Some guidance for my old friend 8/26 Yard Man - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
further update...pulled the starter apart and found a wire to a brush that was worn through. Solder and back together and working perfectly. And to think I was going to replace the engine :-)

The right test will be a snowfall of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 06:43 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 359
Likes (Received): 593
Garage
i retract my repower suggestion ! you did a fine job on the resto of the complete unit !! however.....if it ever grenades, a repower isnt a major task . just some checking between measurements and maybe some work to relocate the chute rotation rod.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 07:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 574
**** good job!
post #14 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 08:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Beautiful job on the restoration WHILE retaining the original powerplant...and teaching the young lad along the way. Well done!

they're powerful, smooth-running engines...definitely worth the time/effort to resolve her issues!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #15 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 08:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwood View Post
Here is the restoration if it allows a link now:

https://goo.gl/photos/BFUGd6LyhG2ivCBV8
Nice job. FYI some fuel filters are directional . If they are on backwards it will starve the carb

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #16 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 09:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 9
Is the fuel line old enough to be shedding debris into the carb?
post #17 of 21 Old 12-31-2016, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks all. It was one of those red plastic Briggs ones. I put new fuel line in and removed the filter for now during the troubleshooting.

The blower doesn't look anywhere as pretty as it did in those pics now....and that boy is 6 foot 3" now. Where does the time go?
post #18 of 21 Old 12-31-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The rubber coating was a pain in the butt....but the innards were pristine so I guess it did its job over the years. Interestingly one brush wire was simply worn through. Took 30 years to do it.

post #19 of 21 Old 12-31-2016, 04:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Received): 93
Great job . Aren't those tire great, I put the SnoHogs on my 7100 ....
post #20 of 21 Old 01-03-2017, 10:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 36
Interesting seeing your Yardman Snowbird. I'd like to compliment you on the very nice restoration.....looks great. Nice job!

I also have a Yardman Snowbird which I inherited from my deceased father, but it is a 1978 Yardman Snowbird 31600-9 (24" x 5hp) model.
It has a Tecumseh engine.
It was actually purchased new in 1982, from a local dealer, so it must have been backlogged inventory either at the dealership or the distributorship.
In short order he had a 110 electric starter installed and the thing basically ran trouble free for years and just had regular oil changes and was lubed in appropriate locations.
Then it developed a fuel problem after the widespread introduction of ethanol and he had to have the carb serviced and then it was fine again.
My dad, and then me, learned to run the carb dry in the spring and put in fresh gas the following fall for winter use.
The machine is a very heavy, solid, beefy machine by the MTD standards of today, and even compared with my newer 826 LE Power Max Toro, its a tank. Heavy gauge steel all around, and certainly more rugged and abuse proof.
That's why it's going on 39 years old and still running.
I'm sure yours is the same way......real iron horses.

Last winter I did some service work on the machine as there were some things in need of attention after 30+ years of service.
That included a new friction wheel, new skids, a new shave plate, and finally some new wheels and tires.
Initially I was just going to pop the old hard rubber tires off and install new.
I found to my amazement however the wheels would not come apart (I assumed they were bolted together at the hub).
That factor complicated immensely the removal of the old rubber and the installation of new pneumatic tires with appropriate Schrader valve fittings.
I see your hubs appear to be just like mine, your original wheels however were pneumatic......saving you lots of grief over what I went through.
I finally gave up on utilizing my old hubs and wheels and found a better end solution.
You can read about my wheel/tire adventure with my Yardman Snowbird here: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...es-wheels.html

2003 Toro 826 LE Power Max
1978 Yardman Snowbird 31600-9 (5hp x 24")

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page