First start of the year; engine rpm fluctuating - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-16-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 2
First start of the year; engine rpm fluctuating

I've always used Sta-bil mixed with gasoline since I bought it new last year. I poured in fresh gas/sta-bil mix into the near empty tank and I started it and let it warm up.

I don't know the terminology but the engine's RPM was fluctuating every 5 seconds. Spark plugs were clean as a whistle. It did start easy on one pull (thank you sta-bil).

Many Troy-Bilt owners complain that it wont' start at all after a year. I wonder if this is another problem with the engine??

I'm guessing after more use of the engine, the sta-bil will clean the engine's fuel system and it will go back to normal...

Troy-Bilt 2410 with weak Chinese-made 179cc engine. Currently high on Sta-Bil. I couldn't afford an Ariens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-16-2015, 07:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
[QUOTE=Fruggy;802857]I've always used Sta-bil mixed with gasoline since I bought it new last year. I poured in fresh gas/sta-bil mix into the near empty tank and I started it and let it warm up. QUOTE]

Was the near empty tank a left over from last season? If yes then I would let it run for 30 minutes so the old gas gets through for the new gas.
Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-16-2015, 07:30 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 586
Garage
sounds like a corn juice issue to me, run it, it "should" fix itself jmo

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 18 Old 12-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3832
Likes (Received): 1473
Garage
I have a Troy that was passed down to me and from day one (used) it's surged. I cleaned the carb and lightly drilled out the main jet and two years later it still surges.
If I get an ultrasonic cleaner this spring the Troy's carb is going to be job one !!
The issue isn't that it's a Chinese engine it's that the engine and carburetor are engineered to pass strict emissions regulations.

Sta-bil will do noting to help it's running condition. It's not a cleaner, just a fuel stabilizer. You need a fuel system cleaner for that. You can try Seafoam but I prefer a dedicated fuel system cleaner like "Lucas" or "Chevron with techron". I've used Lucas for decades on old stuff with 200K plus miles and it works.
Seafoam can be used in the fuel or the oil and because it can do a number of things I just feel it doesn't do any of them as exceptionally well as something formulated to do one.

I try to add sta-bil (Measured) to every 5 gal can I get for the lawn and garden stuff and I'll toss in Lucas (measured) fairly often.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 12-16-2015 at 09:23 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-16-2015, 10:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruggy View Post
I've always used Sta-bil mixed with gasoline since I bought it new last year. I poured in fresh gas/sta-bil mix into the near empty tank and I started it and let it warm up.

I don't know the terminology but the engine's RPM was fluctuating every 5 seconds. Spark plugs were clean as a whistle. It did start easy on one pull (thank you sta-bil).

Many Troy-Bilt owners complain that it wont' start at all after a year. I wonder if this is another problem with the engine??

I'm guessing after more use of the engine, the sta-bil will clean the engine's fuel system and it will go back to normal...
Is the fluctuation at idle, or at full throttle? Did you run the carb dry when you put it away in spring, or was there still gas in there. Does it run better with a bit of choke on?

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #6 of 18 Old 12-16-2015, 11:54 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i just had a craftsman with a powermore 179cc in for repair, i just drained the gas out shot some brake cleaner down the cylinder. she surged for about 5 minutes then cleared up
post #7 of 18 Old 12-13-2016, 07:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Brake cleaner in the cylinder? I think washing the protective film of oil off the rings and cylinder wall would be of no benefit whatsoever. Surging is a carburetor problem and is pretty easily remedied.

"WINTER IS COMING"
post #8 of 18 Old 12-13-2016, 07:50 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
nah it doesnt hurt it its basically the same as starting fluid. i remember working on it and i kept it overnight to make sure it would restart easily, fired up on the first pull the next morning, the carburetor ended up cleaning itself out, but sometimes he only way to completely get rid of surging is to buy a new carburetor, unfortunately a lot of carburetors have extremely tiny, impossible to get to passages and the only way to fix them is to replace them. the brake cleaner is just a bit of a jump start but this engine didnt want to go with 50:1 2 stroke oil as it wasnt potent enough so i had to use the brake cleaner. it will not hurt the engine
post #9 of 18 Old 12-13-2016, 07:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 26
Garage
I'm a firm believer in Seafoam. One thing is it's ability to remove carbon.
Great fuel system cleaner IMO also.
I also use it as a fuel stabilizer. Can't beat the price compared to other products.

Quite a few times at the boat dock in the spring I have saved a fishing trip with a can of Seafoam. Last time old 2 cycle pre mix outboard would only idle, left with fuel in it over the winter and no stabilizer. Drove 3 hours to lake. Sold the can of Seafoam I always have in my truck during fishing season. 15 minutes later that old boat and motor went off at full throttle. 3/4 of a can of Seafoam into a 6 gallon out board tank.

Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.

Last edited by mrfixit; 12-13-2016 at 07:56 AM.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-12-2017, 08:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Hi, sorry to raise this old thread, but I have a late 90's TroyBilt 42012 with a Tecumseh 10HP snow king engine. I acquired it used about 8 years ago, stripped it down and rebuilt it and to be thruthful, done nothing else but a few oil changes since. Its always surged, but this year its really bad on idle - terrible. I live in CT and we just got 18" since Wed, and whenever the blower hits a load the surge disappears and the engine kicks in really strong.

I tried a bottle of "Start Your Engines! 4-oz Fuel Additive" from Lowes after the storm last week, and when I tried to clean up todays drop it hasn't worked.

Is it obviously the carb?? Any advice on what areas I should focus on with my first ever carb clean?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page