LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-03-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 170
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 583
question on the 8 26 Toro

Greeting friends.....I just finished refurbishing a 1980 8 26 with a Briggs motor that had no compression.....a valve job and some carb work ( and a paint job) and shes sitting pretty. A question......I have no experience with the drive disconnects that I assume is to power around corners......what are the forums thoughts on this model? Like all the older Toros I've been working on.......a BEAST....I'm starting to get really savvy about the electronic safetys. This one looks simpler then the 7 24 and 8 24 I just finished up. I'll have a better idea tomorrow when I tackle that part of the project!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-03-2016, 11:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2902
Likes (Received): 537
I fixed up a 1973 model 7/26 for my son-in-law a few years ago. When turning, you can power through the turn by un-locking the wheel on the side you want the machine to turn, OR, you can shift to neutral, un-lock the wheel and just push it through the turn and then re-engage the wheel lock and shift into gear. The system works well if all the wheel lock parts are free and adjusted properly.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cranman thanked for this post
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #3 of 9 Old 03-04-2016, 06:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
I fixed up a 1973 model 7/26 for my son-in-law a few years ago. When turning, you can power through the turn by un-locking the wheel on the side you want the machine to turn, OR, you can shift to neutral, un-lock the wheel and just push it through the turn and then re-engage the wheel lock and shift into gear. The system works well if all the wheel lock parts are free and adjusted properly.
Yeah I am still waiting on those pics from you there. BROTHER GRUNT..

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 9 Old 03-04-2016, 06:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
Greeting friends.....I just finished refurbishing a 1980 8 26 with a Briggs motor that had no compression.....a valve job and some carb work ( and a paint job) and shes sitting pretty. A question......I have no experience with the drive disconnects that I assume is to power around corners......what are the forums thoughts on this model? Like all the older Toros I've been working on.......a BEAST....I'm starting to get really savvy about the electronic safetys. This one looks simpler then the 7 24 and 8 24 I just finished up. I'll have a better idea tomorrow when I tackle that part of the project!
Make sure all the parts are still in them.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-04-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks all...I just hitched up the safetys today and everything is working like a charm! I'm just waiting on an air intake tube that I sourced on E-bay, then I can bolt on the carb shroud and this girl is done. Powershift....what is your opinion on this model? Too many parts to screw up in my opinion....is the individual drives on each wheel worth the effort? This is my last snowblower project for this season....I rebuilt 12 in Jan and Feb, and have to store 5 till next year's snowfall. I'm getting into Troy-bilt mode for the next month. I tore down a Horse model to repower with a Preditor this afternoon and I found two more on Craigslist with engine issues I hope to pick up.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2016, 07:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
OH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH They are worth it. you can not screw them up. they will dig you out, and dig you out fast. just make sure all those parts are in the clutch's. let me know if you need anything else.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 03-04-2016, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Post some pics of it. so I can have a looksee.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cranman thanked for this post
post #8 of 9 Old 03-07-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
You talked me into it Powershift! My 8 26 and my 8 24. All done with both except the carb cover and the air horn on the 8 26
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toro 8 26 and 8 24 002.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	83017   Click image for larger version

Name:	toro 8 26 and 8 24 003.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	83025   Click image for larger version

Name:	toro 8 26 and 8 24 004.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	83033   Click image for larger version

Name:	toro 8 26 and 8 24 005.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	83041   Click image for larger version

Name:	toro 8 26 and 8 24 006.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	83049  

Click image for larger version

Name:	toro 8 26 and 8 24 007.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	83057  
post #9 of 9 Old 03-08-2016, 05:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
You talked me into it Powershift! My 8 26 and my 8 24. All done with both except the carb cover and the air horn on the 8 26
Those augers could do with a lick of paint.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page