YT660 - Engine oil bubbling out of filler neck - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 12-18-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 51
YT660 - Engine oil bubbling out of filler neck

I changed the engine oil towards the end of last season, topping it up to bring it level with the filler neck hole (as per instructions).

In early autumn I drove the machine outside and gave it a general lube, brush-up and treated a couple of rust patches. When I unscrewed the filler cap, I noticed some engine oil overflow out of the filler neck. I thought this must be because the oil had expanded a bit during the summer and didn't think much about it.

The machine wasn't used until today. It was around -5C (23F) in the store. The blower was parked on a level surface and I checked the oil level before start-up. Again oil glugged out of the filler hole.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-18-2018, 02:03 PM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 111
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 881
Likes (Received): 207
Garage
If she is "making oil" it has to be from fuel getting into the oil. Carb needle/seat issues if its an air cooled carbureted machine.

Wake me up when the snow's done...
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Lunta thanked for this post
post #3 of 32 Old 12-18-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Oh dear, that sounds serious.

The machine is <1 year old. Any pointers on how I can confirm that it's the carb/needle seating? And whether this is an "easy DIY fix" or whether it should go in for service?
post #4 of 32 Old 12-18-2018, 02:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I assume it still has warranty on it and even if it doesn't a machine as nice as that should go to the dealer so factory quality parts are used for the repair. It may be something that they have seen before and should know the correct procedure to repair it.

post #5 of 32 Old 12-19-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I collected some of the overflowing oil and it didn't smell like fuel.

But I will still be contacting the local Yamaha dealer to get her booked in. Not the best time of year though.
post #6 of 32 Old 12-19-2018, 09:25 AM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 525
I doubt there's anything wrong with your engine. I think you just overfilled it when you did the oil change. Engine has to be level when you fill it to the mark on the dip stick. It is easy to overfill if the auger mouth is lifted a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 32 Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
@Coby7 I appreciate your comment but I'm pretty sure I was level when I did the oil change.

I have read some boating forum information and it seems Yamaha has had issues with "making oil", at least on those marine engines. It seems the rings were not seating properly. No idea if that could be a similar problem here, or whether it's as Mr Gibbs originally suggested.

For one reason and another, I'm wondering whether I should try a fresh oil change and monitor the unit closely over a few hours running. The local Yamaha dealer isn't exactly the best there is (couldn't be bothered to even quote for a new machine which meant I bought elsewhere, and later when I visisted the service desk they refused to order the "Yamalube" specified in the manual, on the basis that he would need to order "a pack of 12"). So I'm not exactly enthusiastic about dealing with them..
post #8 of 32 Old 12-19-2018, 10:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
A cellphone is your best friend. Find another dealer or use the web to contact Yamaha customer support. Hopefully they can provide some answers.

post #9 of 32 Old 12-19-2018, 10:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
It may be that your machine is not completely broken in yet and rings have not seated completely, but rings are not going to create more oil in the engine.

Did you store your machine with gas in the tank over the summer? Was there any gas left in the tank when you started it during your maintenance work or had the gas mysteriously disappeared from the tank. Does your machine have a fuel shutoff valve? If it does was it closed? If it does not have a shutoff valve, I would suggest you install one.

You might want to try changing the oil again, and making sure that you close off the fuel valve so that in case the needle in the carb is leaking, the leak will be prevented with the fuel valve closed. I always close the valve on my machine, and then let it run until the gas in the carb is used up and it stops by itself.

You also want to used conventional oil for the full amount of time specified in the manual for the break in period. Do not use synthetic until the engine is fully broken in.

If you have a warranty on the machine that is still in effect, then you need to refer the problem to the dealer to be corrected. If you tamper too much with the machine trying to diagnose the problem, your dealer might decline to do warranty work due to the tampering.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296, Lunta liked this post
post #10 of 32 Old 12-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 175
Garage
It's over filled
Change it again and add manually until full not the amount the spec calls for and see how much it takes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in