1128 OXE Conversion to heated grips-OHXE owners HELP... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 01-23-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 13
1128 OXE Conversion to heated grips-OHXE owners HELP...

I have a 1128 OXE and would like to add the heated hand grips. I have the grips and handle part numbers, but I have been told my alternator will not power both the headlight and the heated grips. Im having trouble locating the part number for the alternator that comes with the OHXE and also the power switch for the heated grips. Does anyone know what the Toro part number is for the alternator that I need or can somebody with a 2014 1128 OHXE provide an engine model and type? It is stamped on the side of the valve cover and should look something like this. I apologize if this has already been covered as I searched the forum and did not find a post on it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toro_zpsgh6iuyn3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	74889  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-24-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-24-2016, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3832
Likes (Received): 1473
Garage
to the forum hfjeff

I turned your photo for you. It would be MUCH easier if you just posted the numbers since it's still hard to figure out if I'm seeing a 3 or an 8 in the "Type".
Does the engine say 16.50 on one of it's stickers, the recoil ??

I'm pretty sure it's a 1.5 amp but I'm not positive.

Maybe someone else knows. I was looking here https://www.briggsandstratton.com/us...T=21M314-0128*

There are higher amp options in the part list.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 01-24-2016, 07:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 206
I had the same issue with an under-powered generator, so I put in switches so that I can run either the HHG, the lights, or nothing, or both under reduced lighting and heat - but never use that option.
post #4 of 27 Old 01-24-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry, I forgot to add some critical info. The motor is a Briggs and Stratton 342cc and 16.5 ftlbs torque. I believe you are correct that the current alternator is 1.5 amps. I understand that I can install a switch and use one or the other, but being and engineer type, I want make it fully functional. I am getting the OEM heated grips, new handles for the auger and drive, and switch and harness.

I am quite mechanically inclined so changing the alternator is no big deal. I just need to know which one to purchase. I was hoping someone with an OHXE and the Briggs 342cc 16.5 motor could take a look at their numbers so I could research which alt is in their machine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #5 of 27 Old 01-25-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I worked with a local Toro Dealer who was very patient and thorough and I believe he found everything to piece this together. Unfortunately Toro does not make a kit like Ariens does so you have to gather the individual pieces. Everything is on order and I will post an update as to how it goes. It is fairly expensive if you have to change the alternator as I do.
post #6 of 27 Old 01-25-2016, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1107
Briggs motors only have stators on them. with a alternator u need a voltage regulator. that is my take on it any way. but as you all know I have been wrong before. here is a tid bit get some rechargeable bike lights. and use the other to keep your paws toasty warm

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 27 Old 01-25-2016, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3832
Likes (Received): 1473
Garage
Most heated grips run around 30 watts so if you're only pumping out 18 on a good day you'll likely be very disappointed in what heat you get. That's if it's noticeable at all.

My machine, I'd go for one of the better coils that should fit in there so you're getting at least 3 amps, 5 if you need to run lights and warmers on a cold dark winter night.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #8 of 27 Old 01-25-2016, 04:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
I worked with a local Toro Dealer who was very patient and thorough and I believe he found everything to piece this together. Unfortunately Toro does not make a kit like Ariens does so you have to gather the individual pieces. Everything is on order and I will post an update as to how it goes. It is fairly expensive if you have to change the alternator as I do.

You have the 793640 1.5 amp DC only in there now if the parts list is correct. Which one are you changing over to? Just curious because I am considering the same change, to get more electrical power from the existing engine. Did the dealer tell you if the existing flywheel with the small magnet is compatible with the new stator?

Just for your reference, you might want to look at the following link which has a useful pdf file attached.

http://web.missouri.edu/~schumacherl...ylinderOHV.pdf

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #9 of 27 Old 01-25-2016, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The dealer looked up a replacement motor for an 1128 OHXE and then was able to research the alternator that came with that motor. I believe the replacement he ordered is either a 5A or 9A. He also compared the part numbers of that motor's flywheel and mine and found that they are the same. Hopefully he got it right. I do not know what the part number is yet as he just ordered them today over the phone. But I should have the parts by this Saturday hopefully.

I had an Ariens Deluxe 28 that came with the headlamp but no heated grips and I just ordered the Ariens kit and hooked it up and they worked great. I had no issue with a dimming headlamp and that was on a small 250cc Briggs. Too bad Toro is not quite as accommodating.

Fortunately I am persistent!

Last edited by hfjeff; 01-25-2016 at 10:28 PM.
post #10 of 27 Old 01-25-2016, 10:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
The dealer looked up a replacement motor for an 1128 OHXE and then was able to research the alternator that came with that motor. I believe the replacement he ordered is either a 5A or 9A. He also compared the part numbers of that motor's flywheel and mine and found that they are the same. Hopefully he got it right. I do not know what the part number is yet as he just ordered them today over the phone. But I should have the parts by this Saturday hopefully.

I had an Ariens Deluxe 28 that came with the headlamp but no heated grips and I just ordered the Ariens kit and hooked it up and they worked great. I had no issue with a dimming headlamp and that was on a small 250cc Briggs. Too bad Toro is not quite as accommodating.

Fortunately I am persistent!

You put ariens grips on the airens, correct? Did it have a dedicated power point for the grips? I have a Briggs chart showing a whole whack of different stators with AC, DC, AC/DC, outputs, and alternators up to 60 amps for some of their engines. They are a bit vague on specs in places, and what flywheel goes with what.

Please post your results when you get the new stator on and the grips wired up. Let me know the P/N of the stator you got when its all working. Thanks

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page