LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-10-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 3
Driveway math & selecting a model.

So the snowplow guy quit, I need a plow with a bucket which is too big for the tight turns and digs up way to much turf. I've hand shoveled it now 3 times, and I need a solution to save my back & my job. Looking at a Toro but what model? Here are the stats, the driveway is a loop, noose with rectangular parking at the top. It's about 12 degree grade, 300ft x 10ft on one side, at the top about 20ft x 30ft, and on the exit loop, 150ft x 8ft. Partial cement at the top and the driveway(s) are 1 1/4" minus stone. So, I need to maximize time with efficiency and to get the best model that can easily do the job in a total potpourri of snow (moisture) types and amounts. Thanks in advance for narrowing done my options!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-10-2016, 10:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Hmmm... How bout a google earth picture of the lay of the land.

When you use numbers like 300 feet, and 150 feet, this comes to mind. All those square feet scare me...

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 01-31-2017 at 12:06 PM.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-10-2016, 10:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
My head hurts when I do math!! Either way that's a lot of Sq feet and I would get the widest machine you can find in the best quality. Where your at it's worth it's weight in gold. Ariens, Toro's, Yamaha's, and Honda's would top my list. Probably in that order since I don't like the Honda price (but are the best of breed IMHO)

I would consider nice used machines also - in that case look for a Honda!

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bad69cat; 02-10-2016 at 10:34 PM.
post #4 of 26 Old 02-10-2016, 10:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
Considering that you will be using it over both gravel and pavement, I would go with something that has an adjustable auger height. The Honda tracked models offer an infinite adjustment, Ariens is adjustable but I am unsure if it's positional or infinite.

Another to consider, because of your location, you may consider Yamaha.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-10-2016, 11:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakXV View Post
Here are the stats, the driveway is a loop, noose with rectangular parking at the top. It's about 12 degree grade, 300ft x 10ft on one side...
A 12-deg grade suggests that this portion of your drive rises close to 64 feet over the 300 foot run. That's a pretty steep driveway. For reference an American football field is just over 300 feet long and the goal posts rise to 28 feet at the tips. You're going more than twice that with a 12-degree slope. You're going to want traction, power and lots of fuel for that.

Are you sure that's not a 12 percent grade?

10 feet wide is ~120 inches. Assuming you can use the entire bucket width per pass a 28" blower is going to need at least 4 passes to clear that segment of the drive.

Quote:
, at the top about 20ft x 30ft, and on the exit loop, 150ft x 8ft. Partial cement at the top and the driveway(s) are 1 1/4" minus stone. So, I need to maximize time with efficiency and to get the best model that can easily do the job in a total potpourri of snow (moisture) types and amounts. Thanks in advance for narrowing done my options!
Compared to the surface are of the in & out runs (3000 sq ft and 1200 sq ft) the ~600 sq ft of the top seems trivial.

You're in NB and get some crazy quantities (at times) and variety of precip. I think if you're going to go with a walk-behind and want a Toro a Power Max HD 1028 OHXE would be the minimum machine. Their 1128 might be a better choice.

Last edited by Blackfin; 02-10-2016 at 11:11 PM.
post #6 of 26 Old 02-10-2016, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Okay, thanks for the responses so far guys - all golden in the learning/selection process. The reason I've leaned Toro is because I have 3 acres of lawn to mow and my Toro hasn't missed a beat in 6 years ... about 5 hours of mowing / week. Anyway, 100yds is about 100 average paces and about the length of a football field in length and for the straight away side. Here is an image of that side, although it doesn't look like a football field long, trust me that is it. Takes me about 1 hour 15 minutes to shovel that side (8 inches & under, over 2 hours if it's heavy snow and upwards of a foot). I have an aerial of the full driveway too in my archives and will post that as well:
post #7 of 26 Old 02-10-2016, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
A 12-deg grade suggests that this portion of your drive rises close to 64 feet over the 300 foot run. That's a pretty steep driveway. For reference an American football field is just over 300 feet long and the goal posts rise to 28 feet at the tips. You're going more than twice that with a 12-degree slope. You're going to want traction, power and lots of fuel for that.

Are you sure that's not a 12 percent grade?

10 feet wide is ~120 inches. Assuming you can use the entire bucket width per pass a 28" blower is going to need at least 4 passes to clear that segment of the drive.

Compared to the surface are of the in & out runs (3000 sq ft and 1200 sq ft) the ~600 sq ft of the top seems trivial.

You're in NB and get some crazy quantities (at times) and variety of precip. I think if you're going to go with a walk-behind and want a Toro a Power Max HD 1028 OHXE would be the minimum machine. Their 1128 might be a better choice.
Okay thanks. Umm, no I was just guestimating the angle of inclination. It' not 0 degrees and it's not 45 degrees, nowhere near 22.5 degrees, greater than 5 degrees.(if only I could find my darn protractor!) Way too steep for the 3/4 ton plows to do properly when slick. It's not a gradual/linear rise, flatter at the bottom & more steep at the upper end and very easy to fall if/when icy. I would say max 20ft height difference from bottom to top.

Last edited by PeakXV; 02-10-2016 at 11:43 PM.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-11-2016, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's the aerial / bird's eye view:

post #9 of 26 Old 02-11-2016, 01:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 16
Isn't this a tractor snowblower scenario? An all season solution ?
post #10 of 26 Old 02-11-2016, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well, I use a push lawnmower for the lawns, and happy with that. Exercise (to a certain extent) is welcomed. A tractor is an option but then the question becomes what is the average 'time per blow' vs cost difference vs maintenance etc bearing in mind that the yearly snowplow/sanding bill is(was) about $750.00. The beauty of actually shoveling is that you do not need any sanding because the human element can scoop the snow right to the gravel level and thus preventing any black ice to form from subsequent tire compression & cold. I'm not certain how low to the gravel I can go with a snowblower without kicking up gravel or if that is a mechanical option that is better on some models than others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page