Changing the Friction Wheel on a 2890 storm tracker - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-07-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Changing the Friction Wheel on a 2890 storm tracker

Plowing through the 5 feet of snow we get last weekend (Sierra Nevada) I started hearing a squealing sound. When I went to inspect, the rubber on the friction wheel was super low. I have a replacement, but before I disassemble any more than I already have, how do I get the friction wheel off to replace it. My machine has treads and a planetary gear assembly on either side of the rod. There is a bearing and a thick washer on either end that slip off, but I don't see how to remove the gears so I can slide off the friction wheel.

Anyone with experience? It's supposed to snow another 2 feet this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-07-2019, 10:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I have experience with friction disks but zero with treads. The gears I've removed have a roll pin going through that would need to be punched out, or a bolt. Maybe the same with yours? Turn the gears and look. I know with wheeled machines the wheels need to be removed and the axle or hex shaft needs to be slid out.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #3 of 17 Old 02-07-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The friction wheel slides back and forth on this thing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fS6...ew?usp=sharing

I can't see how to take the ends off to get the friction wheel off for replacement. It is also looking like I'll need to disengage or remove the tread assembly to make it happen. Unless there is some easy way I'm missing, this is a pretty huge hassle for something I will need to do every other year.

Last edited by mammothdude; 02-07-2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-07-2019, 09:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothdude View Post
I can't see how to take the ends off to get the friction wheel off for replacement. It is also looking like I'll need to disengage or remove the tread assembly to make it happen. Unless there is some easy way I'm missing, this is a pretty huge hassle for something I will need to do every other year.
OK, so is your 2890 one that has the triangular shaped tracks with 3 axles? I'll see if I can find a procedure for that one... Do you have the exact model number?

The friction wheel in my old HS80 lasted almost 33 years. I wouldn't think you'd have to service it very often?

Last edited by tabora; 02-07-2019 at 09:47 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-08-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It does have the triangular tread design (I'll check the model # when I get home), but it looks like there is only one axle that connects to a big gear on the track assembly. There are 2 other rods that give the tracks stability and connect to the body of the machine. If I can easily remove the track assemblies, it will be way easier to get at the friction wheel, but I'm still not sure how to take off the gears on the ends of the friction wheel rod (I don't see any screws or pins).
post #6 of 17 Old 02-08-2019, 01:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 241
I checked, and apparently MTD implies that special tools are required for removing the planetary units. The suggestion is made that an authorized service center may be the only recourse?
NOTE: Special tools are required and several
components must be removed in order to
replace the unitís friction wheel rubber. See
your authorized service dealer to have friction
wheel rubber replaced or contact Customer
Support.
I would have thought that they were just held on by a circlip or something?

Last edited by tabora; 02-08-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-08-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
This machine is only 3-4 years old but has seen a lot of action over that time. I never thought that the rubber would wear down that quickly, but TroyBilt says to check or replace every 25 hours of use. 25 hours of use for me is about every 2-3 years.

We'll see how much time and money this takes up. It might mean switching to a different machine.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-08-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabora View Post
I checked, and apparently MTD implies that special tools are required for removing the planetary units. The suggestion is made that an authorized service center may be the only recourse?
This is my biggest fear (and the reason there is no info anywhere I've looked). I'll put a call in to our local shop (They have a good reputation) and report back on the time and cost for future reference.

Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-08-2019, 03:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 99
Have you measured the thickness of the rubber on the friction disc? My Ariens has only a 1/4" when new so when it is half worn at 1/8" it looks worn out until you measure.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #10 of 17 Old 02-09-2019, 11:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 83
Have you tried the MTD Website?? They have many of the service manuals available for D/L. I have one titled " Medium Frame Snowblowers Document Number 769-09302" that details all the service procedures. You did not specify a model number, so I'm not positive it covers your unit. But MTD has many of the Service Manuals available for free and immediate D/L. It's worth a look.
Or if you can provide your model and serial number, I can check the manuals I have to see if it's covered.

GLuck, Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in