Troy Bilt Vortex 31BH5DR7563 revs up when taken off choke (brand new) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 12-24-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 3
Troy Bilt Vortex 31BH5DR7563 revs up when taken off choke (brand new)

Very strange problem I got here...

Bought 2 weeks ago, followed the instructions to the letter, had an oil change.

2 days ago it was running perfectly well, I start it today and its as if someone put nitro in there.

One, I barely pulled on the starting cord and honestly it almost scared me, like something explosive was in there and the engine started revving up to its maximum within half a second, I think it even burned the light.

Fresh gas (same tank), brand new machine, worked two days ago, now it wants to explode.

When I start it in full choke position it will idle somewhat normally... as soon as I touch the choke button (and I mean barely touch it) the engine revs up like there is no tomorrow.

Thats right, I'm not even switching it off full choke, merely pressing in the direction sends the engine in highest revs possible.

What can it be ?

Thanks in advance and merry christmas, an answer would be the best gift I could receive because I'm stucking in my driveway with 50 cm of heavy snow :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-24-2017, 07:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Welcome to SBF and Merry Christmas!

I assume you don't have access to a tachometer nor able to gauge what ~ 3600 RPMs sounds like.

Exceeding the recommended RPM could destroy the engine.

Asking you to upload a video of it puts the engine at risk.

Overrevving could be caused by a stuck carb throttle linkage, an obstruction or a busted internal governor (assuming you didn't monkey with the linkage, governor spring tension, etc.)

Does the engine have a throttle control where you can run it at reduced-throttle?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #3 of 30 Old 12-24-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
Welcome to SBF and Merry Christmas!

I assume you don't have access to a tachometer nor able to gauge what ~ 3600 RPMs sounds like.

Exceeding the recommended RPM could destroy the engine.

Asking you to upload a video of it puts the engine at risk.

Overrevving could be caused by a stuck carb throttle linkage, an obstruction or a busted internal governor (assuming you didn't monkey with the linkage, governor spring tension, etc.)

Does the engine have a throttle control where you can run it at reduced-throttle?
No, no access to RPM meter, but I'd assume around 3-4000 RPM, I didn't let it run for more than a few seconds at that rate it is scary and the whole thing vibrates.

The governor could be stucked even on a brand new machine ?

I didn't open it or nothing it is brand new and was working perfectly two days ago :/

What makes me think it could be a not well oiled throtle linkage is that there is absolutely no effect when I move the throtle, it only stops when I reach full stop !

The only other thing affecting the RPM is when I touch the choke button, as soon as I touch it it starts revving up to full speed.
post #4 of 30 Old 12-24-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
@classiccat

There also used to be quite a marked difference between the levels on the choke button.

Now it simply goes crazy when I touch it...

But what puzzles me most, is how easy it started... it really felt like nitro, the engine didn't even do one rev and it was already firing up like it was warm ! I could have pulled the crank with two fingers it would have started.

I actually see the mechanism that moves when I move the throttle lever, it looks brand new, there is no water or corrosion in there.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-24-2017, 08:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahunata View Post
@classiccat

There also used to be quite a marked difference between the levels on the choke button.

Now it simply goes crazy when I touch it...

But what puzzles me most, is how easy it started... it really felt like nitro, the engine didn't even do one rev and it was already firing up like it was warm ! I could have pulled the crank with two fingers it would have started.

I actually see the mechanism that moves when I move the throttle lever, it looks brand new, there is no water or corrosion in there.
I have to confess, I'm trying to gauge your experience with outdoor power equipment vs a malfunctioning machine.

It sounds like it MIGHT be running properly, you're simply surprised with how quickly it popped to life when starting & it's running loud/rough b/c it's partially choked (running too rich (due to partial choke) causing it to shake).

Try starting at half-throttle (this usually disengages the governor) and get it off the choke without it sounding like it's running away.

Sidenote: I usually avoid starting an engine at full throttle.

It should smooth-out as you open the choke...at that point gradually increase the throttle.

At any point it sounds like it's running away on you, shut it off.

try to record a video and post it.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Ahunata thanked for this post
Likes Ahunata liked this post
post #6 of 30 Old 12-24-2017, 09:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Now that I see this I agree with that diagnosis.
post #7 of 30 Old 12-24-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sounds good I will try it...

One question however, previously to any of this happening when I pulled the throttle to the right the engine would slowly fade off. Now there is no difference until I hit the stop point.

so its either running a little too rich while fully choked, and when I move the throttle to attempt to lower the idle nothing happens until I hit stop.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself just want to make sure nothing gets lost in translation
post #8 of 30 Old 12-24-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I just want to make sure I don't break it... it sounds awfully high rpm...

can't take it back to the store unless I shovel 20 inches of snow on a good 50 feet... christmas will have to wait...

*sigh*

I will try to start it as previously said at half throttle and see if the governor kicks in tomorrow morning, thanks for the replies much appreciated !
post #9 of 30 Old 12-25-2017, 08:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
Every engine that I have has its own personality, and likes to be treated as an individual; but to refresh my memory for this Thread, I just re-read the instructions for the Tecumseh Engine that powers my 2007 Snowblower . . . . something that I don't recall doing since it was new !

The Instructions, which I've been following religiously (or habitually) for over 10 years, say to move Speed Control (that seems to mean Throttle) all the way to FAST (which would indicate Full) and to position the Choke at FULL in preparation for Starting.

Then, upon being started (and paraphrasing Tecumseh's Instructions) I immediately begin being reducing the Engine Speed 25% or 50% and I set the Choke to about or less while I let the engine warm up without missing, for a minute or so, and when warmed up, I eliminate the Choke altogether and return the Speed (Throttle) to FULL while I put the machine to work.

Choking any engine should be considered ONLY as an aide in getting it started; not as a setting while it's being used.

I recognize that Tecumseh is now out of business; but their instructions still work for me.
post #10 of 30 Old 12-25-2017, 09:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 157
Likes (Received): 38
It sounds as if your throttle linkage may be disconnected in there somewhere. Get a good flashlight and operate the throttle lever without the engine running to see what moves or what doesn't move. It is also possible a governor control spring may have become disconnected.
Here is the engine repair manual that may help you out.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...X3Ev3zKHW3bNxJ
See Chapter 3 and 4.

Troy-Bilt Storm Tracker 2890

Last edited by jonnied12; 12-25-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page