post #1 of 2 Old 02-13-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Model 42010 Question

Hello Everyone,
Today while using my 42010, a clicking noise developed that was definitely part of the drive train. It seemed to get worse at the slower speeds (1-5) on this machine. It has been getting harder to switch speeds lately, by that I mean I must apply a good amount of force to move the selector. Especially when going from forward to reverse. I realize that this machine is going on 20 years old but it is in really great shape aside from this issue. Time for a new machine or is this repairable? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
This is an old Bolens design that dates back to the 80s. For the shifting issue, you need to lube the shaft as shown in this video:

That's forum member
@Sblg43 right there.

For the clicking issue, put it up in the service position just like in that video, and then see if the axle bushings have excessive wear in them. MTD still sells replacement bushings that's about $15 each: MTD 1739471

I find it to be a very robust design other than the axle bushings. I'd definitely fix it if everything else is in good condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in