LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 09-04-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
older ys828 snowblower

Newbie here with some questions. Have the chance to get an older yamaha ys8 28 tracked snowblower. My concerns are the flywheel magnet came off and damaged the coil/ flywheel stator. what engine comes on it? is it just a mz300 engine multi purpose engine that you can buy or is it specific to snowblowers and what about parts availability? Thanks I am motocross racer and partial to a honda or a yamaha and know how much forums help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 521
Thanks (Received): 687
Likes (Given): 3905
Likes (Received): 1498
Garage
Welcome to the forum de

I'm not the "Yamaha Guy" so hopefully one of the Yamaha experts jumps in.
Posting the machines model/serial numbers might be helpful as would adding a location to your profile. Reason if you're in Canada and having a Yamaha kind of points to that a lot of the things some of us US guys might recommend you don't have access to "up there"

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 521
Thanks (Received): 687
Likes (Given): 3905
Likes (Received): 1498
Garage
I'm sure we're better but you might find help here too.

Yamaha Snowblower Fan Club

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 09-06-2015 at 01:01 PM.
post #4 of 20 Old 09-04-2015, 06:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 206
Likes (Received): 139
a lot of the parts are still available for the older yamahas, but they are not cheap.

boats.net for example is a good source for parts

i don't know the engine model for the 828 off-hand but i own a 624 and the engine model for the 624 is MF210S-R

i am pretty sure it was snowblower-specific and not multipurpose

the ignition parts are very pricey

All Years YS828TE Yamaha Power Equipment GENRATOR Diagram and Parts

how much is the snowblower in question? you'd almost be better off buying one that runs or runs poorly.

post #5 of 20 Old 09-04-2015, 06:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 479
Smile

I have a few Yamahas, but I have not really have to deal with one yet, though my understanding is that the engines on YS624 and YS828 are snowblower specific (dressed up for winter use).
They are actually installed on motor mounts.
The drive system and the auger run from the camshaft, not the crank like a multipurpose engine, therefore you'll need an engine where the PTO is the camshaft, or an engine that runs at 1/2 of the "normal" RPMs. (I guess if you are creative and handy you could use a 10HP or larger tecumseh dual shaft engine and only use the camshaft )

They are great snowblowers when in good operational conditions. (I've used YS624s and YS240/Ricky and I've relly liked them, I have yet to try a YS828, maybe this winter..... ).
Like somebody said before, you are better off getting one that is complete and runs good or even if it runs poorly, but it is complete.

If you do buy it, I can help you with the owners and service manual for it.
Just send me a PM if you need them.

In the other hand if it is very inexpensive I would buy it and deal with it.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 09-06-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #6 of 20 Old 09-06-2015, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the help. I live in southern Michigan if that helps. I will get the model and serial numbers. I was going to do that anyways to look up parts avalibilty. I can get it for 150.00$. Thanks guys as soon as I get the model serial number I will post
post #7 of 20 Old 09-06-2015, 09:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by de883zx View Post
Thanks for the help. I live in southern Michigan if that helps. I will get the model and serial numbers. I was going to do that anyways to look up parts avalibilty. I can get it for 150.00$. Thanks guys as soon as I get the model serial number I will post
Get the serial number, and take some pictures, also look carefuly at the tracks, if they have slight cracks it is ok, but if they have large cracks on them, you'll have to be ready to replace them at some point. (tracks are NLA). Since the engine does not run, you can not test the rest of it. I would try and get it for $100, if the tracks are in good condition you may be ok with $150, since you can probably get the $150 back just for the tracks if you can not make the blower work.

Look at this video, for what to look for on it.

I'd also make sure that the augers are free from the shaft, they shoul move a little bit back and forth on a turning motion, hold one auger and moove the otherone and viceversa, also make sure that the augers serrated part in not worn out.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #8 of 20 Old 09-06-2015, 02:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 202
Likes (Received): 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
look carefully at the tracks, if they have slight cracks it is ok, but if they have large cracks on them, you'll have to be ready to replace them at some point. (tracks are NLA).
This is important. My son picked one up (a 624) last fall. He knew I had been looking for one. It was very cheap and some carb work and a rusty fuel tank repair got it running well. I'm afraid to move it around because the tracks are old and have deep cracks.
You'd think I would have learned (actually you would think my son would have known) the importance of condition of hard to find tracks. But it was cheap. It's one short step (turn) away from being nearly useless.
One popular contribution to the degraded Yamaha tracks was a common leaky fuel shut-off valve. Dripping gas on the rubber degrades it. I think that may have been the case with mine as it had a non oem fuel shut-off when we got it. The tracks are still in one piece at the moment, but as I said, it scares me.
I'd like to own a wheeled model.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
too bad they are no longer made

Last edited by 43128; 09-06-2015 at 04:47 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-06-2015, 09:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbert View Post
This is important. My son picked one up (a 624) last fall. He knew I had been looking for one. It was very cheap and some carb work and a rusty fuel tank repair got it running well. I'm afraid to move it around because the tracks are old and have deep cracks.
You'd think I would have learned (actually you would think my son would have known) the importance of condition of hard to find tracks. But it was cheap. It's one short step (turn) away from being nearly useless.
One popular contribution to the degraded Yamaha tracks was a common leaky fuel shut-off valve. Dripping gas on the rubber degrades it. I think that may have been the case with mine as it had a non oem fuel shut-off when we got it. The tracks are still in one piece at the moment, but as I said, it scares me.
I'd like to own a wheeled model.
At some point I am hoping to retrofit Honda newer tracks (2016 model, I've notice that according to Honda diagrams, 724, 928 and 1332 use the same size tracks) onto one of my YS624 with tracks in poor condition. If I do that, I think I will post a thread with a tutorial. If it works on the YS624, it shoud work on YS828 as well since although the tracks are completly defferent in design, according to Yamaha they are interchangeable.

Here is a thread that somehow shows how to retrofit newer yamaha tracks (from canadian YT624).

Yamaha Snowblower Fan Club - For people looking to replace YS-624 and YS-828 tracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page