LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-23-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 2
Powershift 824 impeller shaft question

Have an 824 that was tossing belts under load and finally got around try to fix her. Started it up and saw a lot of play around the impeller shaft, so I split the blower and replaced the spherical flange bearing, which was in tatters, and the new bearing removed all up/down/side play on the shaft.

As I am putting things back together, specifically the big pulley on the impeller shaft, I notice that as I spin the impeller, the shaft will extend or retract about 1" fore/aft. This is not freeplay, and only happens as the impeller is spun and is consistent in action , so my thought is that it's supposed to be there, but I'm looking for confirmation before I button her up. The manual doesn't address this, but does caution "do not preload bearing". Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-23-2016, 04:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1170
Better open up the gear box. sounds if something is amiss in there. LET ME KNOW THE SCORE ON THAT 1.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 17 Old 10-23-2016, 04:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1170
Since you are a newbie here and can not post pics or vids yet. which I think is BLOODY STUPID. pm me for my e-mail if you should feel the need. anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks BKSager thanked for this post
post #4 of 17 Old 11-19-2016, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Finally got around to opening up the gearbox and it looks like a retaining clip is gone (and likely ground to tiny bits) which allows the impeller shaft to slide out on the gears.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-19-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Any ideas as to what to use as gearbox lube/grease and how much?
post #6 of 17 Old 11-19-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Also does not appear to be a gasket in between the gearbox halves. Suggestions?
post #7 of 17 Old 11-19-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
(Sorry for the multiple posts, but trying to hit my 10 count so I can sees the purty pictures)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 17 Old 11-19-2016, 07:02 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 370
Likes (Received): 598
Garage
surprised there is no gasket, but a thin bead of permatex or similiar should seal it up. i have been using JD corn head grease on some of my stuff lately, cant comment on long term effectiveness , but no complaints about the semi liquid stuff so far.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes BKSager liked this post
post #9 of 17 Old 11-19-2016, 07:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 179
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSager View Post
I'm kinda an Ariens guy, but I use " 00 " grease in all my gearboxes. I've found that lithium greases and the like seem to be factory standard in most gearboxes, 30W or even 90W gear oil in older units. The problem I see soo often with these types of lubrication are as follows.....

Lithium grease is thick enough that after centrifugal forces caused by rotating shafts & gears pushes most of the grease away from the gears you only have a little lubrication left for for protection. I've torn apart broken & stripped gear boxes that had pristine grease all around the gears .... the stripped gears. Maybe it was not a factor, but I don't trust that type of lubrication.

30W or 90W oil is good for lubrication, but the seals leak over time and most owners do not check this critical fluid for proper operation.

" 00 " grease is thick enough to not leak out of a worn seal, but thin enough to still stay semi liquid in cold temperatures. Have been using it for many years and not one issue to date.
If you use the quart bottle or smaller tube version just warm it up before squeezing it in, will make the job easier.

Hope my suggestion is helpful. Good luck with your project.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes BKSager liked this post
post #10 of 17 Old 11-19-2016, 07:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 179
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSager View Post
I'm kinda an Ariens guy, but I use " 00 " grease in all my gearboxes. I've found that lithium greases and the like seem to be factory standard in most gearboxes, 30W or even 90W gear oil in older units. The problem I see soo often with these types of lubrication are as follows.....

Lithium grease is thick enough that after centrifugal forces caused by rotating shafts & gears pushes most of the grease away from the gears you only have a little lubrication left for for protection. I've torn apart broken & stripped gear boxes that had pristine grease all around the gears .... the stripped gears. Maybe it was not a factor, but I don't trust that type of lubrication.

30W or 90W oil is good for lubrication, but the seals leak over time and most owners do not check this critical fluid for proper operation.

" 00 " grease is thick enough to not leak out of a worn seal, but thin enough to still stay semi liquid in cold temperatures. Have been using it for many years and not one issue to date.
If you use the quart bottle or smaller tube version just warm it up before squeezing it in, will make the job easier.

Hope my suggestion is helpful. Good luck with your project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page