LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 11-30-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Toro 521 2 stage

I just pulled my 26 year old Toro 521 out of my garage corner that has be sitting for the last 8 years not running. I bought a brand new aftermarket carburetor, new fuel line, cleaned out the gas tank, new spark plug, lubed up the transmission, and checked the belts. I pulled the rope 4 times and it fired right up I warmed up the engine and adjusted the new carburetor. I changed the oil and it is ready to go. My question is .........I have a product called Fluid Film in an aerosol can. It is a Rust & Corrosion Preventive. It is used to prevent grass from sticking to lawnmowers, and snow from sticking to snow removal equipment among about a 1,000 more other uses. I was thinking of spraying my entire augur, bucket, and snow shoot to prevent rust as well as preventing the snow from sticking. My Toro has very little rust and I would like the machine to last another 26 years if possible. Does anyone here spray anything similar on their snow blowers here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 236
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Just gotta' love those older machines. Nothing more satisfying than hearing one come back to life that hasn't run in years. Other folks have used such things as WD40 and Pledge, so that stuff you have will probably work just fine.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 331
Slicking them up

Congrats on getting it up and running. I love the older ones, built like a tank compared to some of the new stuff I've seen. If you have gas and spark, it should run unlike things like electronic modules etc I see people having problems with.

Like bwdbrn1 said, anything that makes the impeller, housing and chute slicker can't hurt. Another one I've heard used is "Pam" cooking spray. Personally, I'm trying Macguires car wax on the Searsasaurus to see how that works. Spray would be alot easier, but the wife says I'm a glutten for punishment trying to apply and buff it inside the housing

Last edited by HCBPH; 11-30-2011 at 10:36 AM.
post #4 of 21 Old 11-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
I have a TORO 421 ...built in 1980.
It starts soooo easily. I love it.
I have a few pics if you view my public profile and go to my picture albums.

post some pics when you can.

I use regular car wax on mine, where I can reach.
Otherwise, I use some spray waxes as well.
The PAM gets a bit sticky.
I spray my tire treads too.

Bob

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If it's in English, thank a VETERAN!
post #5 of 21 Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by attaboybob View Post
I have a TORO 421 ...built in 1980.
It starts soooo easily. I love it.
I have a few pics if you view my public profile and go to my picture albums.

post some pics when you can.

I use regular car wax on mine, where I can reach.
Otherwise, I use some spray waxes as well.
The PAM gets a bit sticky.
I spray my tire treads too.

Bob
Thanks Bob.......My real name is Bob as well. I sprayed down my entire bucket including augurs and wiped down all parts after spraying with Fluid Film today .......I hope that the very minor rust will be stopped as well as the no stick factor on the snow once my Toro 521 first gets a bite of the snow. I really should of taken a few images of my Beast as he is still handsome and in perfect working order after sitting for the last 8 years My Toro 521 is in original untouched mode outside of new aftermarket carburetor and a new fuel line, new scrapper and heavy duty skids installed 8 years ago. It was never had any repainting at all and looks great today. I can provide pictures........LOL!
post #6 of 21 Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here are a few pictures of my 26 year old Toro 521. I could not figure out how to post them in the picture gallery I am the original owner. The Toro is all original except for a new carburetor, new fuel line, newer skids, and a newer scraper. The belts are all original. The paint has never been touched up and is also original. I paid $800.75 out the door with electric starter and wheel chains that I never used back in December of 1985. I installed the optional headlight on the snow blower right after I bought it a week later. The headlight cost $83.00 out the door. It has a alternator off of the flywheel cover.

Original owner of a low mileage 1986 Toro 521 2 stage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Talon1189; 12-08-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes db130 liked this post
post #7 of 21 Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I remember thinking about fixing up my Toro 521 snow blower last November (2010) and selling it as I was desperate at that time for money. Today.....I am still desperate for money....LOL! I thought about replacing it with a single stage snow thrower as our winters have been kinda mild the last 4 years before that time. The winter of 2010 we got hammered BIGTIME for SE lower Michigan and I hurt my back a few times shoveling by hand like unlike the years before. I used to feel kinda silly running a small 5 horsepower 21 inch 2 stage blower out for only 2 inches or less of snow I am 52 years old now and my back is not what it was a few years back I am so happy that I kept my older machine and got it running this last November and learned to appreciate what I had. Today ........I feel confident with my older Toro 521 I have read on the internet that "they don't build them like they did" many times today! Chinese built products always scared me as I am old school........made in the USA type of guy >>>>>>> Talon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Talon1189; 12-08-2011 at 09:04 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-10-2011, 01:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 331
Toro

Talon

You Lie - there's no way that can be that age and that condition
All joking aside, that's a great looking machine and to be in that condition and at that age, you had to pamper that alot. I've never seen one that age and in that condition that I can remember. No missing paint, no rust, almost exactly like it came out of the factor, do the tires still have the nubs? Now if you tell me it's got the original air in the tires, I'm really going to have a hard time believing that one.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-10-2011, 02:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
I don't know about original air, but I can tell you he has never put air in those tires
post #10 of 21 Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
Talon

You Lie - there's no way that can be that age and that condition
All joking aside, that's a great looking machine and to be in that condition and at that age, you had to pamper that alot. I've never seen one that age and in that condition that I can remember. No missing paint, no rust, almost exactly like it came out of the factor, do the tires still have the nubs? Now if you tell me it's got the original air in the tires, I'm really going to have a hard time believing that one.

Thanks HCBPH for the compliment buddy. The tires are the hard rubber pneumatic type that don't need air. I just put a coat of car wax on my Toro 521 after I got it and always brushed off all loose snow off the machine before putting it away in my garage. I always rested the snow blower on a 2x4 piece of wood so it never sat in water while being stored The machine sat for the last 8 years in my garage like I mentioned. Here are 2 more images that I took the other day.....there is very light rust on the auger and impeller area :

I am very proud of my older Toro here......but reading up on some the the machines made in the 60' and 70's that some members here own kinda makes mine look like a newbie machine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page