Common problems with the Chinese engines. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-16-2014, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 2
Common problems with the Chinese engines.

Ok, I know you guys are sick of me asking all of these questions, but everything about my 2410 is new to me (Two-stage, Troy-Bilt, Chinese engine).

So far, according to Youtube videos and internet forums: bad/old gas= problems.

Someone told me that the Chinese engines are ultra-sensitive to gasoline quality. The instruction manual says not to run with gas older than 30 days old. Today I put Sta-bil and fresh gas in the gas can. I know this will avoid several problems associated with the Chinese engine's intolerance to old gas.

What other problems should I look for and how to prevent...with the except of maintenance?

Kind of bummed because Tecumseh and Briggs engine will run regardless of fuel or oil quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
"Kind of bummed because Tecumseh and Briggs engine will run regardless of fuel or oil quality."

that is not true for newer briggs, they will display the same symptoms as the clones(surging, hard starting, start and die,not starting at all) because all modern engines are jetted lean
post #3 of 18 Old 11-16-2014, 11:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruggy View Post
Ok, I know you guys are sick of me asking all of these questions, but everything about my 2410 is new to me (Two-stage, Troy-Bilt, Chinese engine).

So far, according to Youtube videos and internet forums: bad/old gas= problems.

Someone told me that the Chinese engines are ultra-sensitive to gasoline quality. The instruction manual says not to run with gas older than 30 days old. Today I put Sta-bil and fresh gas in the gas can. I know this will avoid several problems associated with the Chinese engine's intolerance to old gas.

What other problems should I look for and how to prevent...with the except of maintenance?

Kind of bummed because Tecumseh and Briggs engine will run regardless of fuel or oil quality.
I own 3 HF Predator engines and I never have never had any problems with fuel issues. I use non oxygenated gasoline for small engines. You can use either Stabil or Sea Foam to stabilize the gasoline.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-16-2014, 11:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I use cheap 87 octane and sometimes have it for over a year and it works fine for me. No stabilizers added either.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-17-2014, 12:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
all modern engines are jetted lean
Stupid question: Can that lean condition be fixed? Is there an adjustment?

thanks
post #6 of 18 Old 11-17-2014, 12:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Stupid question: Can that lean condition be fixed? Is there an adjustment?

thanks
You can open the stock jets with torch tip files or micro drill bits (by hand). Gustoguy uses floss and some polishing compound. You can buy different size jets as well.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-17-2014, 01:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 7
Buy ethanol free premium if it's available where you live, it's $3.59/a gallon 2 blocks from my house right now. If not available you can go the stabil route, I've always put 2oz of marvel mystery oil in my 5 gal gas can before I fill her up and have never had a small engine carb issue....it's a good clearer and adds some top cylinder lube....

2014 Honda 928WAS

Erie, PA
-Avg yearly snowfall 100.8" (256cm)
-2013-14 Snowiest major city in the USA with 138.4" (351.5cm)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes LET-UT liked this post
post #8 of 18 Old 11-17-2014, 01:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 7
All modern engines are now being jetted lean. Federal requirements. Worst are the CARB states. (California, forget who the other four are). Carburetors in those states have really small orifices.
Ethanol gas is a reality everywhere. If you can buy gas without it where you live, do so. If not (not sold anywhere near me that I know of) you must use a conditioner such as StaBil Marine, StaBil Ethanol, or SeaFoam. You don't need much and it will protect your investment. The alcohol starts to separate form the gas in as little as thirty days. Then it will draw water to to itself (makes a gum) and if the alcohol content accumulates too much, can cause the engine to run so hot it can actually melt a piston or burn the valves (see this on weed trimmers).
BTW, I don't think it has anything to do with being built in China. Most are build by one or two huge manufacturers, and they build for companies all over the world. Just built to US specs is all. All current engines must meet US air standards. Global warming and all that. (Not looking for a war on this, just my opinion).

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
post #9 of 18 Old 11-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
"If not (not sold anywhere near me that I know of) you must use a conditioner such as StaBil Marine, StaBil Ethanol, or SeaFoam."

you dont have to use stabilizers if you follow some basic rules, dont buy more gas than you can use in under 30 days(1 gallon is plenty for most people), dont let gasoline sit in power equipment that is going to be unused for 30 days or more, install a fuel shutoff and burn off the gas from the carb after each use, and buy the cheaper 87 octane gas because it will be fresher, most people will not pay the extra money for premium, so it will sit at the station longer and not be as fresh. i never use stabilizer and have no problems
post #10 of 18 Old 11-17-2014, 08:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 44
Quote:
Someone told me that the Chinese engines are ultra-sensitive to gasoline quality.
They're not, they're very similar to a Honda for the most part.

Quote:
No, they wont. I never saw anything as picky about gas as a Tecumseh.

That said, ethanol can be a big problem in any small engine, avoid it if you can. Where I am premium gas doesn't have ethanol so I buy premium. Also, remember if you're in a similar situation that whatever the last person pumped is still in the hose, so your first gallon is whatever the last guy selected, ideally pump that that first bit into your car before filling the jerry can. If you have to buy ethanol dump some stabilizer in it when the gas is fresh. Remember, stabilizer wont fix gas that's already gone bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page