Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 26
Vintage Toro 826 gearbox leak

Hi guys,

FYI, last winter I did a write up on my 1977 826's gearbox oil change:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-pictures.html

Anywho, when I did the routine check up for this winter upon removing the 826 from summer storage in the shed (did an engine oil change, tire pressure and spark plug check, gearbox oil check), I noticed that some of the gear oil added last winter was missing. I added some through the drain plug and left the machine in the garage until today, a day after this year's first snow storm.

In any case, upon inspecting the machine, I noticed that a small amount of gear oil has dripped onto the garage floor. It doesn't seem to be coming from the drain plug, as I wiped it clean after adding oil two weeks ago and it's still dry. I do, however, see droplets of oil forming at the bottom of the gear box case.

Any ideas on where this could be coming from (common leak points)? I'm thinking that the driveshaft seal is possibly leaking, or the seals from the auger shaft (I haven't taken a closer look, as visibility is very restricted in there).

I wonder what to do with this? Take it apart and replace gaskets, if new gasket kits even still available? Put in thicker gear oil that hopefully won't leak? I noticed that the gearbox casing seems to be held together by bolts... I'm gonna try to tighten those first, perhaps (maybe they got loose over time?).

Note: the "leak" is actually a very slow drip from oil droplets forming at the bottom of the cast iron gearbox case... and it dripped on the floor even though the auger was never engaged. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 762mm; 12-30-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-30-2015, 05:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 1647
Likes (Received): 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762mm View Post
Hi guys,

I noticed that the gearbox casing seems to be held together by bolts... I'm gonna try to tighten those first, perhaps (maybe they got loose over time?).

that's where I'd start. My '89 service manual says that they should be torqued to 120in-lbs.

here's the tightening sequence:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks 762mm thanked for this post
post #3 of 31 Old 12-30-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the suggestion and pic!

Last time I had a similar issue was on my parents' 1997 Nissan Pathfinder. The valve cover bolts rattled themselves so loose that the truck would be pissing engine oil on the exhaust and burning it... it looked like the engine was on fire, lol!

Tightening the bolts fixed the problem on the Nissan. Hopefully, the Toro will be the same (I love cheap fixes, lol!).

Question: how do you tighten the bolts in the back of the gearbox case? Do you need to take off the auger? (I'm not near the machine right now, but I believe access is very restricted back there from what I remember)

Last edited by 762mm; 12-30-2015 at 06:09 PM.
post #4 of 31 Old 12-30-2015, 06:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1169
You are going to have to overhaul the gear case. there BROTHER 762.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 31 Old 12-30-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
You are going to have to overhaul the gear case. there BROTHER 762.
Overhaul, as in new gaskets/seals? (where does one even get the kit for a 1977 machine these days?)

I was kind of afraid of that.... let me try to tighten the case bolts first, lol!
post #6 of 31 Old 12-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Check to make sure the model number is correct.

Toro Model 31763.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/ind...oro&lang=us_en

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/51-0460/

Shryp put a link to the Toro 2 stage service manual here.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ce-manual.html

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.

Last edited by bwdbrn1; 12-30-2015 at 08:18 PM.
post #7 of 31 Old 12-30-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the links, bwdbrn1!

I'm located in Canada, so probably won't be able to order these anyway... but having part numbers is a good start. Maybe a local dealer would have them, if new parts actually end up being needed.

The one question I've been asking myself is: how important is it to have a gear case full of oil at all times? My driveway is not that big and my normal snow removal operation with the Toro takes approx. 15-20 minutes. Plus when I changed the gear oil last winter, I've found a brown goo-ish liquid in the gear case that seemed to have been there for decades, yet no damage was done to the gears in years, it seems. See the link in my post #1 for pictures.

It's not like it heats up like a truck's diff/rear end due to excessive friction or anything... so perhaps it's not that crucial to have it full?

In any case, I'm gonna try to figure out a way to fix it without taking it apart for now and see if it helps. The other option is to keep adding a bit of fluid every few weeks. Not how I like to roll, but it may come to that...

Last edited by 762mm; 12-30-2015 at 08:41 PM.
post #8 of 31 Old 12-30-2015, 09:18 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/7-0045/

you would also need three of these oil seals
post #9 of 31 Old 12-30-2015, 09:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 135
Likes (Given): 201
Likes (Received): 283
Others here will rightfully disagree with this advice, as it's not what the manual says for that vintage. If I were you I'd consider replacing all the 90 weight oil with 00 grease. I'm not sure where you get this stuff in Canada, but here is an example of the grease I am suggesting.
NAPA AUTO PARTS
post #10 of 31 Old 12-30-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbert View Post
Others here will rightfully disagree with this advice, as it's not what the manual says for that vintage. If I were you I'd consider replacing all the 90 weight oil with 00 grease. I'm not sure where you get this stuff in Canada, but here is an example of the grease I am suggesting.
NAPA AUTO PARTS

Thanks. I think it actually had something similar in the gear case before I swapped it for the 90 weight oil last winter. Maybe the leaking gearbox was a well known problem to the previous owner and the heavier grease was his solution...?

Thicker grease is much less likely to leak, after all... I think I'll try to see what can be done about the leak from the outside first (tighten the bolts, etc) and then take it from there. I paid $160 for the whole machine last year, so I'm not really inclined to be dropping $100+ in parts just to fix a minor leak... at least not yet. The seals, gasket, bushings and shipping to where I am will certainly add up quickly. Our sucky Canadian dollar and outrageous delivery costs most businesses charge make you think twice about having to order parts from the US, unfortunately.

In the past, I've had excellent luck sealing/repairing leaky gaskets with automotive liquid gaskets (the ones used on most modern cars instead of actual gasket kits). I'd "rebuild" some old worn out gaskets and their mating points with it, effectively stopping oil or water leaks. That too could be a possibility for my Toro's gear box... well, maybe (depends where the leak is).

Last edited by 762mm; 12-30-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page