LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 7
YS1028J...Blown Away !!!

Just picked up the new Yamaha YS1028J and I am blown away with this machine! Former Machines I've owned are a hand me down Mastercraft ( MTD ) 10hp33" ( Gave it away ). Ariens 8hp24" ( sold ), Simplicity 1428 ( Gave it to brother ). Currently have a 9 yr old Ariens 926 wheel, as well a 30 yr old Yamaha YS624T!!!( works like a dream still ) , and my brand new Yamaha YS1028J. The Ariens 926 is half owned by my father-in-law who lives next door. We both have huge driveways, double paved 170' and 120' as well as a couple decks to do and the 150' path from my house to ( inlaws ). I bought the old 624 2 yrs ago as we were sharing one machine ( Ariens 926 ) and I wanted the ability to climb the stairs to the decks. Both machines are great performers. The track machine is much easier on the body due to not having to push, pull, lift etc on the Ariens wheeled machine to keep her going through certain conditions of snow. I just broke a drive cable on the old 624 and went to my local dealer to order a new one when I spotted the new Yamaha line-up ( 1332, 1028, and 624 ). I could not stop sizing the new machines up and drooled over the hydro tranny, electric chute and hydraulic assist auger height control. I was wrestling with the 624 or 1028, but seeing as how I have a 624 and have large areas to do I ended up pulling the trigger on the new 1028. At first I was concerned by the weight of the machine, but I seen vids of 100lb Japanese women using them so I figured I could too. Lol.
The next day, we had the worst snow storm of the year and I could not wait to give the new girl a whirl. I was simply blown away at the unstoppable tank like abilities and the throwing distance. I have never used or seen a snowblower throw snow as far nor as high as this machine does. That includes both my Ariens 926 and Yami 624 both equipped with impeller kits. That also includes my neighbours Honda 928 and Honda 1132. This machine opened up whole new throwing areas in my yard and it's crazy how high the stream will loft. I climbed 8 stairs to do the deck without issue. I also went out tonight and decided to get rid of the end of driveway pile that was several feet deep and had been frozen and thawed several times. The pile contained heavy wet , slushy snow as well as a 4 inch layer of ice about a foot above the dround layer of ice. The new 1028 ate right through it and asked for seconds! It was effortless on my part as I just walked behind and let her do the work. No body input with pushing, leaning into, pulling , lifting etc...the machine done it all with one hand operation while throwing it right across the road. As my title states...I was blown away! The engine is SO quiet, smooth and powerful. The machine is built and feels like a tank and will chew through anything. My old Yami 624 punches WAY above her weight class and performs like a much more powerful machine. This 1028 is no exception and should not be expected to perform like other 10hp 28" machines. In fact this machine will throw a greater distance than Honda 928, is more powerful, moves more tons per hour and more robust with it's extra 110lbs. In fact the Yami has the same throwing distance as Honda's honking 1332 @ 56ft , does move less tons per hour however, but again is more robust with it's 100lb weight difference. It's also a lot quieter. Don't get me wrong, I love the Honda's and they are awesome machines with their own advantages. I'd be happy to own one...just not as happy as I am now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 11:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 21
Sounds like quite an impressive machine you have there.

~Ray~
~1975 Canadiana 1026 Heavy Duty w/light & limited slip differential (& custom exhaust (need to fabricate manifold), customized impeller housing, removable chute in about 5 sec) (currently out of service)

~ Craftsman 8/25 Trac-Drive C950-52671 (mid 80's ???) (current user) (replaced blown engine with original, now in service again)

~ Craftsman 12/32 OHV 71-52112-1 (now in service)

~Noma GP 1028EL (repaired and serviced for daughter to use)
post #3 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes , as impressive as the Ariens and Old 624 are... the new machine is a whole new level of snowblowing. Very happy. Here are a couple pics of my snow eating monsters. The Old Yami is going uphill in my driveway with a frozen drive cable...I just let her go up by herself and took a couple pics.
post #4 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #5 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #6 of 25 Old 02-20-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
post #7 of 25 Old 02-20-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes NorthernBoy liked this post
post #8 of 25 Old 02-20-2017, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
post #9 of 25 Old 02-20-2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm not sure if I may sell the old girl...something about a hot 30 yr old. She still looks pretty and I put a nice Led light on her. She may not get much use now though with the new one.
post #10 of 25 Old 02-20-2017, 11:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 19
Very nice YamaNewf! Congrats on the new machine, I'd love to own one. I was into Atlantic Rec looking at the lineup a few times, the 1332 is definitely a beast among beasts. You definitely purchased it at the right time with all the recent snow. Personally, I wish they'd bring back an 8HP model, something like a YT826 would be perfect.

Hard pack is the only area where my YS624 struggles, as the augers are not heavily serrated and they're wore down a fair bit, much like yours, though I plan to upgrade that in the future. Even so I doubt it would chew through conditions like you describe. I keep the area of the road in front of my lawn cleared as well to prevent plow back and because I love using the machine so much but I do have to work it a bit to keep tracking straight or keep her from riding up.

I purchased my YS624 two years ago Nov past though it was no where near the shape of yours, I went through an extensive rebuild, changing all bearings and painting practically everything. It runs beautifully now!

Here's a shot of it with an Ariens 926LE I dragged home a few weeks ago:

After the second round of the storm with drift cutters installed:

I know you've grown attached to the 624 but if you're seriously considering selling it let me know as I'm currently looking for quality machine for a friend. We missed out on a fantastic deal on a Honda HS828 in central over the weekend. I would have purchased it myself if I didn't already have 2 machines.

BTW, did they give you a price on the drive cable or did you purchase one? I have a spare chute cable I picked up on eBay I'll need to install soon.

Cheers!

Greg

YAMAHA YS624 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks leonz thanked for this post
Likes leonz liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page