Toro 824 Model: 38080 (1990) Carburetor / Engine Issue - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Toro 824 Model: 38080 (1990) Carburetor / Engine Issue

Hey guys, I put fresh oil in my Toro this weekend to prepare for the coming winter. Gased it up with gas Ive been using all summer for my mower. I use Sta-bil fuel stabilizer (Marine Grade Blue). Fired her up with only a couple pulls to start. After about 5 minutes running rough, it died. I have only been able to keep her running now mostly choked ( #1 = Full choke, #4 = No choke, I was on choke setting #2) and with the auger running. I can see the governor / throttle rods moving while its surging. I was having similar problems late last winter but seems to be worse now. Im concerned I have leaky intake / exhaust valves requiring that I pull the head, pull & clean valves, use the grinding past etc. I watch Donyboy and think I have classic symptums. Not sure I can do this work myself. Maybe I have carb issues also though? Only thing left is fresh gas.

Engine Tecumseh HM80-155291P
Carb 632334A

Here are issues:
- Cant turn the choke off and keep her running.
- When running choked, The muffler is popping, blue flames, red sparks. Was getting this last year without choke.
- The muffler bolt area was glowing hot. This issue is new.

Heres what Ive done:
- Pulled off the Carb bowl & cleaned with carb cleaner.
- Pulled appart the main jet & cleaned with carb cleaner. Got the 2 tiny holes and the side of the jet with cleaner and wire.
- Sprayed carb cleaner up into the carb where main jet goes.
- Sprayed carb cleaner all around the float hinge area.
- Replaced the bowl gasket and main jet gasket
- Pulled out the idle mixture screw & cleaned with carb cleaner
- Adjusted the main jet 1.5 to 1.75 turns out, Adjusted the idle mixture screw 1 turn out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
do you hear a lot of air escaping when you pull it over slowly by hand?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-16-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
do you hear a lot of air escaping when you pull it over slowly by hand?
Anywhere in particular that I would hear this? Or where the air would be escaping? I'm a novice at this stuff.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-16-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I did notice air coming from the engine head, adjacent to the oil dipstick at the front of the machine. I will say the muffler has seem it's days and the muffler gasket could be replaced with muffler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toro 38080 1990-0000001-0999999 Engine Assembly Issues.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	63114  
post #5 of 8 Old 11-16-2015, 01:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8169 View Post
I did notice air coming from the engine head, adjacent to the oil dipstick at the front of the machine. I will say the muffler has seem it's days and the muffler gasket could be replaced with muffler.
That's likely the air produced by the flywheel / fan being forced across the top of the head...through the cooling fins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #6 of 8 Old 11-16-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
[QUOTE=classiccat;748754]That's likely the air produced by the flywheel / fan being forced across the top of the head...through the cooling fins.[/QUOTE

Yup, that makes sense. No issue there then.

Anyone try spraying carb cleaner into the gas? Or spray carb cleaner into the choke while running? Maybe I'll just pull the carburetor off and soak the whole thing for a day or 2.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
you may have a bad head gasket. put some powder(flour,baby powder, whatever) in between the head and the block and pull it over. if the powder blows away, your head gasket is bad. i would also recommend checking the valve clearances if you are going to tear it down that far
post #8 of 8 Old 11-21-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So I went back into the carburetor and disassembled the main jet, The o-ring didn't look too good so I bought a couple new ones and replaced in the main jet and idle mixture rings. Ran both of these threads through a wire wheel to clean. I've read in this forum that a glowing muffler could indicate running lean so when I replaced the jet I set at 1.75 turns out. Idle screw at 1.25 turns out.

Also checked spark plug & looked good. Looking through plug hole, the Intake valve looked dark but exhaust looked ok. Neither valve looked to be sticking. The inside of the gas tank looked questionable so I sprayed some carb cleaner and wiped the inside with a rag/ long screw driver. Got some FRESH gas and treated with Sta-Bil right away, marine grade. Then I fired her up. Sure enough, surging as usual, for a good minute+. Smoke came out the muffler and shot toward the auger (muffler and gasket are bad) Then suddenly everything leveled out. So I turned the choke back a notch, and then off. Motor was purring real nice.

Last edited by ts8169; 11-21-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page