electric start on 42010, intermittet mesh/clash - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 04-26-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
electric start on 42010, intermittet mesh/clash

Have intermittent AC starter motor. After resorting to recoil last winter dug into it now.

Removed enough to move the engine shroud away enough to see the flywheel and pinion. Both seem in good shape.

Applied power to the motor and, sure enough, it engaged and turned the engine over. Good planning on my part to have disconnected the spark plug.

But, on second try, the pinon extended properly, but did not engaged the flywheel teeth, instead, it deflected enough to simply spin around making some annoying noise while it skated over the flywheel teeth.

This is an "after market" starter from "DB Electric" or something like that. I have replaced the starter pinion with a kit I got from Amazon or Ebay, I guess. Also, I have another started I tried, same provider, with similar intermittent function.

I notice there is a lot of "play" in the pinon as it extends out, manually, which, I guess, is to assist in allowing it to mesh with the flywheel teeth.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in