Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 2
Garage
Storm Tracker 2690 XP Mods

Hello All,

First post... first time snow blower owner... full disclosure, I'm a tech nerd (make computer chips for a living) and very much not handy when it comes to engines etc. I try, but not always successfully.

Anyway... Just bought a used 2690 XP (model 31AM73R3711, which I think makes it a 2011 or 2012?).

I'm considering two modifications and have a question about one:
1) impeller scrapers (or whatever people call them... drill some holes, add some heavy duty rubber to clear the impeller area and not let wet/heavy snow get caught in the chute).
2) LED headlights.

I think my neighbor (who is pretty mechanically inclined) will help me do the impeller mod.
I've done a tone of research on the LED headlights, but electrical and wiring is definitely not my strong suit.
I've ordered nearly all the parts I need to do it (bridge rectifier, capacitors etc. etc).

So here's the question: my blower has 2 wires coming out of it:
Red for heated grips
Yellow for headlight

Can anyone confirm that the yellow is DC directly and what's the voltage?
I plan to try to measure it but again I thought I'd ask here before I google "how to use a multi meter".

Sorry if this isn't the best place for this post... I can/will move the bulk of this post to modifications forum/section and especially the LED mod, the thread on that is great!

thanks to all!

ck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by crack-kitty View Post

So here's the question: my blower has 2 wires coming out of it:
Red for heated grips
Yellow for headlight

Can anyone confirm that the yellow is DC directly and what's the voltage?
I plan to try to measure it but again I thought I'd ask here before I google "how to use a multi meter".

ck
Come on - we're talking a "life skill" - using a multimeter. I think we should let this man learn how to fish, instead of throwing one to him !

But, my guess would be that both wires are DC, and the voltage is about 12 Volts, but when you test it with your meter, you will know exactly !
post #3 of 13 Old 11-11-2017, 01:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 292
Basic electrical diagnostic skills are a huge plus. Definitely learn as much as you can, it will only help.

Iíd actually assume both the red and yellow are AC at various voltage. Lower at idle and higher at full throttle. Like RIT said, only one way to find out. Most leds work properly at a specified range of voltage. Check the lights specifications and check your wiring at idle and full throttle using the multi-meter.

You have the right idea though, full wave bridge, rectifier compacitor, and donít forget a fuse.

I added led lights but went a different direction since I have an on board 12v battery, But I did build a rectifier box for my MTD that I still havenít got around to installing. Hereís a link to it, all the way at the bottom of the first post. I totally over engineered it.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...fications.html

I look forward to seeing your results.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-12-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
Come on - we're talking a "life skill" - using a multimeter. I think we should let this man learn how to fish, instead of throwing one to him !

But, my guess would be that both wires are DC, and the voltage is about 12 Volts, but when you test it with your meter, you will know exactly !
thanks. I definitely am not looking for a hand out (someone to do it for me etc.). but a nudge here and there are a big help.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-12-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
Basic electrical diagnostic skills are a huge plus. Definitely learn as much as you can, it will only help.

Iíd actually assume both the red and yellow are AC at various voltage. Lower at idle and higher at full throttle. Like RIT said, only one way to find out. Most leds work properly at a specified range of voltage. Check the lights specifications and check your wiring at idle and full throttle using the multi-meter.

You have the right idea though, full wave bridge, rectifier compacitor, and donít forget a fuse.

I added led lights but went a different direction since I have an on board 12v battery, But I did build a rectifier box for my MTD that I still havenít got around to installing. Hereís a link to it, all the way at the bottom of the first post. I totally over engineered it.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...fications.html

I look forward to seeing your results.
Thanks! I'm heading out to the garage to test it now and then start the installation... cross your fingers.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-12-2017, 12:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by crack-kitty View Post
thanks. I definitely am not looking for a hand out (someone to do it for me etc.). but a nudge here and there are a big help.
Nuts - if I was home (Rotterdam), I would do it for you, but we've been spending the bulk of our time at Northville (Sacandaga). Classicat is near you, and he is a wealth of knowledge.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #7 of 13 Old 11-12-2017, 01:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 276
Likes (Given): 2800
Likes (Received): 506
Hello and welcome to SBF crack-kitty. Below is a link to the MTD engine service manual and page 85 shows how to check the alternator output which is both AC and DC. Yellow wire should read 13-18 VAC, Red wire should read 17-26 VDC.Hope this helps.

http://service.mtdproducts.com/Train...horizontal.pdf

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008 (Gone)
Toro 721-QZR (38741) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Last edited by Grunt; 11-12-2017 at 01:31 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-12-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
Hello and welcome to SBF crack-kitty. Below is a link to the MTD engine service manual and page 85 shows how to check the alternator output which is both AC and DC. Yellow wire should read 13-18 VAC, Red wire should read 17-26 VDC.Hope this helps.

http://service.mtdproducts.com/Train...horizontal.pdf
This is Awesome!!! Thank you.

I just checked before reading this and I got 11V AC on the yellow (0v on DC setting of meter) and 12V DC on the red (3.7v on AC setting of meter).
I checked both in both settings on the meter since I wasn't 100% sure.

I also checked the current headlight, and it looked like 11V. I think I had my throttle all the way up but maybe needed to push it a little more if the AC was only at 11V.

thanks again!
post #9 of 13 Old 11-12-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Update:

After what I thought was doing enough homework to do this LED project, I'm left with more questions than answers.
The big concern for me is what is the source power and I should have looked at that first (From the manual that Grunt linked to, I'm under the recommended AC and DC output and the manual then says replace the stator).
I bought 30V 18watt Cree LED's.
I don't have 30V coming from anywhere, and when it comes to this stuff, I don't feel comfortable enough to move forward.

I'm willing to learn, but not even sure where to start (so far, literally googled "can I run LED's at less than rated voltage"... and ended up with something about current limiting resistors etc).

I need to do more homework I guess. I was all ready to use the AC and a bridge rectifier... I had my fuse before and after the rectifier all setup, I have capacitors... but I'm just not confident in what I'm doing (and honestly, a little deflated because I was pretty sure I had done enough homework to move forward today).

Anyway, thanks for your help so far. I'm going to read up a little more on the electrical engineering end of things and I'll come back here if I have some specific questions that are snowblower related.
Stay tuned... I'll get there!

Thanks again and I'm still looking forward to my first season as a snow blower owner... and if the lights don't happen this year, I'm okay with that!
post #10 of 13 Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
At the risk of repeatedly exposing my 'noob' status.... I went back to the product description on my LED lights... 30V is what I remembered, but they say "Operating Voltage: DC 10-30V". So I'll go with "false alarm" and "sorry for wasting your time".

I'll proceed with the mod, using the DC source directly skipping the rectifier (unless someone has advice as to why using the AC and converting to DC makes more sense?).

Hopefully back in a few days with a success story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page