LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-26-2014, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Troy-Bilt Storm 2410 for $325?

I just picked up a like new TB Storm 2410 with the 179cc mill. Was $325 a good deal? What is the consensus on this rig? Anything that I should look out for with this model? I will be moving to Fairbanks, AK this summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
Tip it up and check for play in the bushings for the wheel drive axle. Also check the condition of the friction wheel.
Pull the shear pins and make sure the wheels are free on the axle and the augers spin on their shafts too.
My 2410 was a hand me down with bad axle bushings, worn out skid shoes and a friction disc without rubber that chewed up the flat drive plate.
Replaced all that stuff and it got me through the winter doing a 375' driveway in Wisconsin. I wish it was built stronger but it gets the job done.
Would recommend doing the impeller modification to it though to help it with wet snow. My 2410 has bolt holes that will fit the Ariens skid shoes. They were under $20 bucks at home depot, they are thicker and they are dual sided compared to the stock troy shoes. Mounted them more to the front on the auger housing. The bucket has three holes from the factory. The Ariens shoes come with bigger carriage bolts that the troys. I used the original troy hardware but read that because the housing isn't that thick you can put the Ariens carriage bolt in there and it will pull itself through. Haven't tried that yet but if I run across the Ariens carriage bolt hardware bag I'm going to.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 12-01-2014 at 10:36 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-27-2014, 12:20 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
its a honda clone and isnt an exact clone, meaning that not all honda parts will fit, i have a 196cc clone, 208cc and 212cc clones only have some interchanable parts, and companys produce them like this so you have to buy their parts which cost signiffacantly more than 196cc cloneparts. being its also an epa regulated machine and the carb probably isnt the best quality to begin with, so it may surge when cold and is prone to glogging because it is jetted so lean, meaning that dirt particles can get easily trapped in the jets. since it is an mtd machine, the metal will be almost paper thin so try to keep it rust free and avoid hitting objects like rocks because the housing on these mtd machines, especially the newer mtds ere extremely easy to bend, and if you put your fut on the top of the auger housing, you can feel how cheap the sheet metal is, it will flex a lot. i personally would sell it on craigslist 350 firm in early december, and buy a 24 inch ariens or maybe an older toro. mtds used to be ok, but over the years they have gotton worse and worse and ever since the clones came out and appeared on almost all their products, i steer people away from them.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2014, 09:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 267
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 903
Troy Bilt made... Made good tillers. The quality stopped there. Troy Bilt was bought out by MTD and NOW, in MY very humble opinion they pretty much produce throw away equipment. Any and all are free to disagree. I had an old MTD blower back in the day and it was a pretty dogone good machine. No bells or whistles. Just a blower. I wouldn't buy one now though. You asked.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #5 of 11 Old 08-28-2014, 11:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
A few weeks ago I picked up a 2410 that my friend was selling for $300. My dad was looking for a larger snow blower after last winter's frozen ****. This 2410 was only used once or twice for a couple of hours. The oil looks brand new. The only issue is that one of the tires kept going flat, so I bought two inner-tubes to stuff inside of the tires.

Absolutely no wear or rust on it. I see that these normally sell for $599.99, but my friend said he paid $499.99 on sale or something like that, at a local farm store in Michigan. The tires still have the little nubs sticking out of the tread blocks.

Oh, and the chute unclogging stick is missing!
post #6 of 11 Old 08-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine B. View Post
A few weeks ago I picked up a 2410 that my friend was selling for $300. My dad was looking for a larger snow blower after last winter's frozen ****. This 2410 was only used once or twice for a couple of hours. The oil looks brand new. The only issue is that one of the tires kept going flat, so I bought two inner-tubes to stuff inside of the tires.

Absolutely no wear or rust on it. I see that these normally sell for $599.99, but my friend said he paid $499.99 on sale or something like that, at a local farm store in Michigan. The tires still have the little nubs sticking out of the tread blocks.

Oh, and the chute unclogging stick is missing!
Welcome to the forum, Blain.

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
post #7 of 11 Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks. I was really surprised how easily it started, considering it was sitting in an outdoor shed for a long while with "old" fuel in it.

Sometime, I need to find myself a larger unit, although I'm less than half my father's age.....I guess I can handle it.

We both have Toro single stage blowers as well, but last winter with the every-other-week massive snowstorms, it was a PITA every time.

PS - Who manufacturers the motor on the 2410?

Last edited by Blaine B.; 08-29-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I upgraded the skids on my Father's 2410 as swell.

Don't forget to put a bolt in the rear hole that accommodated the shorter Troy Bilt skids. That hole also supports the scraper bar.

It's nice that Troy Bilt already had the square holes stamped out for skids with the larger 3" bolt spacing.

I also like the fact that these are further out forward in front of the auger housing. They will now take the beating before the housing does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-28 15.46.54.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	20849  
post #9 of 11 Old 09-28-2014, 10:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
They are pretty simply engineered machines, that are slightly under constructed. There isn't a perfect machine, otherwise most folks here would have it.

The real question that I would have, is that machine durable enough for Fairbanks, AK? My Yamaha Ricky originally came from Fairbanks, thanks to the USAF and a change of station. I am surprised that more folks from that area don't frequent here, and could provide some genuine feedback for the region. We have plenty of folks from Canada, but amazingly, I can not think of anyone from Alaska.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-29-2014, 06:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I have a good friend in Tok, Ak and he uses an MTD 26" blower. Three years and no troubles. He's pretty good at maintaining his equipment. He just asked me how much to ship my Deere 1034 up there. I don't believe he was serious though. We were gonna ship him a Troy Bilt Horse tiller up there and shipping was in the $1300 range.

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page