new storm 3090xp gas leaks when primed day one - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Unhappy new storm 3090xp gas leaks when primed day one

nov. 20, 2011
picked up new special order troy-bilt 3090xp from lowes, after assembly i read the manual before adding gas.
pressed the primer bulb twice and noticed gas leaking on the left hand tire, underneath the carb.
waited a few minutes, set the choke and used the pull start, the motor fired up after one pull.
monitored the tire for any gas spillage while running for about 10 minutes.
shut down for about 30 minutes, pressed the primer bulb once and noticed more gas spillage on the tire.
observation, the carb was pointing up hill so i do not think the gas was leaking out the carb venturi opening, where the air flows into the cylinder.
removed a piece of metal between the carb and the overhead valve cover to get a better view of the carb. 3-screws.
noticed that the gas leak was above the bowl on the bottom of the carb, could not locate the source of the leak due to limited access.
question- any thoughts on what could be causing the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-21-2011, 01:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Carb

Welcome to the forum.

In the case of older Tecumseh carbs, I'd look at the seal between the carb and the bowl

Being it's a new snowblower and I don't know what yours has for a carburetor, I'd first make a call to Lowes and find out what they'll do about your issue. I would expect they would take care of it.

Good luck

Last edited by HCBPH; 11-21-2011 at 02:23 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-21-2011, 01:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Honda's don't have primers. Not sure how the primer on the new clone engines is set up. I know older Tecumseh's could drip if overprimed, but you said yours was tipped far enough that you didn't think that was the issue. If it only leaks when primed it probably isn't anything major. If it leaks just sitting there then you have a problem.
post #4 of 15 Old 11-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
I recently put a service carb on an older tecumseh 10 hp. Anytime I primed it, it would leak.

If you look inside the mouth of the carb and press the primer you will see the gas squirt in. On mine it came from a small brass nozzle sticking into the carb.

No matter where I set all of the adjustments on the carb it would still leak.

My solution was easy. It started fine without the prime so i just dont use it.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-22-2011, 09:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Priming

Quote:
Originally Posted by td5771 View Post
I recently put a service carb on an older tecumseh 10 hp. Anytime I primed it, it would leak.

If you look inside the mouth of the carb and press the primer you will see the gas squirt in. On mine it came from a small brass nozzle sticking into the carb.

No matter where I set all of the adjustments on the carb it would still leak.

My solution was easy. It started fine without the prime so i just dont use it.
The primer is supposed to spray some atomized gas in the carb to help start if needed. If it's putting in so much gas it's running out the end of the carb about the only things I can think of is you have a very efficient primer bulb, priming it too many times, or it's putting it into the carb as a stream of gas rather than as a spray. The one in the photo is a 7 HP but I also have a 10 HP, the only bigger engined snowblower I used last winter was the 7 hp but priming helped start it when it was dead cold. Most times it only took 1 push of the primer bulb plus a little choke and even then, at times I don't push the primer bulb all the way down and they (4,5, & 7 HP I used last winter) had started just fine. Be interesting to see how the 10 works this year (first winter I've owned it), this is one of my 2 keepers and should be comparable to yours.
If you don't need to prime it to start, I wouldn't prime it either. You might want to see how the gas is entering the carb when you prime it, is it a spray or a stream? Just a thought.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-22-2011, 05:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwireman View Post
pressed the primer bulb once and noticed more gas spillage on the tire.
the gas leak was above the bowl on the bottom of the carb, could not locate the source of the leak due to limited access.
question- any thoughts on what could be causing the problem.
Primers are usually pretty simple systems. Hose from gas tank to bulb…hose from bulb to carb. If yours is leaking on the out side of the carb I would suspect either the fitting in the carb is loose or the hose is loose on the fitting or even not hooked up at all. If it is as hard to get to as you say perhaps someone failed to hook up the hose at the factory.

My 13 HP Tecumseh primer will leak a few drops from the carb if I push it to much. Being that yours leaks on the first push and runs onto the tire I would suspect it aint hooked up to the carb at all.

Last edited by abumpa; 11-22-2011 at 05:23 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by abumpa View Post
Primers are usually pretty simple systems. Hose from gas tank to bulb…hose from bulb to carb.
I've not seen one with 2 hoses off the primer. If you have it apart some time, I for one would like to see what that looks like. All the Tecumseh's I've worked on (4 HP through 10 HP) the primer is just a bulb with a hose to a nipple on the carb. In essence it just presurizes the carburetor bowl so gas is forced up a channel and out through a couple of small holes in the side of the carburetor throat. Then again, all mine have the older float style carburetor, so if your isn't then maybe that's why.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-23-2011, 12:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
mine are the same, one hose. some smaller chainsaws and such i have are 2 hoses and are essentially a pump. they take the gas out of the tank and push into the carb. they use a check valve system. the tecs i have pump air into the bowl like hcbph said.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
You guys caught me and you are correct. I was thinking about an old leaf blower I just worked on where the primer in actually part of the fuel delivery system. Sorry for the bad info…
post #10 of 15 Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by abumpa View Post
You guys caught me and you are correct. I was thinking about an old leaf blower I just worked on where the primer in actually part of the fuel delivery system. Sorry for the bad info…
No problem. Just thought something else had come out I'd never seen. I hate giving bad info so I was curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page