LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-13-2016, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Oil Leaked During Shipping

Just received my Toro Powermax 826 OXE yesterday. When the box came off the truck I noticed some oil penetrating the cardboard. When I opened the box it was obvious that the box had probably been turned on its side and the oil leaked out of the machine. I haven't taken it out of the box yet because I want to make sure I don't have a problem. In your guys experience is this a matter of cleaning off the machine and adding oil, or should it be returned?

My guess is that I need to take it out of the box and do a thorough inspection to ensure there's nothing broke and/or cracked.

Thanks,
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-13-2016, 04:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjborders View Post
Just received my Toro Powermax 826 OXE yesterday. When the box came off the truck I noticed some oil penetrating the cardboard. When I opened the box it was obvious that the box had probably been turned on its side and the oil leaked out of the machine. I haven't taken it out of the box yet because I want to make sure I don't have a problem. In your guys experience is this a matter of cleaning off the machine and adding oil, or should it be returned?

My guess is that I need to take it out of the box and do a thorough inspection to ensure there's nothing broke and/or cracked.

Thanks,
James
I had a similar issue with an Ariens Deluxe 28+ special edition I bought, it turned out to be a leaking gear case. As you said it is likely just from being tipped, but you won't know until you investigate further. I don't think it warrants returning the machine at this point. Sometimes the oil leaks out on the cylinder head and will appear to be a leak after the engine runs hot but will disappear after a few uses.

Best of luck with it!

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 02-13-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jjborders thanked for this post
post #3 of 12 Old 02-13-2016, 08:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Read about this a lot. Happens when unit is tipped. No big deal.

You gotta let me know what you think of the 826 OXE. I wanted that one and ended up buying 824QXE. Felt like 826 was too big for my townhouse driveway.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-13-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebby20 View Post
Read about this a lot. Happens when unit is tipped. No big deal.

You gotta let me know what you think of the 826 OXE. I wanted that one and ended up buying 824QXE. Felt like 826 was too big for my townhouse driveway.
I picked it for the steering assist. Sounded like a nice feature.

There's a Winter Storm Watch for our area so maybe I'll get a chance to fire it up on Monday which means I need to get out and assemble tomorrow.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-13-2016, 09:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 278
I am surprised they ship with oil in them? Didn't think the shipping co's would allow that ...?

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #6 of 12 Old 02-13-2016, 10:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Take pictures of the box before you open it, from all angles, in case you have to make a claim. You need approximately 1 zillion photos, because any insurance company will claim that you didn't provide enough. You might also think about calling the shipping company before opening and having their rep come and inspect, and witness the opening so they can't blame it on user error.

It's not that I don't have the utmost confidence and respect for insurance companies and shipping companies, but ..... wait, yes it is because I have no confidence in insurance and shipping companies.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 02-13-2016 at 10:30 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update

So I got out this morning and took care of what assembly was required, and did an inspection to determine if I had any major problems. Looks like the box was tipped on its side and the engine oil came out of the breather tube next to the valve cover. After adding oil and gas, it started the first pull and smoked pretty good as you would imagine. Let it run for about 10 minutes, shut it down, and looked for any other leaks. Nothing found. Good to go. Thanks for everyone's input on this post.

James
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks knu2xs thanked for this post
Likes liftoff1967, bad69cat, Hanky, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #8 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 05:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
I am surprised they ship with oil in them? Didn't think the shipping co's would allow that ...?
my machine came with two owner manuals, one from briggs and one from ariens. the briggs manual states it was shipped with out oil. the ariens manual states it comes with 5w30. mine had oil so I assume briggs shipped it dry to ariens where they put oil in it before shipping
post #9 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
I had a very similar issue with a Toro Powermax 826 OXE that was delivered. Noticed oil penetrating the bottom of the box as well. Everything looked ok, so proceeded to use and halfway thru the snow the auger stopped working. Turns out the auger gearbox sealant had failed causing oil to leak out and seize up. Took to my nearest Toro dealer 2 weeks ago and it was covered under warranty. Definitely check to make sure that gearbox is still sealed and has not failed.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
I had a very similar issue with a Toro Powermax 826 OXE that was delivered. Noticed oil penetrating the bottom of the box as well. Everything looked ok, so proceeded to use and halfway thru the snow the auger stopped working. Turns out the auger gearbox sealant had failed causing oil to leak out and seize up. Took to my nearest Toro dealer 2 weeks ago and it was covered under warranty. Definitely check to make sure that gearbox is still sealed and has not failed.
Thanks for the heads up. I took a quick look at the gearbox but didn't remove the plug. I'll definitely do that tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page