11-2015, 09:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markd View Post
Welcome! I certainly am not an expert on this, but I have a Toro 826 model 38150. Mine does not have any grease fitting (zerks). I use 75W-90 gear oil in the gear box in the center of the auger. I'm sure someone will be along with more knowledge in a little while. Good luck..............
I have a Toro 824 38080, new to the forum, and was just looking into this as well. My service manual says I need to use 90.wt gear oil in the auger gear box in the center of the auger. I tried to change tonight, but opened up the plug and nothing drained. Looked like some light tan colored grease in there. Not much I could see though. Do I need to overhaul the gearbox, clean and put in the proper fluid? Add some gear oil anyway as-is?

Thanks for the knowledge on lubricating the auger shaft motorhead! My next project.

Last edited by ts8169; 11-11-2015 at 09:43 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-01-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
[quote=ts8169;743010]I have a Toro 824 38080, new to the forum, and was just looking into this as well. My service manual says I need to use 90.wt gear oil in the auger gear box in the center of the auger. I tried to change tonight, but opened up the plug and nothing drained. Looked like some light tan colored grease in there. Not much I could see though. Do I need to overhaul the gearbox, clean and put in the proper fluid? Add some gear oil anyway as-is?

Thanks for the knowledge on lubricating the auger shaft motorhead! My next project.[/quot

Hey TS, I saw the same light tan grease in mine. I understood that to be the Lubriplate grease that was recommended in my manual. Seems to be some differing of opinion as to what goes in there, but I decided to go with the what my manual and local service person told me, which was that tan grease. They definitely told me not to mix anything together in there though. So I just topped it off with the Lubriplate. I'm hoping that is the correct thing to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page