post #1 of 20 Old 02-02-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Is YT624EJ a good choice?

Hi everyone,

I’m new on the forum and I need some advice...

I’m think about buying a new YT624EJ after 6 years with my Ariens Deluxe 28.

The Main reasons I want to change for a YT624 :

- kickup up effect of wheels
- Hydrolic assist auger tilt is much more easy on the shoulders than having to push down the handles on wheels models
- Hydrostatic transmission

However, concerns about YT624 :

- Will it throw as far as the Deluxe 28?
- 35 tons/hour...
- Made in China...
- No streering ... but i don’t even use the crappy one on my 2013 Ariens

Snow removal area:

-25’x30’ asphalt steep driveway

-50’x 20’ backyard (wood patio i access via metal ramps + grass)

- 2x 30’x 4’ sideways

- 30’ driftcut along the street

-Lots of 180 deg turns

Snowfall : moderate to heavy /10% wet snow......... I live in eastern Quebec so we have a lot of snow

Should i consider a YS1028J or is it too bulky (375lbs) and overkill for my needs?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited by Rick70; 02-03-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-02-2018, 10:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 374
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Make your own conclusions... on the YT624

We have a few forum members that own one and are very happy with them

Check this thread

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...aha-yt624.html
post #3 of 20 Old 02-02-2018, 10:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 374
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Though because of the amount of snow you get you may want to consider a YS1028J
post #4 of 20 Old 02-03-2018, 02:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 51
I've had a YT660 (metric version of the YT624) for about a month. Have run around 10 hours with it. Amazing machine, very pleased. I especially like the hydrostatic tranny. Being able to adjust on the go makes things stupidly easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick70 View Post
-Lots of 180 deg turns
On one section I need to clear, I have the same situation. To begin with I blew a border around it, and made my 180 turns on that. But then I worked out that it was not much slower to simply blow in a forwards direction, then reverse up and blow another line forwards, reverse up again, etc. This saved me having to move the exit shoot 180 left-right-left-right each time.

Turning with tracks is ok, not difficult, but I can imagine wheels would be easier. I plan all my routes to minimuse turns, even if that means that I travel over some areas twice. I find that just keeping moving makes the job quicker.

The machine feels well put together, robust and solid. Pricey yes, but every time I use it, I'm pleased I got this rather than the other option at the time (a wheeled friction wheel Ariens).
post #5 of 20 Old 02-03-2018, 05:03 AM
TJJ

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 8
I have a YT660EDJ, i.e. the Japanese build one (with made in China engine... )

Making 180 turns is easy now that ground has an ice layer, you soon learn the tecnique of doing it and it's then almost your second nature. Reverse speed is slow and so I usually much rather do 180 turns. But it wasn't easy at all to do 180s when there still was gravel or grass with only a light layer of snow.

Since the YS1028 also has solid axles, and with added weight it probably is much harder to turn on those conditions. YS1070T model has an electronic button for turning, but I'm not sure where that model is available. It's price over here is pretty high, 5990 euros, 1000 euros more than the basic YT1070 (YS1028J over there) model. You can also get a Honda 1332 with that 5990 sum...

Yamaha YT-660EDJ

Last edited by TJJ; 02-03-2018 at 05:05 AM.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-03-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJ View Post
I have a YT660EDJ, i.e. the Japanese build one (with made in China engine... )

Making 180 turns is easy now that ground has an ice layer, you soon learn the tecnique of doing it and it's then almost your second nature. Reverse speed is slow and so I usually much rather do 180 turns. But it wasn't easy at all to do 180s when there still was gravel or grass with only a light layer of snow.

Since the YS1028 also has solid axles, and with added weight it probably is much harder to turn on those conditions. YS1070T model has an electronic button for turning, but I'm not sure where that model is available. It's price over here is pretty high, 5990 euros, 1000 euros more than the basic YT1070 (YS1028J over there) model. You can also get a Honda 1332 with that 5990 sum...
Hi TJJ

Since Reverse speed seems way faster on Yt624 than on my Ariens, reverse/forward is a good tip to avoid 180 deg turns

Regarding steering, it’s only avalaible on Yt1332ED. Yamaha Canada only offer YT624EJ, YS1028J and Yt1332ED . I know that Hss724 has steering but paying +1000$ for a steering: no way!
post #7 of 20 Old 02-03-2018, 09:15 AM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 525
You can't go wrong with a YT624EJ, My driveway is 120 feet long, I do up and downs with 180 turns at each end no problem. Just keep moving and by the time you swung the machine around the chute has also swung around. I've had mine now for 4 problem free winters. Turn the key and blow snow!!!

We normally get a lot of snow here except for this winter where we seem to get an Alberta clipper followed by a warm noreaster with rain. Suppose to rain again tomorrow after this last 6'' storm. -19C this morning +2C tomorrow and +6C monday. Really screwed up weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coby7; 02-03-2018 at 09:24 AM.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-03-2018, 12:24 PM
TJJ

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick70 View Post
Since Reverse speed seems way faster on Yt624 than on my Ariens, reverse/forward is a good tip to avoid 180 deg turns
Yes, I also use reversing for short (5 meter) distances. And hydrostatic makes changing forward/reserve very smooth and fast and you soon also learn to make small direction adjustments while using that lever. YT624/YT660 is actually quite nimble machine once you get the hang of it.

Yamaha YT-660EDJ
post #9 of 20 Old 02-03-2018, 02:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 152
The small 624 being lighter in weight will take more time to clear heavy snows.

The 1028 is heavier and has more horse power with four more inches of cutting width with V belt drive.

Thinking five or 10 years down the road if you invest in a 1028 you will have more usable
horsepower and torque. The 1028 has an electric clutch for the cross auger and impeller drive and a V belt.

There is a fellow on you tube that lives in Newfoundland that has posted several videos of his 1028 working
in his deep snows and it has no problems working.

There is also a video on you tube of a fellow in Labrador? working on /killing his End of Driveway Monster with his 624
that was his Christmas present.

Using a larger tracked machine without steering brakes just takes practice and patience and with a little higher speed you can use the machines speed to make turns at a fast pace by pushing against the snow caster=right to go left/ left to go right
to turn one way or the other then slow back down to work. If you have a little patch of ice and good boots with strap on steel cleats or sorrels you can work pretty well

I have seen videos of a tall skinny 120 pound Japanese woman using their(japan version 1028 model) moving it around while clearing snow.

There is also a video on youtube of a gentleman using his 1332 in very deep snows.

You have to decide what your time is worth, how much time you want to spend clearing and how your going to feel about clearing deep heavy snow with a smaller machine 5 or 10 years from now.

The 3 horse+ reserve of power in a 1028 will only help you in the future.

I am not trying to spend your money, just thinking about how your going to feel about snow clearing down the road.

Last edited by leonz; 02-04-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: stuff/spelling and punctuation corrections
post #10 of 20 Old 02-03-2018, 03:23 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 525
That 1028 is going to be heavier in 10 years too...

''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in