LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-20-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
Parts source for a Troy-Bilt 42050

Is there any "secret" parts source to get parts for a Troy-Bilt 42050 snow blower? I need a gear case or impeller shaft as the impeller shaft broke off inside the gear case. I can't find either part anywhere.

I was going to buy an Ariens or Toro Professional model, but I can't see spending $2,300 for something that doesn't have steel as thick as my 20 year old Troy-Bilt. The Toro even has an aluminum gear case instead of cast iron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-20-2019, 07:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 250
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 739
Likes (Received): 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader2580 View Post
Is there any "secret" parts source to get parts for a Troy-Bilt 42050 snow blower? I need a gear case or impeller shaft as the impeller shaft broke off inside the gear case. I can't find either part anywhere.

I was going to buy an Ariens or Toro Professional model, but I can't see spending $2,300 for something that doesn't have steel as thick as my 20 year old Troy-Bilt. The Toro even has an aluminum gear case instead of cast iron.
Grunt's your man.

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Craftsman - 88934 - 10HP 28"
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
post #3 of 20 Old 12-20-2019, 07:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 747
Likes (Received): 268
on a toro yes it is alum, and not even treated to resit corrosion, they are all cheating people with low grade machines holding a good name
post #4 of 20 Old 12-20-2019, 08:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 223
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87powershiftx2 View Post
on a toro yes it is alum, and not even treated to resit corrosion, they are all cheating people with low grade machines holding a good name

Why did you buy one then?
post #5 of 20 Old 12-20-2019, 08:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87powershiftx2 View Post

dont listen to him about toros. in my opinion the tor powermax is one of the best machines you can buy in there price range. they throw the furthest have the best chute control setup and despite there use of plastic they use a strong durable plastic that holds up extremely well. i have not seen any corrosion issues on the 30 or so that have come through the shop this year unless they had been poorly maintained or improperly cleaned
post #6 of 20 Old 12-20-2019, 09:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 287
almost seems like they are made of unobtainium. this place will let you order them but hard to say if they can get them or maybe they just don't know they are discontinued or something. still may want to tear it apart to see what shape everything is in. if need be you could also stop by a machine shop and see what they say. they may be able to fix what you got for a lot less than a new snowblower. with a lathe and a welder i think that could likely be fix pretty easy.
https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/mtd-...ft-impell.html

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #7 of 20 Old 12-20-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
almost seems like they are made of unobtainium. this place will let you order them but hard to say if they can get them or maybe they just don't know they are discontinued or something. still may want to tear it apart to see what shape everything is in. if need be you could also stop by a machine shop and see what they say. they may be able to fix what you got for a lot less than a new snowblower. with a lathe and a welder i think that could likely be fix pretty easy.
https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/mtd-...ft-impell.html
Have you actually tried to find a machine shop that will do a job like this? Most machine shops are really job shops that specialize in making small runs of parts for customers. They don't do jobs like this.

I called a bunch of machine shops last summer to try to find a shop that would fix a part for my Groundsmaster mower. I never found anyone that would do the job.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-20-2019, 11:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 287
never needed something like this fix. closest to a machine shop that i have ever needed was the driveshaft. cut it on my dads coffee table and took it BIL's work to weld it up. cold maybe see if a highschool metal/machine shop may take it on. i would almost consider trying to weld it up in my driveway but a machine shop would do a better job. bevel the edges put the 2 pieces together on a piece of angle iron and tack them together, check for straightness then weld them up and hope it is straight enough. the harder part would be removing excess material but not taking off too much. the other option would be to try and find a parts machine for cheap or find a solid old machine that just needs an engine.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #9 of 20 Old 12-21-2019, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It would be an easy repair if the shaft had not snapped inside the gear case. I have an exploded diagram of the gear case and I suspect based on the diagram that the shaft broke right behind the worm gear. I have not taken the gear case apart yet.

I do have a friend with a lath and maybe he could help me make a new shaft depending on how the worm gear attaches.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-21-2019, 05:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Likes (Given): 747
Likes (Received): 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by arienskids View Post
dont listen to him about toros. in my opinion the tor powermax is one of the best machines you can buy in there price range. they throw the furthest have the best chute control setup and despite there use of plastic they use a strong durable plastic that holds up extremely well. i have not seen any corrosion issues on the 30 or so that have come through the shop this year unless they had been poorly maintained or improperly cleaned
don't listen!! you should have to work on them in a dealer setting, ok yes they state warranted for life but with many exceptions,

yes the machine can blow a mile, it's just now made inferior material's cheap steel that rusts from under the paint , un coated alloy that can't handle salt .plastic sorry I've had salt pebbles blow through both sections, and that lower cover one costs $88.00 plus shipping and tax. or about 100 total, need to get it off to give access to the inner workings?like a auger bearing, those molded bolt holes are a one time only, they will round out trying to tighten the nuts under that hold it down, never mind getting it back off, it's reason the new ones are all steel,

my old toro was 30 years old and never showed it's age. OK lets get down to brass tack's what isn't now made as cheap as possible with NO concern of lasting, after all we live now in a throw away world,
and by the way after every use it got washed with desalting chemicals and lots of clean hot water, still rusted from under the paint the auger housing looks more like a boat motor zinc after a year in the ocean

Last edited by 87powershiftx2; 12-21-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page