post #1 of 6 Old 11-29-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Reliabilit of the 3090XP

Hi all,

New to the forum and looking at replacing my 18 year old Murray 8/27 blower. Looking at the Storm 3090XP like in the link below:
http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/tr...-snow-thrower#

Can anyone who has owned one (or still does) offer any input as to the reliability? User ratings on Troy-Bilt and Lowes sites, etc. can be misleading.
Also, is this a chinese-built model?

Thanks in advance,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-29-2014, 08:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1184
I am not knocking your idea on those. but have you considered a TORO, HONDA or ARIENS instead. ALOHA to the forms..: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 11-29-2014, 08:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Hey Jim, Welcome to the forum. Lots o good information here.

Being you are upgrading from a 18 year old Murry, anything you get new will be a huge improvement.

Depending on what you have for snow removal needs, and where you are located at, there could be a better choice. Also depending on your funding situation, unless you need the big box store financing, I would avoid a snow blower from them. Lack of service after the sale will be a HUGE issue. If you have followed this forum, you will see proof of that.

As Powershift indicated, there are better machines out there for about the same cost from a dealer that have proven history, with the service behind them in the event you need it.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #4 of 6 Old 11-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 517
Thanks (Received): 685
Likes (Given): 3898
Likes (Received): 1495
Garage
I have a smaller one and it works fine. I got it with a damaged friction disk and drive disc. The rubber came off the friction disc and they kept using it and destroyed the driving disc.
I replaced those items and found the drive axle bushings worn out so I replaced those too. It does surge a little even though I've cleaned the carb but I have almost 100yards of gravel driveway and it's always started and it does a good job of throwing snow. I added a light and hand warmers. For what you pay they aren't bad but there are better choices out there like Powershift mentioned. It's just a matter of how much you can or want to spend.
With a lighter duty machine like your Murray or the Troy you are considering, maintenance is critical to get a good life out of it.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 12-01-2014 at 11:35 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks guys, I dont mind getting from the big box as I can do any service myself but we do have a few dealers in the area (Northeast Massachusetts). They mostly sell Honda, Ariens, Simplicity or Snapper.
The money is about what I can spend and is about $400 less than what those dealers are selling at. I dont want to get less than what I have (8HP 27-inch). The Murray has been great but starting to show signs of its almost 20 years, plus I'm tired of the high handle height and leaning over to adjust the chute angle.
This is used for a 100-foot up-hill driveway with a 4-car parking area at the bottom.
-John
post #6 of 6 Old 11-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 517
Thanks (Received): 685
Likes (Given): 3898
Likes (Received): 1495
Garage
I think you'll be happy with it. Just keep it clean and dry in the off season and lube the moving parts once in a while.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page