LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 03-02-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
2410 Cold Start

I have a Troy Bilt snow blower. It is the 24" model. I have an issue with starting it. The last time I started it was back in November and here it is March already. I did leave some gas in it over the past 5 months. I understand it is not a good idea to leave gas sitting in the tank over a period of time.

I moved the slider to CHOKE, I moved the slider to the rabbit and I primed it maybe 6 times. I pulled the handle and didn't start. I let it sit for a minute and pulled the handle again a few times. Nothing. Next, I tried to electric start and nothing as well. I tried to prime it some more and still nothing.

I am not familiar with the internal parts of the machine or know how to check it. Since I am not familiar I don't want to start taking things apart to replace or fix something. I know it is a machine and it could be any number of part(s) relating to it not starting.

Is there something I can try to get it to start again?

Last edited by guyguy; 03-02-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
to SBF guyguy

I've had a 2410 for a number of years and I've been happy with it. It's started and worked well over the years. It was a hand me down. At the end of the season I get as much gas out of the tank as I can and I just start it up and let it run till it dies so the tank and carb are as dry as I can get them. Second best would be to add some fuel stabilizer like Stabil and leave it with a full tank and the fuel shutoff, off just in case the carb developed a leak while stored. Once you add the stabilizer you would need to run it for a few minutes to make sure that treated fuel makes it to the carb.

Ok then, no start. Six primes on my machine would likely flood it. It's always easier to prime more than to try and go crazy right from the start. Cold engine, full choke, full throttle, one prime (cold outside) and pull it over two or three times. No start give it two primes and pull again. For the most part I've never needed to prime mine more than twice. More than that and realistically all you have is gas coming back out of the carb and dripping down the machine. When you hit that prime button your'e pushing air into the carb bowl and pushing raw gas up into the throat of the carb. It really can't hold much so more than two really doesn't do much good for starting.

Since you have old gas I would try to use starting fluid. Just a shot. Problem is that on your 2410 there is a plastic cover that wraps around three sides of the engine that also covers the carb so it's hard to get under there to spray into the carb. You could pull the spark plug and give a quick shot, finger tight the plug, pop on the wire and yank it. If it starts then shut it down and tighten the plug properly.
You might want to pull that plug to see if you smell a lot of gas in the cylinder as in it's flooded.

If you have a way to do it I'd recommend draining the old gas out and starting with fresh. If the tanks low you might be able to get away with just filling it full with fresh.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stabil marine 6x4.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	154327  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-02-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the response. Most likely I did prime it too many times and flooded it. How do I remove the gas and drain it? I know I can remove the gas from the tank but how do I drain it if it is flooded?
post #4 of 21 Old 03-02-2019, 12:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
You could remove the spark plug, and blow out the plug, if it's wet with gas.

I haven't had many issues with flooding machines, but my thought would be to just give it some time (an hour or so) to dry out. Then try again, with minimal priming to begin.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 21 Old 03-02-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
How do I remove the spark plug? I think it uses a special type of wrench to remove it. If not I could buy it from Home Depot or Lowes.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-02-2019, 12:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
An appropriate-size deep ratchet socket should do it. You can get spark plug sockets, which also help hold onto the plug as you remove it. But a normal deep socket should work.

Alternately, an open-ended wrench, or even an adjustable wrench, might work, depending on how much access you have to the spark plug.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 21 Old 03-02-2019, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
The easiest way to drain the gas if you're talking about the tank is to pull the hose off the fuel shutoff valve with the valve off, place a container under it and open the valve.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-02-2019, 01:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 154
how long was the gas sitting in the tank before November? i would guess you may need to pull the float bowl and clean the main jet. possibly even check to make sure the needle is not sticking.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #9 of 21 Old 03-02-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So, before I taking out the spark plug I thought I would try it again.

#1 No prime. 3 pulls and nothing.
Waited a minute
#2 No prime. 3 pulls again. Nothing.
#3 3 primes and 3 pulls. Nothing.

Tomorrow, I will have to try and take out the spark plug and look at it. Prior to November there was very little gas in the tank. Again, I don't know the internal parts.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-02-2019, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
As Kiss4aFrog said, using a spray of starting fluid (or WD40, or carb cleaner, something flammable) will help you understand if you're just dealing with a fuel-supply problem. I prefer to spray it into the carb, but he said that's tough to access, so just a bit into the spark plug hole is another viable option.

If it will then start for a few seconds, you know your problem is that the engine isn't getting fuel, or isn't getting good fuel.

If you still don't get anything, then maybe it's something else.

Just to double-check the basics:
- If there's a fuel shutoff valve, that's open?
- If there's a key, or ignition switch, etc, that's in, or on?
- The tank has some fresh gas?

I know what my engines should feel/sound like when I push the primer button. But I'm not familiar with this one. K4aF, should you hear a little "whoosh" or gurgle when priming this? Should gas eventually drip from the carb? Just wondering if there's an easy way to kind of confirm that the carb is actually getting gas.

I replaced a carb last week, and wasted some time pulling the cord, and getting nothing. Tried priming it, and didn't see gas spraying into the carb where I usually would, which was odd. Checked the tank, and realized it was empty The primer behavior gave me a hint that no gas was getting to the carb.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 03-02-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in