What's your opinion on Troy-Bilt tracked 2890 ?? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-27-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 9
What's your opinion on Troy-Bilt tracked 2890 ??

Can anyone give me their honest evaluation of the Troy Bilt 2890 tracked SB. I found some reviews that were rather unkind to the TB machines in general because they are "simply rebranded MTD junk" I am considering the 2890 because, while the Honda and Ariens machines get great reviews, they are 2x and nearly 3x the price. (and yes I understand the argument of get what you pay for comments) Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
For the money it's a good homeowner unit. They are built to get the job done and nothing more. It's something that you want to keep up with maintenance on as it's not as forgiving as some others that were overbuilt.
Keep it as dry as possible when not using it, up off the salt from the car's melting road slush if stored in the garage, lube it often and inspect moving parts for wear BEFORE they cause you a problem instead of after.
If you do that you should be good for many years.

I have an abused Troy 2410 that I was given broken that I fixed and it's been getting the job done quite well on an almost 400' gravel driveway since my rider died two years ago.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 08-27-2015 at 06:50 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-27-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 9
Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I believe you identified the key element as "maintenance". I suggest that many of the problems I read about on these posts may be the result of casual care. I will keep it on my "short" list.
post #4 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 12:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
Albeit, I appreciate anyone being budget conscious, I would personally get behind any unit before I buy it. I know that the Honda, and Ariens are priced above the Troybilts, but there is a reason. And considering that we are well beyond the snow season, you have the opportunity to shop. And I recommend doing so.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #5 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 07:16 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i dont like them, i think that they are poorly built machines and are only built to get the hob done and nothing more. after about 10 years even well maintained ones start rusting away. There is a **** good reason why the the only mtd product you will find in my garage is an old mtd push blower, and even that kind of suck, has a 6 piece stamped steel inpeller which makes it weak compared to something like my 30 something year old giant vac 5hp model which has a cast iron fan
post #6 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 07:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 267
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 903
I've said it before. Troy Bilt made excellent rototillers, some of the very best ever. Everything else is highly suspect. You asked and this is my opinion only. Personally I wouldn't own one. I'd be much better off buying a decent used Toro or Ariens.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, 43128, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #7 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 08:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 307
Likes (Received): 156
I would look at the Ariens Deluxe 28. You could add tire chains and handwarmers and still not be at the Troy-Bilt price. Better yet look at the Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024

Last edited by Zavie; 08-28-2015 at 08:07 AM.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
I'd have to say I'd rather have an older used better built machine but I go through them, rebuild them, paint them and maintain them. There are folks who don't want to get their hands dirty rebuilding something, don't have the time, don't have the tools or just like the warranty. As an auto mechanic it was nice having a new car and not having to work on it. Anything other than a simple problem and the car went in.

The Troy still starts easily, blows snow like crazy and once I replaced all the broken and worn out stuff hasn't give me one problem.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #9 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 09:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
I also believe it's all about care and maintenance. I have a 1999 MTD Yard Machines that I had to repower because the original Tec threw a rod, the rest of the machine is in great shape and I expect to get another 10+ years from it. It is certainly not built like my 1968 Ariens but nothing is anymore. I think you'll do just fine with the Troybilt as long as you're the type of guy that takes care of your equipment.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 10:10 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Never owned one, but have worked on and ran a couple neighbors and friends TB, one of which was an actual tracked model. The metal is thin all over and they are light weight, tend to ride up. They wobble when put into heavy snow. The impeller/auger assembly when removed can be picked up from ground to bench with one hand. The separate little augers are thin and deform easily within 2 years use. They use plastic bushings on some. They use a Powermore engine that is extremely lean from the factory and gets worse after first couple tanks of fuel. Getting to anything on the engine involves removing cosmetic plastic shrouding and several hard to get to screws/bolts. The chute elevation control freezes and sticks at the chute and can pop out of the plastic holes it's mounted to. That said, they do work when you either open the jet on the carb or run with some choke. My concern would be at it's price point you can get a new Ariens or Toro , dealer network for each, and heavier gauge metal. Around here, there's no resale value on TB's. IMO it's like buying a 4 cylinder Mustang and putting the GT/Shelby graphics and wheels on it. You can get a new Toro 724 for nearly half the price of the TB. If I was going to spend that much on a blower I'd be buying a used Honda or saving a few hundred on a new Ariens Deluxe.
Likes 43128 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page