LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-27-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 524 Friction Wheel Maybe?

Have a Toro 524 Snowthrower and adjustments only allow me to go in forward or reverse. I was thinking it is just the friction wheel is worn out but not sure. How much rubber should be on the wheel?

Is the drive shaft and friction plate supposed to have any play? I noticed that I can move it backwards and then it slides forwards back into position.

MN 38040
SN is 4001226

Last edited by eshernius; 09-27-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-28-2016, 08:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Why don't you post some pic's or a vid of this problem that is presenting itself onto us. ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 09-28-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was thinking of that after doing some searching on here. It's the original friction wheel and the was a lot of rubber dust in there.

I have a guy coming out to cut some tree roots from my sewer lateral so maybe after he's gone I can get some pictures and a short video if the weather holds out.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-28-2016, 03:13 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshernius View Post
Have a Toro 524 Snowthrower and adjustments only allow me to go in forward or reverse. I was thinking it is just the friction wheel is worn out but not sure. How much rubber should be on the wheel?

Is the drive shaft and friction plate supposed to have any play? I noticed that I can move it backwards and then it slides forwards back into position.

MN 38040
SN is 4001226
I could be a smart azz and say if you want to go left and right you need to use the handlebars. you say you have forward and reverse Are you saying you have no speed control as far as forward and reverse, like you only have one notch that works for forward and one for reverse? Or are you saying you get no reverse? Friction wheel drives are really very basic, there is a drive platter that runs off the engine. Depending on where the friction (rubber) wheel is placed upon that platter with regard to it's center, dictates forward or reverse. Some of the older Toros had the entire friction wheel bracket and reduction gear move and not just the friction (again the rubber wheel) move. If you have the belly pan off you should be able to watch the corresponding movement of the shift/gear lever and the friction wheel as it corresponds to the platter. If you are missing one movement (forward or reverse), note the location of the friction wheel. Forward will be to one side of center and reverse to the other side of center of the platter that runs from the engine. Normal operation would allow near full platter travel of the the rubber friction wheel from center to outside. Reverse only moves a bit out from center. Further out, more speed to the unit. Closer to center less speed.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #5 of 12 Old 09-28-2016, 03:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshernius View Post
I was thinking of that after doing some searching on here. It's the original friction wheel and the was a lot of rubber dust in there.

I have a guy coming out to cut some tree roots from my sewer lateral so maybe after he's gone I can get some pictures and a short video if the weather holds out.
unfortunately the forum won't let you post pictures until you've made 10 posts, soooo.... look around, I'm sure you'll find a few places to say Hi! and then you'll be good to go!
post #6 of 12 Old 11-06-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I videoed the movement of the drive shaft and friction plate but cant figure how or where to upload it. I was trying to do this on photobucket and I'm pretty sure it was possible but it don't work now.

The problem is that I have to make adjustments so that I either only have forward or reverse. I'm not sure if it is just the friction wheel or it could also be something with drive shaft and friction plate moving.

Any idea of where I might be able to host a video?
post #7 of 12 Old 11-06-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
At the top of the photo buy the yellow arrow you can see the amount of space between the friction disc and the bushing. I can push the driveshaft by hand so that the friction disc is up against the bushing. Do you think that there should be this much movement? Might be about 1/2 an inch.

Save

Last edited by eshernius; 11-06-2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: SPell
post #8 of 12 Old 11-06-2016, 08:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 7
I had the same problem with my 724, ended up being the friction disk. From that picture you included it looks like your wheel is pretty shot since it is flat all the way across.

1984 Toro 724 - 7.75hp Briggs Intek OHV repower >> restoration project
2007 Toro CCR Powerlite - 3hp Tecumseh 2-stroke
1971 Gravely Super Convertible 7.6 - 30" mower, snow blade
2005 John Deere G110 - 54" mower, 42" snowblower
post #9 of 12 Old 11-07-2016, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
There was a lot of crumb rubber in there that I cleaned up so I could inspect things and about a 16th of an inch is still visible from the side.

Anyone know if the driveshaft will slide up and down and how much play is normal? Seems like the belt is acting like a tensioner from keeping it from sliding but I would imagine that once the friction wheel engages things are going to shift..
post #10 of 12 Old 11-07-2016, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Is there a spec on the end play or movement of the drive shaft forward and back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page