Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 78
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 143
Smile Yamaha 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidastra View Post
So I am finally getting around to closing the machine after using it since December, very disappointed the way this has held up, both tracks are worn due to the weight of the machine I'm guessing, I use the machine on a very sloped driveway only, and one side auger is completely worn down, no teeth remaining at all. Unit was bought in December 2018. Not sure how to add pictures, but I'll add them once I figure it out

First post is negative I know, I also own a Honda hss724ct, and an older hs624 i'm hoping to be around a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidastra View Post

================================================== ==============================================

Bonjour Mon Ami,

The condition of the treads leads me to ask if the driveway has a coarse base coat of asphalt rather than a finish coat?

The only other thing would be that it the tread is spinning rather than gripping. How fast are you trying to work with this beautiful machine?

The tread would look like this after 8 or 10 years of heavy winter use.

Yamaha has apparently changed the hood design of the 1028 from 2017 and replaced the metal engine hood with a plastic one.

Who ever set that snow blower up for you did not do a good job as the cross augers should not look like that at all.

First you need to lower the auger housing to the ground;
Second if you have a bubble level you need to lay it across the front top edge of the cross auger housing and then wait for the bubble to settle;
Third after you check it for level you need to check it for vertical plumb on both sides and when you check it for vertical plumb you will be able to see if it is tilted to one side.

I believe you are going to find that the left skid on the rear is too high and causing that damage IF the cross auger housing is not level when raised

If you are in need of a scrubbed driveway that would explain why the treads look like that if you have a rough undercoat that could cause it too just as trying to travel too fast would as well while clearing snow.

The left rear skid would have to be to high causing the wear on the cross auger like that.

What does the scraper bar look like??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Adding some pictures, the machine is at my storage so I can't always go take measures right away
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_185750_1560988872454.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	156129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_185721_1560988888021.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	156131   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_185712_1560988899441.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	156133   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_185654_1560988918005.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	156135   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_185648_1560988931087.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	156137  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_185616_1560988940806.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	156139  
post #13 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So I looked at the machine, again I can't see any paint missing from the bucket not sure if the augers sit higher or lower then the bucket, Honda tracks look new still so I don't think the pavement has anything to do with it, still can't find parts for this machine. Really considering selling it and counting it as a lesson learned.
post #14 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
can't speak of tracks but auger worn on one side and not the other speaks of either bad adjustment of skids/scraper bar or perhaps the auger housing? have seen both on a Honda. if you can put machine on flat surface and look at it from front ground level , what do you see?

is the bucket cocked? are the augers cocked? I have no experience with Yamahas but the tracked units must be close to a honda. I have seen tweeked Honda buckets that have caused this. hopefully it just needs readjustments to the skids and/scraper.

with a sloped drive , you may need a little more clearance. what I do is put paint stirring sticks under the scraper with the height adjustment in the middle level and then adjust skids. That works for my drive. Maybe you need more clearance on the worn side.

good luck.
everything looks level, i attached pictures
post #15 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 11:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Mon Ami,

Call your Yamaha dealer it is a warranty issue it is nothing you did.
post #16 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
Mon Ami,

Call your Yamaha dealer it is a warranty issue it is nothing you did.
i'll try, but i really doubt they care to help
post #17 of 26 Old 06-20-2019, 05:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 161
They will care a heck of a lot less if you don't bother to ask . . .
post #18 of 26 Old 06-20-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
i already made the appointment
post #19 of 26 Old 06-21-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well it's at the dealer, they agree everything is odd. We will see.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #20 of 26 Old 06-22-2019, 12:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Bonjour kidastra,

Its nice seeing that they apparently do not use much rock salt in your part of Montreal as you would have a lot of salt and ice damage showing in the cross auger housing.

I am going to hazard a guess and say that the whole issue is the toothed scraper bar is inside the cross auger housing instead of outside of the cross auger housing. the scraper has no wear or worn paint on it.

Looking at your post number 20 and seeing the impeller housing close up it certainly looks odd as the silicone liner does not look to be flush with the rear of the impeller housing and it has an oddball piece of silicone near the top of the impeller housing.

The sheet steel of the lower lip edge is pretty banged up and looking at the left mounting bolt for the scraper(right sided as you are facing it) is tilted downward a little and the left side weldment is pushed in.
I have been wrong before; but it is certainly odd as the lower lip of the cross auger housing is always flush and tight with the scraper bar on any snow thrower I have seen owned or used.
The 2017 1028 and 824 that I have seen on you tube and on the Yamaha Canada web page/video have none of the tread damage that you have so that leads me to think that the right side open auger(left as you look at the image you were so kind to provide was the recipient of the wear and tear and rather than staying clear of the pavement the exposed cross auger drooped and the teeth of the open auger have worn prematurely.

DO you have a very steep crown in the center of your driveway pavement???? If your drive way is as steep as you say it may have a steep crown in the center to allow the water to drain off and away to the sides quickly.

If you have a long level you can check this by measuring to find the center of the pavement width and then placing the level with one end edge at the center measurement and using a mirror to see how level it is.

I think and believe the scraper should be mounted on the outside of the cross auger housing rather than the inside as I have never seen damage like that as the scraper is supposed to take all that damage and wear on a single stage snow thrower or two stage snow blower and it has distorted the cross auger housing creating a bent housing.

They should replace the cross auger housing and one or both open cross augers and the center support bar for you at no charge as someone dropped the ball here as the scraper bar shows absolutely no wear as far as I can see and the steel on the lower lip of the cross auger housing is bent and damaged (I have never seen that). A small bubble level will tell you if the auger shafts are level which I suspect that they are not level and the right open cross auger is out of plumb as the center support bar for the gearbox does not appear to be plumb either.

Avec certitude(for sure) this damage is not a result of anything you did.

Last edited by leonz; 06-22-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: stuff
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks eyebolt thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page