LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-25-2016, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
521 auger runs nonstop

Hi everyone, I have a Toro 521 that I'm having problems with. It was serviced in Sept, including both belts. I recently noticed that as soon as it is started, the auger begins to turn. The throwing power seems to have decreased also. The company that did the work is now shutdown and the new owner doesn't have time for the next few weeks to look at it. I looked up the belts and it has the right ones on. Any help you can give would be great! This was my stepfathers and was given to me when he passed. He would always do all of the neighbors walks and I want to keep up his tradition, so I need it running asap! By the way, love the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-26-2016, 09:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 927
There is an adjustment for your machine.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 17 Old 03-26-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Was hoping that was the case, but also hoped for a little more help on which setting and how to fix it
post #4 of 17 Old 03-26-2016, 05:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I believe the bolt on the idler pulley is slotted. You can loosen the bolt and lower the tension on the belt and then tighten it back down. Have a look through these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy...ry=belt+adjust

Your description of the problem is odd though. If the auger keeps turning that means the belt is too tight. If the throwing performance is bad that means the belt is slipped and too loose...

Does it seem like the belt is slipping or does it seem like the engine itself is bogging down?

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ColoJeeper thanked for this post
post #5 of 17 Old 03-26-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the link, I actually watched this one yesterday while I was trying tougher it out. Mine doesn't adjust and like that one though. I went after some lighter snow today and it seems to be throwing it like it should. So, I guess the main issue is that the auger runs when it shouldn't and the belt is not slipping. The numbers on the belt match what Toro requires.

One thing that I noticed today is that attached to the pulpy that moves forward when you squeez the handle is what appears to be like a small brake pad. It sits against the bottom pulpy until you squeez the handle. Any thoughts?
post #6 of 17 Old 03-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoJeeper View Post
One thing that I noticed today is that attached to the pulpy that moves forward when you squeez the handle is what appears to be like a small brake pad. It sits against the bottom pulpy until you squeez the handle. Any thoughts?
That brake pad should be on the OUTSIDE, flat part of the belt, not between the belt and the pulley. When you release the clutch to stop the auger, the brake pad should land on the flat side of the belt and pulley to stop the auger. If you have the belt running against the outside of the brake arm, between the V part of the belt and the pulley, the first thing that will probably happen is your belt will get shredded, plus there will not be enough slack on the belt to let the auger stop as the slack is being taken up by the brake arm in the wrong place. Actually, the belt is in the wrong place in relation to the brake arm.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #7 of 17 Old 03-29-2016, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thanks, I guess I should clarify. The thing that looks like a breakpad is on the outside of the pully (not sure why autocorrect changed to pulpy). Is this something that can be replaced or adjusted?
post #8 of 17 Old 03-30-2016, 05:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
thanks, I guess I should clarify. The thing that looks like a breakpad is on the outside of the pully (not sure why autocorrect changed to pulpy). Is this something that can be replaced or adjusted?
Correct me if I am wrong, but is the brake you mentioned attached to the same plate as the idler wheel, at the opposite end? When the clutch is engaged, the idler wheel puts pressure on the belt, and the brake pad moves away from the pulley?

Can you get a good photo of the part and post it? The brake pad is supposed to run on the outside of the pulley, but the belt also has to be on the pulley so that the brake hits both the pulley and belt. If the brake is on the pulley but the belt is on the back side of the brake, not in the pulley where the brake is hitting, that's a problem

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 03-30-2016 at 05:52 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-30-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but is the brake you mentioned attached to the same plate as the idler wheel, at the opposite end? When the clutch is engaged, the idler wheel puts pressure on the belt, and the brake pad moves away from the pulley?

Can you get a good photo of the part and post it? The brake pad is supposed to run on the outside of the pulley, but the belt also has to be on the pulley so that the brake hits both the pulley and belt. If the brake is on the pulley but the belt is on the back side of the brake, not in the pulley where the brake is hitting, that's a problem
Not wrong at all! That is exactly how it looks, but it appears as though that pad isn't either making a strong enough contact or is worn out. Can I change it?
post #10 of 17 Old 03-31-2016, 09:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Quote:
Not wrong at all! That is exactly how it looks, but it appears as though that pad isn't either making a strong enough contact or is worn out. Can I change it?
You know if you posted some pics of this problem that is presenting itself onto us. I just might be able to figure it out.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page