LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-13-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Summer Storage

Hey just wondering if you guys have any tips for summer storage of your snowblower? I am guessing a fuel stabilizer wouldn't be a bad idea. The dealership is telling me to out the battery on a trickle charger as well. Any suggestions if you don't own one of those puppies? Is it better to just disconnect it for the summer altogether? Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-13-2017, 02:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 404
Garage
I don't believe in trickle charging batteries for long term storage, it sulfates the plates. I believe in trickle charging batteries that are being used on a regular basis.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #3 of 7 Old 04-13-2017, 04:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 23
I'd just disconnect it in case there's some residue draw on it. Or you could start the machine up every 6-8 weeks. Won't discharge that fast outside because it's summer so no need to bring it inside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Toro CCR1000
2007 Cub Cadet 524SWE
post #4 of 7 Old 04-13-2017, 06:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 242
I don't have a battery on my blower but use a float charger that only charges if the voltage drops, Works great on the motorcycle.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-14-2017, 09:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayman0625 View Post
Hey just wondering if you guys have any tips for summer storage of your snowblower? I am guessing a fuel stabilizer wouldn't be a bad idea. The dealership is telling me to out the battery on a trickle charger as well. Any suggestions if you don't own one of those puppies? Is it better to just disconnect it for the summer altogether? Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated.
I would suggest draining the fuel from tank, tossing it in your car, then running the engine on whatever fuel is left in the carb until it stops from fuel starvation. Many owners manuals state that you should remove fuel for long term storage, mention the effects of gas with ethanol content, and some even exclude carburetors a fuel lines from warranty consideration due to the effects of ethanol

After it stops, and while it is still hot, change the oil, grease up anything that needs grease, such as the auger zerks, removing the shear bolts/pins and spinning the augers as you force in the grease to make sure it is distributed, then reinstalling the shear bolts. Oil anything that needs oiling, touch up the paint scratches,

Check the transmission area lube gears/chains if any, and check for possible replacement parts required such as rubber drive disks, belts etc that you can order up and install in fall, then put it to bed.

I toss an old bed sheet over my machine because it lives in a garage where quite a bit of sawdust gets produced. Sheet lets it breathe, but keeps the dust off sort of.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat, The_Geologist liked this post
post #6 of 7 Old 04-14-2017, 11:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 291
Skutflut hit on basically everything.

I will say that maintaining the battery on a trickle charger is the best course. Modern smart chargers, desulfate batteries automatically if nessesary, and will maintain a battery indefinitely.

Warm weather is much easier on batteries then cold. You'd probably be fine just leaving the battery since they don't discharge as fast in warm weather. Also there is no worry of a deeply discharged battery freezing and damaging a cell.

Trickle charger.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-31-2017, 07:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 9
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
Skutflut hit on basically everything.

I will say that maintaining the battery on a trickle charger is the best course. Modern smart chargers, desulfate batteries automatically if nessesary, and will maintain a battery indefinitely.

Warm weather is much easier on batteries then cold. You'd probably be fine just leaving the battery since they don't discharge as fast in warm weather. Also there is no worry of a deeply discharged battery freezing and damaging a cell.

Trickle charger.
I totally agree.... BUT make sure what you are using is a "maintainer" and not just a low voltage charger.... A Maintainer will shut off if the battery is up to full charge... a trickle charger will continue to charge the battery and will boil it dry if not watched closely.....

The Maintainer works for me on my motorcycle, ole lady's car over winter, and lawn tractor also.....

Done this for 20 yrs..... works well..!!

1987 Craftsman Mod.C950528108 10/28...Techumseh Engine....SOLD

2007 Honda HS1132...GX340 Honda (Neighbor's)

2018 YT624EJ Yamahoooo..!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page