LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 10-25-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 24
gonna buy my first Toro

Been using a small 22" 5HP MTD 2 Stage thrower for the last ten years...the tranny called it quits last year, and my small engine repair guy told me it would cost me about $300 for a new one....LOL NO WAY!!!! The machine cost me $550 brand new, so no way was I gonna spend that much money on a tranny. Long story short, been researching, and spending allot of time online checking out snowblowers, and I've narrowed my options down to 2 of them. The Toro 724OE, and the Toro Snowmaster 824QXE.

My driveway is 80' x 10', plus 30' of sidewalk, and some walkway and area in backyard. I want/need something with power, because I have to push all the snow to the street from the entire driveway, and it starts to build up by the time I get to the street.

I was originally going to get the 724OE, but I've been looing allot at the 824QXE, and it looks pretty good too. I'm just scared I'll regret settling for a single stage, instead of getting the two stage. All the videos, and reviews on the 824QXE seem great, but I'm scared it won't have the "umph" I am looking for.

I really don't know which one to get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 10-25-2016, 11:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 321
Likes (Received): 145
Not knowing Toronto for snow, but I am a Toro man and 2 stage rules. But I have never used a single stage have a friend with a Toro single and he like it just goes out when the is no more than 6 in . The Toro 724OE will have no problem at all. Let us know what you end up with.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD

Last edited by Hanky; 10-25-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Eafoxjr liked this post
post #3 of 49 Old 10-25-2016, 11:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 74
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 250
Likes (Received): 297
As an owner of an 824QXE you might think there's a bias here but there isn't, I like all machines in some way.

My $.02 on the S-M:

1. After a few years with an Ariens SS522, a Toro Snow Commander and a Troy Bilt Squall I can confidently say the S-M is eons ahead of ANY SS out there, PERIOD. It throws farther, can deal with much deeper snow, doesn't get upset by expansion joints/cracks, and is easier to handle.

2. Can handle snow up to 12" without too much drama or effort. More than that will take longer, but not that much. If big storms comprised of wet/heavy snow are the norm for your area a 2 stager might be better. Especially if you have to get it all to the street every storm (the town allows this?)

3. For the light snows (<6") it is the fastest machine of any (ss or 2st) because it can eat the snow faster than you can walk/feed it in, turns on a dime and the chute controls are effortless. 180 turns are quick!

4. Doesn't like making contact with solid, immovable objects such as curbs or paving stones. Hitting the corner of one of these can dent/bend the high speed rotor. Sure, a newspaper can disable a 2 stager but I feel it is somewhat less vulnerable as the augers of are a little bit beefier and turning much slower.

Let us know what you get (and take pics!)

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower

Last edited by tdipaul; 10-25-2016 at 11:48 PM.
post #4 of 49 Old 10-26-2016, 12:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 321
Likes (Received): 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdipaul View Post
As an owner of an 824QXE you might think there's a bias here but there isn't, I like all machines in some way.

My $.02 on the S-M:

1. After a few years with an Ariens SS522, a Toro Snow Commander and a Troy Bilt Squall I can confidently say the S-M is eons ahead of ANY SS out there, PERIOD. It throws farther, can deal with much deeper snow, doesn't get upset by expansion joints/cracks, and is easier to handle.

2. Can handle snow up to 12" without too much drama or effort. More than that will take longer, but not that much. If big storms comprised of wet/heavy snow are the norm for your area a 2 stager might be better. Especially if you have to get it all to the street every storm (the town allows this?)

3. For the light snows (<6") it is the fastest machine of any (ss or 2st) because it can eat the snow faster than you can walk/feed it in, turns on a dime and the chute controls are effortless. 180 turns are quick!

4. Doesn't like making contact with solid, immovable objects such as curbs or paving stones. Hitting the corner of one of these can dent/bend the high speed rotor. Sure, a newspaper can disable a 2 stager but I feel it is somewhat less vulnerable as the augers of are a little bit beefier and turning much slower.

Let us know what you get (and take pics!)
Good to hear from the man that has one

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #5 of 49 Old 10-26-2016, 04:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1177
MAZEL TOV on that 1.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 49 Old 10-26-2016, 07:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 168
aboard!

Some good advice/comments. What concerns me and I may be wrong, your original post mentioned "an area in backyard." If this area is unpaved you really wouldn't be able to use a single stage machine or a Snowmaster. Additionally you may want to also look at the Toro Power Max 826 and the Ariens Deluxe 24. Best of luck on your search.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

Last edited by Cardo111; 10-26-2016 at 07:07 AM.
post #7 of 49 Old 10-26-2016, 07:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 74
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 250
Likes (Received): 297
Unlike a conventional SS the paddles of the S-M do not make contact with the ground, it rides/slides on adjustable height skids like a 2 stage

Still, I'd go with a two stage for any gravel or grass

This years Deluxe 24 is a snazzy looking machine!

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower

Last edited by tdipaul; 10-26-2016 at 07:25 AM.
post #8 of 49 Old 10-26-2016, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I should've have mentioned the amount of snow we get....some years we barely get any, and other years, the mayor has to call in the army ?!!!! Toronto is funny that way, it's like we're in a small pocket that sometimes doesn't get anything, and other times we get hammered. I'd say average snowfall at a time is 2"-4", and 6"-8" is at the high range. But we do get Times that we get hit with 6" of snow two or three times within a couple of days. My problem is my driveway. I have no where to put the snow on the sides, so I have to push it to the front or back (depending on the wind that day). I also get lots of drifting snow from the roofs. They're calling for allot of snow this year, but last year we barely got any. I'm scared the 824 qxe won't have enough power to push all the build up of snow that accumulates as I'm plowing. What starts off as only 6" ends up being over 12" by the time i get to the end.

I dont mind getting the 724 oe if I have to, I just want to make sure whatever I get gives me the confidence to tackle it. I really like the 824qxe, but I'm scared it won't have the umph I need.
post #9 of 49 Old 10-26-2016, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The area I mentioned before in my backyard is concrete, and my driveway is asphalt (brand new I may add).

I'd probably be perfectly served with the 824qxe 85% of the time, but those last 15% are doozies.

Was at my local toro dealer yesterday," (Kooybros), but I'm gonna have to study the two blowers again before I make the plunge. The last thing I want to do is regret settling for the 824qxe considering the 724 oe is pretty much same price. I just love the agility of the 824
post #10 of 49 Old 10-26-2016, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Everything in me is telling me that I'm going to love the 824, but the little guy on my shoulder is saying to get the 724 .....dilema dilema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in