LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-05-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Chute / Crank Assembly and Adjustment

Hello everyone, I just got a 31AS63N2766 Troy Bilt 24" 208 cc snow blower for my father in law. (I have a 28" with the joystick)

Anyhow, I bought it direct from Troybilt, so it arrived in pieces in the box. I assembled the chute (the clips) and have so far been unable to get the crank to work properly.

Any ideas on how the hand crank is supposed to be mated to the chute? Or are there some specific directions? The screwing (as the crank turns) doesn't seem to move the chute properly (in fact it trys to bend the plastic rim)...

I'm boggled. Any ideas? Troybilt customer support thought I was stupid or something. I must be missing something here.

It seems so simple to assemble, however, it doesn't work. I'd love to know if there is a really simple trick to this so I can get this machine running.

Trying to get this to work.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by donbrownzd; 02-05-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Anyone know how to assemble this out of the box correctly? I really need help. Thanks.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I don't sorry. The Troy Bilt that is at my mother's house just has a clevis pin and is slides into the hole by the chute...

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-14-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have the same pin however the gears don't seem to line up properly.

Any other input would be greatly appreciafed.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-14-2014, 01:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Not to sound bad here, but did you try turning the chute or the handle a bit? Usually I get the gears lined up with the rod back a bit and then give it a shove forward into the hole and put the clip on.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The Troy Bilt chute control issue is a manufacturing defect on certain units, apparantly. I purchased my 2140 from Lowe's back in October 2013. Stupidly, I did nor verify the correct operation of the chute control prior to purchasing and so now, like the other posters here, I have a snow blower that I can use only if I can live with the snow going in one direction. The loosen and re-tighten the two screws remedy in the owners manual of course does not work, but does serve as an acknowlegment that the manufacturer knows about the defect. As for Lowe's, their suggestion is that I pay them $185 to have the unit picked up plus "parts and labor" to repair.

I'm going to sell it on Craigslist and buy a Toro which is what I should have done in the first place...my bad!
post #7 of 11 Old 03-02-2014, 02:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 54
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IANorwalk View Post
The Troy Bilt chute control issue is a manufacturing defect on certain units, apparantly. I purchased my 2140 from Lowe's back in October 2013. Stupidly, I did nor verify the correct operation of the chute control prior to purchasing and so now, like the other posters here, I have a snow blower that I can use only if I can live with the snow going in one direction. The loosen and re-tighten the two screws remedy in the owners manual of course does not work, but does serve as an acknowlegment that the manufacturer knows about the defect. As for Lowe's, their suggestion is that I pay them $185 to have the unit picked up plus "parts and labor" to repair.

I'm going to sell it on Craigslist and buy a Toro which is what I should have done in the first place...my bad!
donbrownzd quote. (since I can't seem to multiquote)
Troybilt customer support thought I was stupid or something. I must be missing something here.

donbrownzd, throw the defect back issue into their face and see what they say.

I hate shoveling SNOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
post #8 of 11 Old 03-03-2014, 04:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Troybilt not interested in hearing about the issue any more (guess they've been bombarded). Their response is "see the fix in the manual."
post #9 of 11 Old 09-25-2014, 09:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Any luck?
post #10 of 11 Old 09-26-2014, 04:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbrownzd View Post
Hello everyone, I just got a 31AS63N2766 Troy Bilt 24" 208 cc snow blower for my father in law. (I have a 28" with the joystick)

Anyhow, I bought it direct from Troybilt, so it arrived in pieces in the box. I assembled the chute (the clips) and have so far been unable to get the crank to work properly.

Any ideas on how the hand crank is supposed to be mated to the chute? Or are there some specific directions? The screwing (as the crank turns) doesn't seem to move the chute properly (in fact it trys to bend the plastic rim)...

I'm boggled. Any ideas? Troybilt customer support thought I was stupid or something. I must be missing something here.

It seems so simple to assemble, however, it doesn't work. I'd love to know if there is a really simple trick to this so I can get this machine running.

Trying to get this to work.

Thanks,

Don
it would help if you posted pictures of it. then maybe find a way to modify it. ALOHA to the forms.:c ool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page