post #1 of 15 Old 12-15-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
wdb

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 69
YS-828 belts question

I am the brand new owner of a very much less than new, but very well maintained -- or so I thought -- Yamaha YS-828 snow blower. I bought it used from a local outfit that used to sell them. It belonged to one of the mechanics there. I had an ancient Bear Cat before that, and I really wanted to try a newer, track driven snow blower. This was a fairly inexpensive way for me to do it.

We've had two snows recently, and while the machine worked very well in the first one, it broke a belt while clearing snow this morning. My question is, do these machines go through belts routinely? Should I buy 2 sets while I'm getting them? Or do the belts tend to last a long time and I just got an unlucky break (no pun intended)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your collective knowledge and experience with me.

I'll see if there is some good place to post up some pics of the old Bear Cat, in case anyone is interested in antiquities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-15-2013, 03:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
The YS-828W I had from 1991 had the original belts on it until last year when the auger belt started to slip in deep snow.
So I decided to get a new auger and drive belt while I was replacing them.
I just put on some heavy duty aftermarket replacements as the original Yamaha belts are outrageous in price. The aftermarket belts are working just fine.
I don't know why your blower broke a belt,mage to tight or too loose?
You might want to check your idler pulleys for alignment and make sure nothing is bent or out of specs.
Just some idea for you....

Current machines.
Honda HS520.
Honda HS55 with tracks.
Yamaha YS828W "SOLD"
post #3 of 15 Old 12-19-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
wdb

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 69
Thanks for the reply. So, it sounds as though the belts last a long, long time, and I just got unlucky. Thanks, I won't spend the money for spares in that case.

As for price, you're right - the Yamaha parts are ridiculous. But the dealer is going to give them to me at their cost, so it's not quite as outrageous, and it will save me from having to figure out what the equivalent belts would be from NAPA or wherever. Unless you have those numbers handy...
post #4 of 15 Old 12-22-2013, 02:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
The manual says the auger belt is a LB36 belt or a 36 inch "B" belt.
And the auger belt is a LA37 belt or a 37 inch "A" series belt.
I got my belts from a local implement / lawn and garden dealer.
I just took the measurements I listed for you and the old belts and the parts guy matched them up for me. They worked just fine.
I would rather spend $20.00 for both belts than spend almost $75.00 for the just the Yamaha oem auger belt. Even if I would need to replace them every few years.

Current machines.
Honda HS520.
Honda HS55 with tracks.
Yamaha YS828W "SOLD"
post #5 of 15 Old 12-26-2014, 10:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy1969 View Post
I just took the measurements I listed for you and the old belts and the parts guy matched them up for me. They worked just fine.
I would rather spend $20.00 for both belts than spend almost $75.00 for the just the Yamaha oem auger belt. Even if I would need to replace them every few years.
I am now a Honda 928w owner but owned a 828w yamaha. I had it for 22 years and had the original belts on it with 2 driveways to do each time it snowed here in Minneapolis area. It was still going strong when I sold it with the original belts. Just because they are cracking on the inside doesn't mean they are bad. My 828 Yamaha after 22 years still out performs my Honda. My 2011 Honda was the year they even increased torque a bit. Still no match. The Yamaha 8 hp seamed like a 11 to 12 hp motor compared to the Honda 8.5 hp. .

Last edited by Apple Guy; 12-27-2014 at 11:26 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy1969 View Post
Nothing worse than having a belt snap halfway through a storm, learn from my experience. Eventhough belts are easily changed on these, changing one during or after a storm is no fun, plus they always break on sunday. Buy the proper belt that lasted 10-15 years or the suggested replacement, they cost more because they are much better belts and designed specifically for snowblower applications. It has to be a reverse bend drive belt.

Auger V-belt BANDO W800 SB-36 or Mitsuboshi LB-36 Super gold 1000
Auger V-belt BANDO W800 SB-37 or Mitsuboshi LB-37 Super gold 1000

Notice "LIFE" (18X) and "POWER TRANSFER"(3X)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coby7; 12-27-2014 at 12:46 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-27-2014, 03:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 7
Replacing belts when you have cracking in the area #5 of the above poster image makes as much scene as people changing spark plugs after a year or two in their 4 stroke or direct injected outboards or lawn equipment. When they have many years left of 100% efficiency left of the spark plugs, you just threw in the trash because it made you "feel better" to change them. Almost 99% of the belts strength in in the top layer where the cords are. If your belts chunk out the V-material or your belt is fully glazed and slipping with the proper adjustment, them change them. That means you have many many years on them. http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0444e23c.png .
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gsedlack thanked for this post
Likes gsedlack liked this post
post #8 of 15 Old 03-24-2018, 12:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Likes (Given): 3
YS 828WM V Belt Replacement Info

Hi. I've had my YS828 for 20 years and will need to replace the v-belts sometime soon. I have the Service Manual and the Supplementary Manual and I have OEM Replacement belts, but neither manual addresses the service steps recommended to replace the belts. I just replaced the auger drive clutch cable and inspected the original belts - which are cracked but still serviceable, and I don't know if I need to remove the entire auger assembly to remove and replace the belts or if there's an alternative approach. Is there a Shop Manual available which might describe more than the Service Manuals? Any thoughts? Thanks!
post #9 of 15 Old 03-24-2018, 02:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 167
If you go to the yamaha snow blower fan club web site you will be able to find a service manual or instructions on how to change the V belt on your blue mule.

To become a member of the yamaha forum there is no charge and there are plenty of members there to help you.

When yshslover sees your post he will be able to help you as he has a brood herd of 828's in his stable.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-24-2018, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 467
Likes (Received): 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsedlack View Post
Hi. I've had my YS828 for 20 years and will need to replace the v-belts sometime soon. I have the Service Manual and the Supplementary Manual and I have OEM Replacement belts, but neither manual addresses the service steps recommended to replace the belts. I just replaced the auger drive clutch cable and inspected the original belts - which are cracked but still serviceable, and I don't know if I need to remove the entire auger assembly to remove and replace the belts or if there's an alternative approach. Is there a Shop Manual available which might describe more than the Service Manuals? Any thoughts? Thanks!
You need to remove the auger housing and engine drive pulleys to do it. Itís not too bad to remove/reinstall.
Property adjusted the belts can last 10-30 years.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page