post #1 of 12 Old 01-18-2020, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 22
Mod testing 5.5 inches of wet stuff

First Snow This Winter - 2020

More wet stuff. Nearly 6 inches. Little red did her thing though. Have some issues to address but nothing serious. Went out to the garage, poked the fuel bulb a couple of times - she started right up. Wet snow is the worst. Snow blowing in drizzle what fun. First time it's taken more than one pass. Slush is a heart attack waiting to happen. Ten inches last Fall also wet. Without the mod I would say I cleared that chute at least 30 times or more. With the mod this time I cleared it a total of 3 times. That's an awesome reduction - from 30 something to just 3. Problem is I cut the rubbers too long and partially blocked the center of chute. Definitely going to take care of that. Trimming the rubbers should do the job. We'll see. So the chute mod works. Virtually no clogging to speak of, even in this stuff.
The mod really throws the snow / slush. My blower has just one speed so I have to be careful where I throw as I can't control the distance. Have to keep the revs up though or will start to clog. The mod corrects a half inch gap between the paddles and the housing. That's quite a bit. Especially on a small blower. The impeller has four paddles, I did two. Did the first mod using plain rubber. I have to remove the chute to cut back the rubbers so while I'm in there I'll inspect the ones I've already installed then do the other two. Found some nylon reinforced bailing material to use. Should be much sturdier, what the hec.
.................................................. ........
Noticed that the engine started to surge after using 3/4 of a tank. I took the cap off to check the level and the surging quit. Plugged fuel cap. I'll blow that out.
Slime did not stop the tubes from leaking. I am going to have to replace them. Meanwhile I'll have to top off the air before using, that sux. This fix was a waste of time and money. Tires were a problem on my last blower as well.
The cup holder mod needs work. Need to relocate. Worked fine till I finished my coffee then the cup kept popping out. Too close to the auger control. This is a great mod though. Well worth the effort. Especially if you like your morning joe.
Sprayed the bucket with silicone worked well. Everything flowing smoothly. Much easier to clean afterwords.
The LED worked beautifully. I Especially like the flash mode. Ran it several hours, showed no sign of discharge. Dark enough for car/ truck lights to come on automatically so I flipped the switch and accessed the flash mode, made a big difference. Traffic was much more courteous. It definitely got their attention. Those results alone has made the mod worthwhile, one of my better mods.
The caution light needs work though. Didn't use today. Need a way to mount more securely. Think I'll sew up a Velcro strap. That should do it.
What a time to think about this. After mounting the auger support I made I wondered if it would obstruct the augers or the impeller, It hasn't not at all, in fact it has worked great. Designed to reduce vibration I would say that it does that for sure. I felt none at all this time. May benefit bearing wear too, not sure about that one as no one seems to know much about them so the jury is still out on that. Looks cool anyway. You see these on larger machines but it can't hurt so what the Hec. I know my hands feel better. Between the rubber wrap on the handle and the auger support vibration has totally dissipated.
.................................................. .........
The key keeper mod came in handy. When I had to unclog the chute I just popped out the key, cleared the chute and and slapped it back in. Good to go. The keeper dangles the key in front of the ignition, keeps handy for starting and stopping, and re-starting. just grab and go.
The blower pulled to one side today, attributed to poor tire pressure. This brings me to the foam wrap on the handle. Very comfortable. Along with the auger support there is no more vibration, none I can feel anyway. Good idea.
The blower would benefit from about ten to 15 pounds of extra weight though. Believe I'll give that a try next time.
Equipment fail, Need water repellent gloves. Balaclava worked great though. Guess I should pick up some new boots while I'm at it. Feet very sore. Stayed warm though. The Coffee was a good idea. I forgot my tunes. Probably because it was raining. There's going to be a lake @ the eod in the morning. Haven't seen a scrapper through here yet. How was your day

Last edited by BlowerMods1; 01-20-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-18-2020, 06:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 209
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 764
I've done dozens of impeller mods, and to be truthful, can't see the difference between two or four impellers. I use baler belting instead of tire sidewalls if that made a difference. Also, my 1973 208cc 24 inch Ariens, has no problems with bogging down with an impeller mod ( two impellers). I'm hoping to get a few inches of slush tonight to try out my 828 simplicity I just modified with two impellers done.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-18-2020, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yep. First time using the impeller mod. Huge difference. I used straight rubber for the first mod. Wondering then how they would hold up. I found the nylon reinforced belt your talking about at Rural King the other day and picked some up. I am thinking I created a blockage when I installed the first pair though as the rubbers protrude too far inside the chute. I took care of this on the pair I made for the backup (identical machine) Have to remove the chute to trim so while I'm at it I will install the other two to see what if any difference it makes. I'm sure this is what caused the problem today though. What the hec, can't hurt. This mod is awesome though. Blowing 5 1/2 inches of wet stuff in drizzling rain and just 3 blockages. Has to be the rubbers. I'm sure they need trimming. Thinking that when the straight rubber starts to wear that the the new stuff should take up the slack.

Last edited by BlowerMods1; 01-19-2020 at 12:35 PM.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-18-2020, 06:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 71
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 183
which machine?
measure rpm w/a tach, should be about 3600rpm at load at full throttle

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 Old 01-18-2020, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
which machine?
measure rpm w/a tach, should be about 3600rpm at load at full throttle
Model # 31A-3AAD752

This is there smallest two stage. They make. A 5.5 hp. 179 cc. machine. No frills, one forward speed, no reverse. To control the RPM I had to throttle down. The mod worked so well this was the only way I could control distance. That's what clogged it the first time. I remember when I first installed the mod thinking that the rubbers were too long. I should have trimmed / shortened them then. This should do the trick.

Last edited by BlowerMods1; 01-19-2020 at 01:24 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-18-2020, 08:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 92
Likes (Received): 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowerMods1 View Post
First Snow This Winter 2020

Went out to the garage, poked the fuel bulb a couple times, machine started right up. Five and a half inches of heavy / wet stuff today. The machine clogged 3 times as the temperature warmed. The first clog was my fault though as I slowed auger rpm down to control distance. The new mod really throws the snow. The other two times it clogged because the snow became super wet. Believe rubbers are blocking the chute though - too long creating a blockage, I'll trim them tomorrow.

If you have done the impeller mod I suggest you keep up your RPMs. Especially if you are running a smaller engine, and do all of your paddles. I did the mod on two of four. I'll take the chute off and inspect the rubbers tomorrow. If the rubbers have held up I will trim them and install the other two.

The impeller mod is awesome but it's not infallible. I'm sure it works better though on larger engines. Ten "inches of wet stuff last November when the chute clogged every 15 feet. If I had to give you a number I would say at least 30 times or more. That's an awesome reduction though from 30 to 3.
Noticed that the engine started to surge after using 3/4 of a tank. I took the cap off to check the level and the surging quit. Thinking that it may have been a plugged fuel cap.
Slime did not stop the tubes from leaking. I am going to have to replace them. Meanwhile I'll top off the air before using, that sux.
The cup holder mod needs work. I will relocate it. Worked fine till I finished my coffee then the cup kept popping out. Too close to the auger control. Relocate tomorrow.
Spraying the bucket with silicone worked well. Kept everything flowing smoothly. Much easier to clean up afterwords.
The LED worked beautifully. It was fairly dark today. Dark enough that car/ truck lights came on automatically. I flipped it on and accessed the flash mode, made a big difference. Traffic was much more courteous. It definitely got their attention. Those results alone made the mod worthwhile.
The red caution mod needs work though. Didn't use it today. Need a way to mount it more securely. Thinking I'll sew up a Velcro strap. That should do it.
After mounting the auger support I made I wondered if it would obstruct the augers / impeller, It didn't, not at all, in fact it worked great. I will inspect it tomorrow to check the install.
The key keeper mod came in handy. When I had to unclog the chute I just popped out the key, cleared the chute and and slapped it back in. Good to go. The keeper dangles the key right in front of the ignition, just grab and go.
The blower pulled to one side today, attributed to poor tire pressure. I don't know why it started walking backwards at idle though. It doesn't have a reverse. Didn't think it vibrated that bad. Which brings me to the foam wrap on the handle. Very comfortable. No vibration.
The blower would benefit from about ten to 15 pounds of extra weight though. Beieve I'll give that a try next time.
Equipment fail, Need water repellent gloves. Balaclava worked great though. Guess I should pick up some new boots while I'm at it. Feet very sore. Stayed warm though. The Coffee was a good idea. I forgot my tunes. Probably because it was raining. There's going to be a lake @ the eod in the morning. Haven't had a scrapper through here yet. How was your day

Got a picture of the gear box brace..I have been thinking about adding one to mine as well

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 Old 01-18-2020, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I-Pad doesn't let me post pics but I can tell you how I Made it if you're interested. If you're on FB post your URL and I'll post some pics of them to your page. Here are the instructions.

You won't see this done as a mod on any blower, let alone a smaller sized unit. I know I looked before I did it. Looking for information. Manufacturers don't mention it in their manuals. I came up with this myself so there may be an easier way to get it done. This is the only info your likely to find on the subject. Enjoy. I modeled this upgrade from pics of a Simplicity blower but other brands use them too. My upgrade actually looks sturdier.

1. Went to a dealer and took pics of a blower with this feature. Home Depot or lowes will work. Basically the same on any blower. Note the width of the support bar.
2. Next stop was Menards where I picked up the bar stock. It was three feet long by an inch wide.
3. Then took construction paper (dollar store) and cut out a strip with the same dimensions.
4. Took the paper strip and put it up to the top of the bucket and measured creased / folded it into the shape I wanted.
5. Kept the paper as straight as I could from the top of the bucket to the attachment point / bolt on the auger housing.
6. I then creased / folded the paper into the length from the top crease to the point of attachment point on auger housing.
7. Cut the template to length.
8. I now had my paper template. The exact size of the support I would make.

Fitting the template.

9. I then Chose the bolt / attachment point on the auger assy I needed to secure the support.
10. I Removed that bolt, put the paper up to that hole and marked it.
11. After measuring - making and folding the pattern to shape I marked the holes I needed to secure the top of the support to the bucket on the pattern.

Cutting your barstock

12. I took my template and layed it flat on the barstock. This gave me the length of my support before bending.
13. I then marked two places on the bar. Where I would cut it to length and where the bend would be.
14. Now cut the bar stock to length and mark where I creased / folded the paper. This is your bend.

Bending the barstock

15. To bend the barstock I put the bar into a vise. I then hammered pulled, twisted, the bar into the shape that I needed. You'll see what I mean.
16. Once the bar was formed into the exact shape I needed I laid the paper pattern back onto the support and marked where to drill the holes.
17. Now put the bent bar into the vise. Mark your holes and drill.
18. Take the bar / steel support with the holes you have drilled in it and dry fit - finger tight. May have to tweak it.
19. Now use the bar that's been drilled as a template to mark where you need to drill the holes in the bucket and drill the bucket.

20. Note: you may have to grind support bar at angle to attach to auger housing.

21. Put the bar back into the vise and file down the sharp edges.
22. Clean of any oil now and prime / paint the support.

23. To secure the support to the bucket I used quarter inch schedule 8 bolts, nyloc nuts, and washers at the bucket. I used the stock auger bolt at the other end

I made and installed two of these. One on my working blower and one on my backup. Should have powdercoated them but wound up painting them black instead. Looks professional works great. Looks like factory OEM. I've gotten some prettyfunny looks with this little guy. This mod was the most complicated, the hardest to make and install.

All the mods on this machine look stock (except maybe my cup holder) but you will not see them on any factory machine. Not on a machine this small anyway. The bar is used on larger machines with more horsepower, to mitigate vibration, you don't see these on smaller machines but I already know that I may have to repower. Larger motor- more vibration. Bar tightens up the bucket and reduces that vibration, it may have other benefits not sure, bearing wear ? makes sense but who knows. Never seen it explained. No standardized description. Oh well.

When I bought these machines I wanted to see how small I could go and still get the job done. So far it is hanging in there. This support is probably overkill but what the hec. Something you never see on a smaller machine. Kind of funny.

Last edited by BlowerMods1; 01-21-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Shovel liked this post
post #8 of 12 Old 01-19-2020, 01:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 92
Likes (Received): 101
Thank you

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 Old 01-19-2020, 09:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 750
Thanks (Received): 224
Likes (Given): 1512
Likes (Received): 1530
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
I've done dozens of impeller mods, and to be truthful, can't see the difference between two or four impellers. I use baler belting instead of tire sidewalls if that made a difference. Also, my 1973 208cc 24 inch Ariens, has no problems with bogging down with an impeller mod ( two impellers). I'm hoping to get a few inches of slush tonight to try out my 828 simplicity I just modified with two impellers done.
where do you get your baler belting? my local tractor supply does not have and can not find any on line. must be using wrong key words spent an hour looking.

BTW mod man. I always suggest top spec RPMS when working your machine. also fluid film on bucket, chute , and augers.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #10 of 12 Old 01-19-2020, 10:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 140
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 512
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page