Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
My 10M6D broke a belt, ordered a new one (34X104), it appears to be the same size as the old one. I took off the idler pulley to see if all was well and it seemed to be missing a spacer/sleeve that goes between the bearing and the bolt. I cut a piece of gas hose to get it snug and it rolled well on it (temporary measure) reassembled and even with the idler released the belt is engaged. works ok for the drive, but I'm hesitant to engage the auger. I'm wondering if the PO removed that spacer/sleeve in order to get the belt to be loose.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
-ugmold

·
Registered
792 Posts
The idler should be tightening a slackened belt when the auger control is engaged. If I am understanding you correctly, the auger is turning without engagement. If that is the case, some modification to the pulley system has been done by the PO. Possibly a larger than normal drive pulley was installed? MH

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
Without the idler engaged the belt is driving the lower/large pulley, if I put it in gear it will move with idler loose. The Jaw Coupling will always be spinning so when the auger lever is engaged it would be like shifting a car without using a clutch, make sense?

It was like this with the old belt, that in neutral, engage auger with the idler slack it would make a racket until the couplers engaged correctly.

But if the belt was slack and not spinning and then the auger engaged, then the idler engaged I think it would work fine.

The PO may have removed that sleeve so the idler pulley could move a bit further (that would be the only mod) I was thinking if I could elongate the adjustment slot on the idler arm perhaps I could get the belt to go slack.
Thanks.

·
Retired Moderator
9,915 Posts
IMHO, You should try to find out why you can't adjust it now before you start to elongate the adjustment.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Are the Belt Guides intact? They are 2 L-shaped pieces that bolt to the engine which help keep the belt off the drive pulley when idler is disengaged.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I took some pics:
Ariens 10M6D

I went to Lowes and bought a sleeve I cut down . works good

I set the belt guides to be just barely touching when "slack"

pulley is off and was adjusted all the way to the loose side. it is a struggle to get it on with the belt on, of course I can take the belt off and install it, but that kind of tells you how tight it is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I took probably the pics you wanted to see today, I had to stop yesterday as we had wind driven rain.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I decided to get a belt a 1/2 inch longer.
I wonder if the PO used a different sized belt than the original. I'm not familiar with that machine, but is it possible that idler pulley might be a bit bigger than i should be, maybe replaced at some point, which required a shorter belt since the pulley was larger. Maybe McGiver was involved somewhere along the line.

Reactions: bad69cat

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if the PO used a different sized belt than the original. I'm not familiar with that machine, but is it possible that idler pulley might be a bit bigger than i should be, maybe replaced at some point, which required a shorter belt since the pulley was larger. Maybe McGiver was involved somewhere along the line.
The belt I replaced was the correct belt for the unit, it is the same size as the one that broke. I found a replacement pulley here, and the pic, with the graphic 1 inch squares behind looks to be the same size.
Ariens 10M6D Parts List and Diagram - (025501) : eReplacementParts.com

Hopefully the 1/2 inch longer belt will work. No snow in the immediate future at least.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Ok, looks like you eliminated those possibilities already.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
not sure if your machine shares parts with my 7-10m, but i picked up a belt at napa, and it works just fine. 1/2"x36", 12.5/13 mm x 915 mm. 4L360W Heavy duty FHP belt. with the idler disengaged it rises up the engine sheave to the point where i could easily roll it off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not sure if your machine shares parts with my 7-10m, but i picked up a belt at napa, and it works just fine. 1/2"x36", 12.5/13 mm x 915 mm. 4L360W Heavy duty FHP belt. with the idler disengaged it rises up the engine sheave to the point where i could easily roll it off.
I'm not familiar enough with all the Ariens models to know. Although I have 2 old 5hp models, a 922003 and a 10965 (broken bearing housing,).

The belt I ordered on eBay is a 1/2 larger, hoping that will do it.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
just out of curiosity, what is the length of the new belt?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
3/8 ? that could be some of your issue ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts