post #1 of 14 Old 12-14-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 9
is a 10 worth 200 bucks over a 9?

Hi all,

This is my second post here, I'm gravitating towards a Toro blower because the reviews all over the web, youtube videos, and the design features all kinda grab me vs say comparitive models from Ariens and Simplicity. My local guy has 928OXHE for $1500 - seems to be the price for the machine everywhere, with free delivery. a 1028 would run a couple hundred more. I don't think there is any difference between the two (at least he didn't indicate there was) other than the engine. So given at times we have had some monster snow and some wet heavy messes, will I be regretting the 9? is 1HP going to make a big difference (e.g. 1/8th the price)?

aside from that, any common issues I should be worried about? I did see some mention of chute stick and deflector not staying where you want, I didn't see how that was resolved but it was resolved.

Thanks for your help!

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Ask your Toro dealer for a hard copy of the engine parts list. Or a pdf version, for that matter.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-14-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
will do. just got back from there and the Simplicity dealer. at the same price point the simplicity heavy duty 28 inch has a bigger engine, and is def built more sturdy (heavier gauge steel, 3 bolts per side to hold auger shaft, def more weight holding the front down, heavier overall. I found though that the toro stick control for the chute seemed better than the awkwardly placed chute controls (awkward for my thumbs that is) on the simplicity. two very different beasts in many ways..
post #4 of 14 Old 12-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
Last winter was pretty out of the ordinary. IMHO If you were up north in Canada I'd say go for the 10 but realistically I think you'd be very happy and satisfied with the 928.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-14-2015, 08:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Last winter was pretty out of the ordinary. IMHO If you were up north in Canada I'd say go for the 10 but realistically I think you'd be very happy and satisfied with the 928.
I think Froggy is correct...with one caveat, if you don't mind the extra money (it's not a burden), you are tipping over into a nice torque bump going with the 1028 - power wise it's likely the biggest leap in terms of any model in the PowerMax HD line. If it was between a 1028 and an 1128, I'd likely suggest going with the 1028 unless you have to have the spring loaded scraper....and no one HAS to have it. The power gains are simply not as significant.

As far as simplicity, IMHO - they have some nice engineering in places, but completely overdo it in others - Areins has a ludicrous iteration rate with new models every 5 minutes...I'm not trying to be petty, but they haven't yet learned to make more money with fewer skews...from a business standpoint I find their model befuddling.

Toro just works, has superb engineering and quality, so I think you are onto something in terms of brand...and I don't just say this as a toro owner, but as someone in your shoes last year.

If you have the money, get what you want, better to have too much than too little, IF you can afford to think like that. If you are trying to keep things in a specific range, as Froggy said, you will be very happy with the 928. It's a superb machine! Nice thing is that if it's an HD model, you get all of the engineering you are looking for. It's just a numbers game after that...they will all perform extremely well.

And I know how it feels when you see the overwhelming activity at the Areins forum, and then you see one model that will work great in the toro line, and you wonder if something is wrong with you...

...that is your brain telling you that it only takes one machine to do what you need it to do, and it's OK

Buy Red - that's all I need to say
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-14-2015, 08:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
will do. just got back from there and the Simplicity dealer. at the same price point the simplicity heavy duty 28 inch has a bigger engine, and is def built more sturdy (heavier gauge steel, 3 bolts per side to hold auger shaft, def more weight holding the front down, heavier overall. I found though that the toro stick control for the chute seemed better than the awkwardly placed chute controls (awkward for my thumbs that is) on the simplicity. two very different beasts in many ways..
Forgot to mention, the quick chute control is worth it's weight in gold. If there is one thing that will fundamentally change how you operate a machine, it's that. Nothing is faster or better, especially if you have neighbours and lots of turns (like me). If you have straight runs, even better!

The simplicity will need the extra horsepower just to move itself...a bit tongue-in-cheek...yet not really. It's a tank, unfortunately not all of the most important parts are built so rigorously. This is my opinion and mine alone: To me, Simplicity is a hard candy shell with a gooey centre. The gooey bits are what Concern me. But don't take my word for it.

Buy Red - that's all I need to say
post #7 of 14 Old 12-14-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, Mag, good points all.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-16-2015, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumB View Post
I think Froggy is correct...with one caveat, if you don't mind the extra money (it's not a burden), you are tipping over into a nice torque bump going with the 1028 - power wise it's likely the biggest leap in terms of any model in the PowerMax HD line. If it was between a 1028 and an 1128, I'd likely suggest going with the 1028 unless you have to have the spring loaded scraper....and no one HAS to have it.
ordered up the 1028OXHE will be delivered Monday. Local guy has what I guess is the standard $100 off list and threw in poly skid shoes and free delivery (my truck is being borrowed for extended duration so I can't pick it up)

This means no snow for the central jersey area this winter, folks, you can thank me now
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes MagnumB liked this post
post #9 of 14 Old 12-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
gmazet, Just curious if you did scan the engine manuals? Thinking Briggs modified horsepower ratings along with Toro. Not trying to start another hp ratings debate. Just curious. Toro's best interest has been irrigation for the past 15 years, not snowblowers, just FYI.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-16-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I did not. too lazy to go to that length
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page