post #1 of 11 Old 01-04-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 26
Toro 826 auger bearing question

Hello again,

When I was blowing snow with my Toro 826 yesterday, I noticed that there seems to be a metal grinding noise and some vibration when the auger is engaged. According to some sources, this could very likely be the bearing gone bad. The machine is a late 1970's model, #38150 or #31763 based on what I was told last year on SBF (unfortunately, I was not able to locate a serial # anywhere on the machine - it's either painted over or removed).

Anyway, a quick parts lookup on Toro's website revealed that the main auger bearing (called "Ball bearing with collar") is part # 251-224. This part, however, gets very few hits in Google.... and a lot of the "bearings" under the same part # Google comes up with seem to be related to other stuff (like rollers, etc) and don't even look the same as an auger bearing in the pictures.

To add to the confusion, it appears that Toro changed the bearings to bushings sometime along the line, so the bearings are probably long discontinued by now. Unfortunately, they do not list what part # of "spherical auger bushing" is needed in lieu of the discontinued bearing.

In any case... if someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. I don't mind the bushing over the bearing (because I don't do a lot of blowing anyway - hehehe), but as it stands I can't find either one. The bearings are pretty much all gone/unavailable and the bushings have an unknown part # for my machine.

Are the "spherical bushings" all universal or are they machine-specific? I am wondering, because some eBay sellers don't even list part numbers for those... just the inner/outer diameter.

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. Here is a nice "how to" from a guy who did it on a 521:

Last edited by 762mm; 01-04-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3832
Likes (Received): 1473
Garage
You need to take it apart and pull the bearing. You might want to have a 251-224 on hand. Once it's apart you hopefully can read a number on it and confirm it's a 251-224 or get a number that you can cross to get something else.

They are plentiful on ebay: 251-224 bearing | eBay

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-04-2016, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
You need to take it apart and pull the bearing. You might want to have a 251-224 on hand. Once it's apart you hopefully can read a number on it and confirm it's a 251-224 or get a number that you can cross to get something else.

They are plentiful on ebay: 251-224 bearing | eBay

Thanks. I'm pretty confident it will be #251-224 that I need. The problem I have is that the bearings on eBay don't seem to look (in pictures, at least) as what I actually need. I agree that taking the machine apart would be the best way to assess the part, but like you say, if I do that I'd like to have the new part on hand.

To my understanding, the actual bearing is spherical (in the shape of a ball), whereas the eBay offerings appear to be standard flat bearings. I don't understand why the "same" part number yields so many different bearing options :

post #4 of 11 Old 01-04-2016, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
The two lower photos appear to have a spherical shape to the exterior.

The Toro number is correct but when you try to cross it over to an SKF, CR, ... bearing manufacturer number it gets confusing. It might be a 123456 but there might be a prefix and or suffix that indicates the outer shell is straight, spherical, there is a metal gasket, rubber gasket, no gasket, machined for a retaining ring, ..... but the 123456 stays the same.

The missing parts of the 123456 is why you'll pull up different variants when searching.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks 762mm thanked for this post
post #5 of 11 Old 01-05-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the reply and pointers.

In regards to the same part numbers yielding different bearings, I understand that the search engine is not perfect. What I was referring to, as an example, is the second bearing in the list above (pic I posted from eBay).

It says "Toro 251-224" in the description/title, but it is clearly a flat bearing for a roller or something. I've experienced the same with websites that sell parts - they list the part number for Toro, but the picture is not actually what it's supposed to be. I figure maybe a lot of these places are using generic pics of bearings, but what would be the point of doing that?

Anyway... I'll keep looking, maybe I'll find something suitable or some third-party info on the proper bushing replacement/part # for my bearing. I'm not impressed with Toro's web support for their older products.

post #6 of 11 Old 01-05-2016, 05:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 601
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog, 762mm thanked for this post
post #7 of 11 Old 01-05-2016, 06:02 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 586
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
.....and at a reasonable price !!

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 11 Old 01-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762mm View Post
they list the part number for Toro, but the picture is not actually what it's supposed to be. I figure maybe a lot of these places are using generic pics of bearings, but what would be the point of doing that?

It's cheaper and easier for them then trying to take or buy a photo of each bearing they sell. They have to worry about copyright so then can't just photo shop it.
They are also relaying on someone fully knowing what they want and who doesn't need to rely on a photo.
That's not always me. I feel way more secure "seeing" the actual part I'm ordering. I'll pay more buying from someone with the actual photo rather than a seller posting a representation if possible.

post #9 of 11 Old 01-05-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post

Well, I'll be damned... your Google must work different from mine, lol! (perhaps it's the regional settings/IP address origin or something). How do you know it replaces the 251-224 bearing though? It doesn't list it in the description...

Quote:
Replaces These Parts

TORO

12-8789
26-6100
63-3450
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
It's cheaper and easier for them then trying to take or buy a photo of each bearing they sell. They have to worry about copyright so then can't just photo shop it.
They are also relaying on someone fully knowing what they want and who doesn't need to rely on a photo.
That's not always me. I feel way more secure "seeing" the actual part I'm ordering. I'll pay more buying from someone with the actual photo rather than a seller posting a representation if possible.
Exactly! I too like to see what I'm buying, especially online. Just because YOU know the part number you need for your application doesn't mean the retailer does also. Stock errors occur all the time, everywhere... like the time a local auto parts store sold me the wrong alternator for my truck. It was fun putting the old one back in after having taken it out, driving back to the store only to be told they need to "order" the right one and that it would get there in a week.

In any case, I just might pick up what Jackmels suggested, as soon as I verify that it is a direct replacement for Toro part# 251-224. Toro sure doesn't make it easy, do they?

EDIT: Found one even cheaper: $10.40 USD, free shipping:

Took a chance on it. I really hope I don't need any extra parts to make it fit in there... like a special brace, bracket or something.

Last edited by 762mm; 01-05-2016 at 09:43 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-08-2016, 10:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 8
I have a couple pictures in my photo album showing a puller I made to push the shaft out of the bearing. I waited until summer to do mine, there was a lengthy bit of downtime involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page