Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Ariens 10ML60
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '64 10ML60 and the transmission periodically gets jammed between reverse and first gear. It either will not go into reverse at all or once it's there it won't shift back out. After many attempts it will suddenly just start working again. I've had a look at how it works and have tried to see what would be the cause but have come up empty so far. Has anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
126 Posts
The oldies have a neutral "tab" where the friction wheel assembly travels that makes them sticky in between 1 and R. I don't have one to snap a picture of and I can't find one. Their design was to have the neutral spot positive and not easily bumped into froward or reverse. If you look up in the and can spray both sides of both cross pieces (both upper and lower) the friction assembly slides on with brake cleaner or similar and then regrease. you can try to get a little more travel on the clutch rod or disconnect the shifter Hook arm and manually slide the friction assembly(with the clutch engaged) and you'll see where the assembly does ride closer to the drive platter during neutral than say 3 or R. Hard to describe, maybe someone else has a picture saved. Once you see it, it makes sense.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The neutral position on those models have a tab that the friction drive it rests on while in neutral. Put it ion service position, pull the inspection cover, and check it out. There may be damage to the tab, or possibly way out of adjustment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts