LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
HELP? TroyBilt Storm 5024

My first season with a snowblower, lived in northern NV mostly, lots of cold not much snow. Same temps here (Idaho) but lots of snow. Bought my first machine during the summer, used hardly at all, Troy Bilt Storm 5024
2 stage. Model 31AH63N2011. From what I have learned, was manufactured in 2008 unless I am wrong. Have used it extensively this season, stabilized fuel, 100% gasoline. No issues until yesterday, motor surging i.e.. speed oscillating after it runs for 15-20 min. then will stall out if under load. Figured its a carburetor issue. Cannot decipher it is a Tecumseh engine or MTD as 2008 was year things changed at Troy.
Would welcome any suggestions for help as it's supposed to snow everyday this week, and the folks that could fix it have a weeks worth of work before they could get to it. And would like to identify the engine so I can find a service manual for it. Found this site and seems loaded with lots of great information and members.
Thanks.

Addendum:
Obviously I posted this in the Introduction section. After having done so, realized most folks do not read intros that often, just real issues, hence my reposting this content here for more exposure. Hopefully I will not run afoul of the administrator for doing so. Thanks for indulging new member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 07:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 26
Garage
Use a fuel system cleaner first, before any wrenching IMO. Easy, cheap.
Sea Foam is my choice for fuel system cleaner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
@mrfixit:

thanks for replying. Fuel is non ethanol, 100% gas, stabilization with well, stabil and seafoam as well. thinking of adding jet/carb cleaner to the fuel
next or get the wrench as you say. thanks.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 07:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 26
Garage
May drop the bowl if it's easy. Increase amount of Sea Foam? Stabil isn't needed with Sea Foam IMO, it's a stabilizer also. I use it for that reason, cleans and stabilizes.

Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 08:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 83
GEvening I/D, Quick check on eRplacements shows that as a Tecumseh L-Head engine. It's a fairly simple carb to remove, clean and install again. Probly doesn't have any adjustments on it. so a thorough cleaning of the main jet, with torch tip cleaners, should have you up and running in short order. GLuck, Jay
post #6 of 15 Old 02-06-2017, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
@ JayzAuto1,

Thanks for the info. Guess my first stop this morning will be to some place that sells torch tip cleaners. Nothing opened yesterday of course.
Welding supply or perhaps Harbor Freight. Everyone here has been great, this site is a lucky find.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-06-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
@ JayzAuto1,

So just looking at eReplacements, engine pictures, there are 2. How does one know it is a Tecumseh engine? Do not see any designation anywhere
noting that. Also, any idea who has service manual for engine and/or the entire machine? Also wondering about who sells carburetors for it, thinking about the future. Thanks again.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-06-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
@ JayzAuto1,

I now see that it is 2 views of the same engine. Still in learning phase here.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-06-2017, 09:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 243
After so many posts you will be able to post pics here, Pics will help us see what you have. As for the carb, once we can figure what engine you have exactly you can get a replacement carb on EBay for around $12-$20 They are chinese made but they work very well and I have installed many of them and all have worked well on the engines I installed them on including on my snow blower and wood chipper. For the engine ID there is a number on the top of it that may be covered by the electric starter plug that can be searched to see exactly which engine it is. Tecumseh engines have quit a few variations but also are very close to each other, They have small engines on almost all small yard equipment. I will see if I can find a service or repair manual, I had a site with them but can't seem to find the link at the moment.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 276
Likes (Given): 2805
Likes (Received): 506
Hello Dave. After looking up your snow blower model number, it appears you have an MTD Chinese made over head valve engine and I believe the service manual link below is for your motor.

http://service.mtdproducts.com/Train...horizontal.pdf

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008 (Gone)
Toro 721-QZR (38741) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page