Toro 826 38150 Dying - Missing Interlock or Carb?? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 11-11-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 826 38150 Dying - Missing Interlock or Carb??

Toro 826 - 38150 - SN 4002088
Hey there everyone. This is my first snowblower. A friend got it at a farm auction and I got it in trade. At first it would not start and I eventually got it going by fixing a break in one of the wires. It starts and Idles. In general it sounds good. The wheels both engage and the auger engages as well.

The P.O did some rewiring and "modding" to this thing as far as I can see. No key is required to start and the safety interlock system is removed.
When I push the throttle lever towards High/fast it will die. Could this be due to the interlock system being removed?? The levers are gone and the wiring(or what is left of it is just hanging there. there is a plug on the engine that seems to be what the system connected to. Can it be bypassed?
I'm also thinking it could be the the carb needs rebuilt and cleaned...possibly the gas cap vent is clogged. The two stage manual posted in the sticky has nothing on my model and I searched about the interlock system with no luck.Any help would be much appreciated and apologies if this has been covered before
I'll include some pictures in case that could help anyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 11-12-2015, 12:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 2796
Likes (Received): 504
Kevinrco. Your machine is a 1984 model according to the model and serial number you posted and you can go to
https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro to see the parts breakdown for your machine.

The engine dieing when the throttle is moved from idle to fast indicates your carb will need to be cleaned and adjusted. This link will give you information to do it.

Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Briggs and Stratton Medium Two-Piece Flo-jet Carburetor

Your safety interlock system has already been by-passed, so care must be taken when operating your machine and the interlock system being disconnected will have no effect on the engine running. Will your engine stop when the throttle is pulled all the way down to the stop\slow position?

Link to some interlock discussions on this forum.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...archid=3482034

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Last edited by Grunt; 11-12-2015 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Add Info
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kevinrco thanked for this post
Likes dbert, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 41 Old 11-12-2015, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey thanks for the welcome. The machine will(did) idle fine when the throttle is in the slow position.I fiddled with the screws on the carb and couldn't get it started back up. I found a really helpful YouTube video(link below) showing a partial dis-assembly and cleaning of the carb, same motor but a Lawn-boy snowblower. Gonna do it tomorrow first thing. I've found the model on the Toro site but unfortunately they don't provide the user manual online as many before me probably have already figured out.

Weird, I tried searching with the word "interlock" in the Toro forum and got nothing??? Haven't been on any forums in a bit. Thank you for the links, I hope it is not too dangerous to use without the interlock....

Thank you

post #4 of 41 Old 11-12-2015, 05:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1630
Likes (Received): 571
hello kevin, welcome to SBF!! my 826 only has one working safety interlock and I'm glad it does

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #5 of 41 Old 11-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3832
Likes (Received): 1473
Garage
That chute is something else. Looks like the cream colored deflector is from an old Sears unit and it's sitting on a newer style chute ??

Good idea if you have a chance to hit it with some cleaner and hose it down before removing the carb.

I was going to say check on the price of a new carb but when I looked it up I saw what style it is. Haven't worked on one of those yet ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 41 Old 11-12-2015, 10:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinrco View Post
I hope it is not too dangerous to use without the interlock.
As long as no children are using it and you make sure "you" put the gear shift in neutral, disengage the auger and turn the engine off before leaving the operator position to unclog snow from the chute or debris in your path, you shouldn't have any problems. They are called safety interlocks for a reason, but the machine will function without them. The machine was designed so that releasing either handle bar lever with the shifter in gear or the auger engaged would kill the engine. I hope this helps to keep you safe.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989

post #7 of 41 Old 11-12-2015, 11:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 26
Donyboy videos are pretty good . It looks like you found the right one for your application.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 41 Old 11-12-2015, 11:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinrco View Post
Toro 826 - 38150 - SN 4002088

The P.O did some rewiring and "modding" to this thing as far as I can see. No key is required to start and the safety interlock system is removed.
When I push the throttle lever towards High/fast it will die. Could this be due to the interlock system being removed?? The levers are gone and the wiring(or what is left of it is just hanging there. there is a plug on the engine that seems to be what the system connected to. Can it be bypassed?
I'm also thinking it could be the the carb needs rebuilt and cleaned...possibly the gas cap vent is clogged. The two stage manual posted in the sticky has nothing on my model and I searched about the interlock system with no luck.Any help would be much appreciated and apologies if this has been covered before
I'll include some pictures in case that could help anyone.
The interlocks basically are a short circuit device that takes the ignition wire to ground and stops the spark. Pushing the key in breaks the ground circuit, and on some models, moving the throttle to the OFF position grounds the ignition and stops the engine. Mine has a key, and an on/off switch, but no interlock to the throttle. Both interlocks work, no reason to defeat them...so far.

Your problem with dying at full throttle sounds carb related. Does it run OK at full speed with the gas cap off? If so, that would point to a blocked vent. Check and see if you find a wire in the throttle mechanism that gets grounded when you move the throttle to full speed, which would indicate somebody put it together backwards. I would also take a look at that splice under the black tape and see whats going on there. Perhaps you have a bad connection under it that breaks contact when the unit vibration increases at higher speeds.

Last edited by skutflut; 11-12-2015 at 11:52 AM.
post #9 of 41 Old 11-13-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey, thanks for all the input. I took off the carb, cleaned, and reassembled. It runs at full throttle now. Its not running good enough though. It will just stop itself. I think i need some new gaskets for it. I'm heading to get a new fuel line and filter for it now to see if it helps. The fuel line looks clear to me and the filter looks ok too but they are old and need replaced anyway.

Another thing came to my attention. now that it will throttle up the auger wont spin when the lever is fully engaged. When i push the lever about halfway or more up the auger will spin. I'll have to search for how to adjust this.
post #10 of 41 Old 11-13-2015, 05:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
You may need new belts if they were never replaced. It is always good to have a spare set anyway, since they have a tendency to break during the worst storm of the century and all the parts stores are closed.
Your parts list shows the drive belt as 17-6540 and is a 1/2"x44" or (4L440) and the auger belt as 26-960 and is a 1/2"x40" or (4L400).

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes POWERSHIFT93 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page