LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-05-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I do not know a lot on Yamaha snowblower, so here is my question:
Are the old models (‘90 828 / 624) better than today’s Yamaha (recent 1028)? I know John Deere garden tractor from the ‘90 (300/400 serie) are better than what they offer today. Is it true with Yamaha snowblower?

I know this is not a Honda subforum, but is the HS1132 better than newer model HS1332?

Thanks

Last edited by Maxi5566; 01-05-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-07-2019, 07:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 10
I think many brands have moved their production to China , and the quality has gone down.
I have even been told Honda has moved production to China , and the older machines was better than new ones.
However , with Yamaha , I believe they still make the new ones in Japan, so I guess the new ones are better.
I have an "ur" 624 , with 3 fwd gears and metal tank ... still runs strong... no rust.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-07-2019, 08:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 198
Likes (Received): 83
Garage
the best of the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxi5566 View Post
I do not know a lot on Yamaha snowblower, so here is my question:
Are the old models (‘90 828 / 624) better than today’s Yamaha (recent 1028)? I know John Deere garden tractor from the ‘90 (300/400 serie) are better than what they offer today. Is it true with Yamaha snowblower?

I know this is not a Honda subforum, but is the HS1132 better than newer model HS1332?

Thanks
In Norway Yamaha snowblowers are considered the best of the best, clearly ranked over Honda. The American Ariens / Toro etc. do not have the same status. Of course except the one I have, a 2013 Simplicity Pro with USA made Briggs engine

2011 Simplicity P1728EX Signature Pro 342cc 11hp (at my house)
2014 Yamaha YT1070 (YT1028) 296cc 9.5 hp (at the cabin)
post #4 of 6 Old 01-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 10
hey dont talk bad about Ariens my ST824 have served me well for the past 30 years .. no rust ... original auger belt broke last year, and it needed a carb clean this year...other than that , just an oil change now and then ... and it just runs
However, i cheated on it , and brought a track YS624 home... hope they get along
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_140800.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	862.6 KB
ID:	151081  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #5 of 6 Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 198
Likes (Received): 83
Garage
Love old Ariens!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane View Post
hey dont talk bad about Ariens my ST824 have served me well for the past 30 years .. no rust ... original auger belt broke last year, and it needed a carb clean this year...other than that , just an oil change now and then ... and it just runs
However, i cheated on it , and brought a track YS624 home... hope they get along

Nothing bad about Ariens! I was at a dealer today that are high end. He had nothing good to say about the new ones. Maybe the old ones were better. He sells Honda, Husqvarna, Yamaha and Ariens.
He recommends Yamaha but most people buy Honda anyway. One customer who bought two machines, a Honda 928 and later a Yamaha 1028, came back and said the Yamaha was much better.
Some people buy Ariens even if that dealer does not recommend them. We are talking new EFI Rapidtrack Hydro. Dealer said most of them are really disappointed afterwords. Also the new Rapidtrack belts are bad, as the old ones were according to this dealer.

Just what I heard today, Nothing personal

2011 Simplicity P1728EX Signature Pro 342cc 11hp (at my house)
2014 Yamaha YT1070 (YT1028) 296cc 9.5 hp (at the cabin)
post #6 of 6 Old 01-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 570
My new Yamaha is better built than the older ones, the plate where the engine mounts is way thicker than previous years, all the auger metal is one gauge thicker. It has all kinds of improvements like better shielding and smoother drive with the hydrostatic transmission and mine being a 624 was made in China. The other 2 models are still made in Japan. China already made the engine block for these. If I were to pick at it I would say the paint on this one is not as good as the older ones, there doesn't seem to be any treatment applied or very little before paint application so it tends to rust at the welds prematurely. Oh yes these are really not ready for all the salt they put on our roads that end up in our EOD, the poorly sealed 6203's in the auger housing don't take too long to get noisy and fail. A lot of Countries don't use salt so these problems don't pop up as quickly there. I already installed new double sealed and higher precision bearing, they are the most expensive and still only $5 a piece. If you have one of these, changing the bearings is a good preventative maintenance. Very simple job if they haven't gone bad yet but a bit harder if they have already seized up on you and spun on the shaft. I caught mine just in time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coby7; 01-07-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks octane thanked for this post
Likes JamesReady liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in