LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 08-08-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 2
1974 Toro 524, new owner

I recently purchased a Toro 524 (S/N 31624 404980). It seems to be in decent shape for its age, but there are a few things I have questions about.

1. The previous owner ran it with no auger skids, so the auger was scrapping his driveway and is worn down at 1/4". I am planning to buy some new skids, but I am concerned that with the new skids and the worn auger, that the auger will be raised too high off the ground.

2. The fins of the left and right auger are not aligned with each other, i.e. the left auger seems to be rotated about 20 degrees further clockwise that the right auger. Is this normal? Should take the augers off and align them?

3. The auger and impeller rotate constantly when the engine is running, even when the engagement handle is not held down. Maybe a short in the wire?

Despite these flaws, I still feel that it was a good buy for $80, hopefully I don't prove myself wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-08-2016, 04:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
does this help?

here's a couple of drawings that might help you. the drive for the auger and impeller is mechanical not electric, you probably have to start with adjusting the idler pulley and or the the handle and rod.
your 1974 toro 524 is model# 31624 and your serial number 404980

click on the pictures for a large view

Last edited by stromr; 09-08-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks creeve4 thanked for this post
post #3 of 28 Old 08-08-2016, 05:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeve4 View Post
I recently purchased a Toro 524 (S/N 31624 404980). It seems to be in decent shape for its age, but there are a few things I have questions about.

1. The previous owner ran it with no auger skids, so the auger was scrapping his driveway and is worn down at 1/4". I am planning to buy some new skids, but I am concerned that with the new skids and the worn auger, that the auger will be raised too high off the ground.

2. The fins of the left and right auger are not aligned with each other, i.e. the left auger seems to be rotated about 20 degrees further clockwise that the right auger. Is this normal? Should take the augers off and align them?

3. The auger and impeller rotate constantly when the engine is running, even when the engagement handle is not held down. Maybe a short in the wire?

Despite these flaws, I still feel that it was a good buy for $80, hopefully I don't prove myself wrong.
The run down augers will be fine. as for the second question at hand post some pics of this problem that is presenting itself on to us. you are going to have adjust that auger tension pulley in order for it to quit doing that. ONLY IF BROTHER GRUNT was here to post that stuff that he does so well. I will have to light up the BAT SIGNAL to get him here.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 28 Old 08-08-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you both for the information.

This is a picture of the augers. I was expecting the auger blades to be aligned in the middle (where the transfer case is).

I seems like the auger/impeller belt is fairly loose, maybe not loose enough? I don't see anywhere to adjust the tension on the auger belt, maybe it is the wrong size? Also, my idler pulley does not look like the one in the parts manual.

Last edited by creeve4; 08-09-2016 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Trying to get images to display
post #5 of 28 Old 08-09-2016, 10:49 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Not very familiar with older Toro 2 stagers, but they're all pretty much the same. If you look up the auger belt # and google it, cross reference and stuff until you find a dimension and see if PO put the correct size on there. There should be some adjustment in the rod from the lever at the dash to the machine. PO may have had an old belt they adjusted everything to the max to get engagement and then replaced the belt, but left all the adjustments for a lossey goosey belt.
Auger rake alignment is fine, no difference where they are as long as you have them as you do .....//////&\\\\\\\.
On the auger still spinning (if you find the belt is correct), I don't see a brake in any of the online schematics. If you look in there do you see a pad that rests against the impeller pulley, may be worn or missing a spring? If not, look around where I put the arrow and see if there is a spring either on that pivot rod the idler is on (like wrapped around the rod), or if the idler bracket has a spring that connects it to the frame somewhere. Cycle the auger engagement lever at the dash while watching the idler bracket pivot in and hopefully out of engagement. You'd want to check for some sort of pressure away from the belt when you release the auger engagement. If a spring is missing or lost an anchor point it won't pull the idler bracket away from the belt and just the light friction will continue to run the augers, but likely wouldn't throw snow. Sometimes cleaning up the rust on both the engine sheave and impeller pulley will ease up some belt drag. Also check to see if the idler pulley itself has a slot for adjustment on the bracket(although it does not look like it). PO may have it adjusted fully inboard toward the belt when it's not needed.
ANother thing I forgot to mention is check the bucket to frame bolts/alignment. Again, don't know how Toro has this coupled, but on Ariens and older JD's the bucket pivots at the bottom. If the top mounting bolts are loose, or one side is missing, the bucket will naturally gravitate away from the frame and put more pressure on the impeller/auger belt. You could loosen the bolts on each side and make sure the bucket to the frame is is snug together and then retighten the mounts just eliminate that first.

Last edited by jtclays; 08-09-2016 at 11:01 AM.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-09-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you so much for the advice. I'm hoping to have time this weekend to work on it more. I'll let you know what I figure out.
post #7 of 28 Old 08-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Had another thought from looking at the pictures. Make sure that auger engagement idler spins freely (they "should" free wheel by hand spinning pretty easy when away from the belt). It's very red Maybe it's lost it's bearing and you'll find a super shiny spot on the inboard side where it's just sitting? Wish you good luck with her Love seeing the old girls getting some care and maintenance, no matter the brand. I'm running an orange '79 and hopefully adding a '74 this weekend, but I like most all the old brands. None of the new stuff has the solid feel these old girls provide, IMO.
post #8 of 28 Old 08-10-2016, 03:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
You know that shaft that the auger pulley rides on may be worn to the bone. I would check to see if there is a lot of slop in there. then get some new belts for it.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 28 Old 08-10-2016, 03:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
no the augers are fine just way they are. the old TORO'S even when the lever is disengaged the augers still turn some from the belt riding on the pulley.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 28 Old 08-10-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The idler pulley is in good shape and rotates freely. The PO had the wrong size belt, 39" vs 40". That might not make a big difference, but we'll see when the correct belt arrives next week.

I'm really excited to get this old beauty fixed up! I love the solid build quality of these old machines. Thanks for the help and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page