LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 5
Replace paddles?

I just got a Power Clear 221 over the summer which runs great. We just got our first snow though (7") and when I went to use it the snow just flopped out of the chute.

I had checked the paddles previous and couldn't find the "check holes" (assuming they are worn beyond them) and i could fit my finger between the paddle and the housing. Does the snow flopping out and the gap mean I need new paddles? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Yep, they should be replaced, and most likely the scraper bar too. Here's what the manual says:

Before each session, inspect the rotor blades for wear. When a rotor blade edge has worn down to the wear indicator hole, have an Authorized Service Dealer replace the rotor blades and the scraper.

If you don't have an owner's manual, you can download one from Toro here:

https://www.toro.com/en/parts

Just fill in the blank with your model number and then look for the serial number range that matches your Toro. Parts manuals are available there too and it's always handy to have the model, serial and part number when you go visit your Toro dealer, or online source to get the parts you need.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #3 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
Yep, they should be replaced, and most likely the scraper bar too. Here's what the manual says:

Before each session, inspect the rotor blades for wear. When a rotor blade edge has worn down to the wear indicator hole, have an Authorized Service Dealer replace the rotor blades and the scraper.

If you don't have an owner's manual, you can download one from Toro here:

https://www.toro.com/en/parts

Just fill in the blank with your model number and then look for the serial number range that matches your Toro. Parts manuals are available there too and it's always handy to have the model, serial and part number when you go visit your Toro dealer, or online source to get the parts you need.
Thank you so much!
Would this work? It appears so.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 12:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post

Yep. Replace the scraper each time you change paddles. As to having the " Authorized Toro Dealer" replace them.. Well.... JMHO. Other opinions may vary.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #5 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Yep. Replace the scraper each time you change paddles. As to having the " Authorized Toro Dealer" replace them.. Well.... JMHO. Other opinions may vary.
Thank you, and I agree on the "authorized dealer"...that's part of the enjoyment is doing it myself
post #6 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah, I was going to add that you could do it yourself, but I didn't know what your comfort level was with doing such stuff, and in this day and age...well, we always say read your manual here on SBF.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Sure looks like it. You might want to throw the particular model number of your Power Clear 221 into Toro's site just to verify it.

One thing that I've found useful when shopping for parts online is to take the part number and google it for a little comparative pricing information. In this case I'd look for Toro 99-9313, and check the prices that come up. Amazon is good, but might not be the best price you can find. For a few minutes time, doesn't hurt to look around. Lots of them come up on ebay, some with free shipping. Just make sure all the part numbers are correct for your 221.

Good idea to go ahead and change the belt too, and hey, throw a new spark plug in there while you're at it too.

Last edited by bwdbrn1; 12-14-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 06:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 2796
Likes (Received): 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfjourde View Post
We just got our first snow though (7") and when I went to use it the snow just flopped out of the chute.

Does the snow flopping out and the gap mean I need new paddles? Thanks.
Was the snow wet and heavy or dry and powdery? If the snow was wet and heavy, it will have a tendency to leave the chute like cookie dough squeezed out of a baggie even with new paddles. If the snow was powder, even worn paddles should throw it out pretty far, so my guess would be the belt slipping more than worn paddles. The wider gap of the paddles will limit throwing distance and the power propel feature will also suffer.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you all! Excellent analogy with the cookie dough lol. It was wet internees and powdery on top. Now that you mention it I smelled a bit of rubber - I only engaged it for about 30 seconds. Do you think for now I could tighten the belt? I haven't checked the manual yet but is it as simple as moving a pulley to tighten it?
post #10 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 09:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 2796
Likes (Received): 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfjourde View Post
Do you think for now I could tighten the belt? I haven't checked the manual yet but is it as simple as moving a pulley to tighten it?
The tension is adjusted by moving the cable end up the clutch adjusting plate (item 5) hidden under the plastic sleeve. I would pull the belt cover and inspect the belt just to make sure the idler pulley is moving as it should and the belt is not frayed to the point of failing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_100 Dec. 14 20.13.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	67330  

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page