2410 Starts/runs for a few seconds...then dies - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-10-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Question 2410 Starts/runs for a few seconds...then dies

This is probably elementary and I really do apologize for not examining this forum more thoroughly for the answer, but my situation goes like this:

Snowblower has been sitting many months.
The oil level looks good.
Spark plug hasn't been changed since my father had it service last Spring but it looks good.
I'm pretty sure my father emptied the gas tank last Spring before storage.
I went to gas station and got fresh (87 octane) gasoline and have filled the tank.

I've looked through the manual (troubleshooting tips) and can't figure out what this seemingly simple issue might be.

I don't see that this 2410 has a fuel shutoff lever.

It has not been started/running since probably last late Winter/early Spring.

I got it to turn over/run using the pulley the first time and it ran for about 5-10 seconds. Then I plugged it in and after walking away after trying again to get it started, I did get it started/running again for about 5 seconds, the second time using the electric starter.

Should I spray carb cleaner inside the sparkplug after I pull the plug out? Should I throw a new plug in it?

What am I doing wrong? I have the instruction for starting it (where to have the choke, how many times to prime it and so on).

Sorry if this is an obvious fix and all...I bought my father's house and got the snowblower with the house after he died last May.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-10-2019, 01:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 241
Start by cleaning the carb thoroughly... The float valve or jets are likely clogged/gummed up.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks North Star thanked for this post
Likes North Star, aldfam4 liked this post
post #3 of 11 Old 02-10-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the video. I am going to watch it.

Just an update. When I went out there earlier, after letting it sit all night, I primed it and used the electric start, and it started and ran for - my guess would be a half a minute or more?, and then it died.

I went to the store and got some STA-BIL and put an ounce in there. I bought some carburetor cleaner as well, to maybe spray into the spark plug socket if I pull it back out again.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-10-2019, 03:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Welcome to the forum! Spraying carb cleaner into the spark plug hole won't do much to help fix the situation.

If you want, you can give it a spray (maybe for a second) into the carburetor's intake, then turn on the choke, and try to start it. If it will start for a few seconds, that helps confirm that you have a fuel problem. Which seems very like anyhow, from what you're describing.

You could remove the carburetor bowl, and spray the carb cleaner up the center "post", in the underside middle of the carb. Though without a fuel shutoff to close, be aware that if you remove the carb bowl, gas will start coming out the bottom of the carb, until the tank is empty.

If the tank is mostly empty, you might be able to tip the machine forward, onto its nose, with minimal fuel leakage. Then remove the carb bowl to spray in there. Check your instruction manual for their suggestions about tipping it forward. Some brands call this putting the machine into the service position.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes North Star, aldfam4 liked this post
post #5 of 11 Old 02-10-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Welcome to the forum! Spraying carb cleaner into the spark plug hole won't do much to help fix the situation.

If you want, you can give it a spray (maybe for a second) into the carburetor's intake, then turn on the choke, and try to start it. If it will start for a few seconds, that helps confirm that you have a fuel problem. Which seems very like anyhow, from what you're describing.

You could remove the carburetor bowl, and spray the carb cleaner up the center "post", in the underside middle of the carb. Though without a fuel shutoff to close, be aware that if you remove the carb bowl, gas will start coming out the bottom of the carb, until the tank is empty.

If the tank is mostly empty, you might be able to tip the machine forward, onto its nose, with minimal fuel leakage. Then remove the carb bowl to spray in there. Check your instruction manual for their suggestions about tipping it forward. Some brands call this putting the machine into the service position.

I filled it up with new gasoline. As far as I know it was entirely empty before I put the new stuff in there, though I can't say for certain.

So it's been topped off (a little above the red line inside - though I don't think that should be causing any of the non-start problems.).

I just put an ounce or so of STA-BIL in there about an hour and a half ago. I am going to go back out shortly and see if it won't run at this point.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-11-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Is there any way to get this machine to run without going to the extreme of disassembling the whole thing (carburetor) to clean it?

Again, just now as I went back out there after letting it sit all night again, it started and ran for about a half a minute, and now it will not start back up again.

Last edited by North Star; 02-11-2019 at 12:57 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-11-2019, 01:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 200
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 555
Likes (Received): 107
In the future - consider ethanol free gas - its a bit more expensive but well worth it.

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Craftsman - 88934 - 10HP 28"
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #8 of 11 Old 02-11-2019, 04:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
It will keep starting and stalling until you clean the carb. you may be able to use some small needle nose vise grips to pinch off the fuel line if you do not have a shut off valve.
As it sounds even if you get it to stay running in its present state , does not mean that it is going to run correctly or have the power to actually blow snow.

If you are not comfortable pulling the carb apart you may want to consider just buying a new carb based off your model and ser# then after switching out the carbs, try your hand at cleaning and rebuilding your old one.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr liked this post
post #9 of 11 Old 02-12-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Looks like I'll be shoveling snow for the rest of this Winter.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-12-2019, 02:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Hopefully it doesn't come to that!

You can try a quick and dirty carb cleaning by removing the bolt at the center of the carb bowl, and removing the bowl. Then spray carb cleaner up the center post of the carb, and into any little openings you can see. Then make sure the bowl gasket is in the right place, and reinstall the carb bowl.

That involves the least amount of removal, and just a can of carburetor cleaner. It might work.

Or, the odds are good that you can buy a replacement carb for somewhere around $15 on Amazon/eBay. A few more bolts to remove, but also a higher likelihood of fixing the problem.

Both approaches are fairly straightforward, and beat the heck out of shoveling!

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes North Star liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in