Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I picked up a 11526pro this weekend. Starts on the first pull and functions correctly but man does this thing need some sprucing up.

Outside of the cliché annual maintenance, here's the list of things I'm doing right out gate:
  • replacing grips/warmers (so worn that the warming elements are exposed and cut you when you grip)
  • replacing deck w/decals (lots of repairs in current)
  • replacing left lever (crooked due to previous weld repair)
  • replacing grease fittings (existing are ceased)
  • replacing shoes and scraper bar
  • need to find and reinstall chute compression spring assembly (missing and was rigged with bungee cord... actually works very well but I'm anal haha)
So I guess my questions to the gurus out there are:
  • Since this model can't do the duel belt upgrade kit - do you have any other suggestions? The existing belt assembly looks bad but still performs...
  • Is the impeller kit worth it? I can't find any install videos, not sure what I'd be getting myself into.
  • When I removed the shears pins, the right impeller spins like a dream but the left definitely is ceasing a little. I already want to replace all the grease fittings (4) on the auger but should I go the extra mile and remove, clean, and reinstall the auger?
  • I haven't the slightest idea on how to do the maintenance on the drive shafts, do I need to?
    • Also, does anyone have any background on the one side with the manual wheel lock? It looks filthy and I do not see where to add grease?
  • I'm new to Ariens, do I need to follow OEM part #s from the 20 year old manual?
    • Spark plug (can't even find gap)
    • Gear oil (will same Lucas Syn I use on my truck work?)
    • Grease (regular hi-temp fine?)
As you can see, I plan I do quite a bit just to get this thing where I want it to be. Yes, I know - plenty of you will say I should have just spent more up front on a better conditioned units but I actually don't mind putting the $ and work into this one for the price I bought it at. All this being said, is there anything else ya'll would suggest I do while doing all of this?

Thank you!

Drew

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Paint Gas Bumper Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bicycle wheel Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Font Gas Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Gas Hood Plant Thigh Automotive lighting Gas Automotive tire Wood Door Rim Gas Engineering Gas Wood Machine Fashion design Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Vehicle brake

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Being that we are approaching the winter season, you may just want to get that unit in proper running order and a good cleaning and wax, and address any refurbish or restoring til next spring, when you have time and nice weather.

Right off the bat, you need to replace that cutting edge, and put on some poly skids.

Oil should be 5W30 Full Synthetic.

Yes, both augers should spin freely ... Just use the same grease fittings unless old do not work. Your truck gear oil, what viscosity is it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being that we are approaching the winter season, you may just want to get that unit in proper running order and a good cleaning and wax, and address any refurbish or restoring til next spring, when you have time and nice weather.

Right off the bat, you need to replace that cutting edge, and put on some poly skids.

Oil should be 5W30 Full Synthetic.

Yes, both augers should spin freely ... Just use the same grease fittings unless old do not work. Your truck gear oil, what viscosity is it?
Trucks uses 75w85 in the rear case. And yea, current grease fittings are rusted shut so I need to pop one off and take it does to the hardware store to find replacement.

The machine already runs properly, I don't mind chipping at these items during the water since I have a huge heated work shop. More of trying to getting the shopping list and also learning what needs to be done. I'm going to drain the gas/oil to take look at the belly this week.

·
Registered
360 Posts
From the pix it looks like you have some immediate maintenance needs and then some cosmetic ones. This model [I do not know a lot about Ariens machines] looks a lot like my 914125/ST11528LE, very stout machines. I got mine working [spent more than I wanted to as I had to replace the auger fan] but has all the "bells and whistles" I want for my "large machine". I would recommend getting it running and fix what you need, then use it, see if you like it, then do the fine tuning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the pix it looks like you have some immediate maintenance needs and then some cosmetic ones. This model [I do not know a lot about Ariens machines] looks a lot like my 914125/ST11528LE, very stout machines. I got mine working [spent more than I wanted to as I had to replace the auger fan] but has all the "bells and whistles" I want for my "large machine". I would recommend getting it running and fix what you need, then use it, see if you like it, then do the fine tuning.
Thanks. Yes it already runs hence why I'm tinkering/tuning. I noticed a bolt was sheared in half in my left wheels differential locking mechanism. Does anyone know why they have the pin holes of you can just set the button to lock?

Sports equipment Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Auto part

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was referring to the chute deflector connections (pic you posted and below) that would be towards the top of my repair list.

Hood Plant Automotive lighting Thigh Fender

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was referring to the chute deflector connections (pic you posted and below) that would be towards the top of my repair list.

View attachment 181328
Got it, yea it works when I use the rigged bungee the previous owner used but I've already ordered OEM compression spring that's supposed to be there.

Do you run ethanol free fuel in your machine?

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Looks like you have a good list of mechanical repairs lined up. I would take care of all these and if time allows get to the cosmetics either before winter or next spring.

The wheel lock mechanism is greased by the grease zerk on the axle shaft in your picture. There is a roll pin to remove and then the assembly will come off for clean up and re-lubing.

Automotive tire Gas Circle Plumbing fixture Automotive wheel system
Wood Snout Dish Automotive wheel system Auto part

Natural material Wood Metal Fashion accessory Electric blue
Wood Gas Machine Metal Auto part

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like you have a good list of mechanical repairs lined up. I would take care of all these and if time allows get to the cosmetics either before winter or next spring.

The wheel lock mechanism is greased by the grease zerk on the axle shaft in your picture. There is a roll pin to remove and then the assembly will come off for clean up and re-lubing.

View attachment 181329 View attachment 181330

View attachment 181331 View attachment 181332
Okay yikes, then that sheared bolt I pulled out was in their instead of the rolling pin... Essentially that whole thing can now come off haha. Okay I'll go ahead and find one of those pins, thank you!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Got it, yea it works when I use the rigged bungee the previous owner used but I've already ordered OEM compression spring that's supposed to be there.

Do you run ethanol free fuel in your machine?
No, I just run mid-grade fuel through it, I haven't had any issues and use it in all my machines [including the 2 strokes].
Good luck with the machine, lots of help available on the site, just try to be specific about questions and always include pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts