LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-21-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 2
Troy-Bilt 2410: no complaints anymore.

If you guys have been reading my earlier posts, I have been complaining and dissatisfied about my Troy-Bil 2410. I've already used it several snow storms and I now love it.

I have a wide driveway and the snow cannot reach the other side of the grass area; now I clean the middle of the driveway then start. This way, the snow doesn't pile up in the middle and make the snowblower work harder. I've used it about 20 times and it never clogged the chute.

One of my biggest problems was speed. I was going too fast and made the auger clean inefficiently and the engine working too hard.

I'm not scared anymore about ice. The auger effectively eats the ice up. Cleaning the mess the snowplow truck make at the end of the driveway is a breeze now. No back-breaking work anymore with a steel shovel to clean the hard-packed snow and ice.

I complained about the "Chinese" engine. I like the engine. It is smooth, starts in one pull and sips fuel compared to my lawnmower.

I guess my only complaints are tires and squeaky auger. The tires are small and the it squeaks when you initially activate the auger.

Anyway, this machine is a great value!!!

Troy-Bilt 2410 with weak Chinese-made 179cc engine. Currently high on Sta-Bil. I couldn't afford an Ariens.

Last edited by Fruggy; 02-21-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-21-2015, 05:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1633
Likes (Received): 571
it takes a little time to know your machine and how to make it work in a way which is best for you

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Fruggy liked this post
post #3 of 11 Old 02-21-2015, 05:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
Fruggy

I have a 2008 TB storm 2410 and have never looked back on the purchase. I have done a 212cc Predator engine repower to it. Works better now with the extra power. I used it last week on 3" of powdery snow and it saved me some shovel time.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-21-2015, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
I will sometimes bash mine too as it's not built as strong as some of my other blowers but it got me through two pretty nasty Wisconsin winters and I have a long gravel driveway.

That squeak when you engage the auger is more likely the belt and may or may not go away if you adjust tension on it.

Nice thing about the stock engine was on mine I found out I had power for a headlight and hand warmers.
I've added the headlight and some drift breakers. Best thing was the Ariens skids. The stock ones are single sided and skimpy. The Ariens were much thicker and help keep mine from digging into the gravel. They are nicer skids out there but I needed them right then and a quick trip to HomeDepot solved my problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00318.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	568.4 KB
ID:	43226   Click image for larger version

Name:	111213 Troybilt Storm2410 Skid upgrade.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	43234  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Fruggy, AKJuliens liked this post
post #5 of 11 Old 02-21-2015, 06:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Glad you're finding an appreciation for your machine!!

I occasionally help out my neighbor with his 2004 troy bilt (hmsk80 with the red darth vadar shroud). I gotta say, it might not feel as stout as an old-school toro, it can definitely hang! Very maneuverable as well.

Have you looked into installing an impeller kit? The impeller/housing gap was huge on his...until he modded-up

Last edited by classiccat; 02-21-2015 at 06:21 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-21-2015, 06:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Kiss4aFrog

Nice replacement. I'd get the Ariens set. But I just got the Armor Skids for the Storm 2410 this fall. Will be a while before they get replaced.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-22-2015, 12:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Bought my Storm 2410 in October, $450 new before taxes, and have used it 4 times so far. No really deep snow but heavy wet snow mostly. It runs good but mine desperately needs the impeller kit. There is a 1/2" space and I need to throw everything over a 3-4' high tie wall first before it gets to the lawn. On one side I don't have much lawn so I have to make high snow piles. It's a bit underpowered but hopefully the impeller kit will make up for that. It's not built like a tank but I have a confined hilly gravel drive way to work in so the lighter construction works in my favor I added tire chains and the Armor Skids, they helped a lot. If CARED for it should last a while.

Whimsey
post #8 of 11 Old 02-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
Mine had a big impeller gap too. I think that's common on them and the impeller kit is a big improvement.
Like you say about lighter construction it's something you really need to maintain to have it reliable. I try to get a couple drops of oil on everything that moves a couple times during the season. Trying to make the bushings last.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-23-2015, 03:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
I will sometimes bash mine too as it's not built as strong as some of my other blowers but it got me through two pretty nasty Wisconsin winters and I have a long gravel driveway.

That squeak when you engage the auger is more likely the belt and may or may not go away if you adjust tension on it.

Nice thing about the stock engine was on mine I found out I had power for a headlight and hand warmers.
I've added the headlight and some drift breakers. Best thing was the Ariens skids. The stock ones are single sided and skimpy. The Ariens were much thicker and help keep mine from digging into the gravel. They are nicer skids out there but I needed them right then and a quick trip to HomeDepot solved my problem.
For future reference when you need to replace those skid shoes again, Troy Bilt also makes a premium skid shoe that comes on the higher end models. I think black goes with red better than orange does

My 2890 also has a lever with an option for transport mode, gravel, normal or packed ice. I haven't experimented with them yet, but I hadn't seen this feature before on anything cheaper than a $2500 Honda. Hoping we get 1 more big storm this year so I can play around with them! So far my only complaint about my new Troy Bilt is the maneuverability of the track system, but hopefully it gets easier once I get used to the controls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skid shoes.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	43882  

Last edited by Twixboy; 02-23-2015 at 03:13 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-11-2015, 01:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post

Hello Kiss4aFrog.....

I have been reading your posts for the last hour or so. This forum is great! About you adding lights and hand warmers to your 2410, How did that all work out? I just picked up a almost brand new 2410 for $250! I thought it was a typo on the Craigslist ad but it wasn't. I totally scored! I want to add a couple of LED lights, hand warmers, (if I have a stator) and this improved impeller kit? Where may I find one of these? Thank you in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page