Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11528le (926002) my grandfather gave me. He took good care of it, and it is in great shape for it's age. I put a dual auger belt kit on it recently, as well as put a non-drain carb bowl and cleaned the main jet (it wasn't dirty, but I ran a torch tip cleaner and blew it out).

We had 10-12"of blown powder today which becomes pretty dense...first time running the blower in snow. While it ran well and it throws snow like a beast, I noticed one issue. When it initially is under load (starting to pick up snow) the engine RPMs drop almost to a stall (never stalled, and was still running smooth just low RPM) and then would recover and run STRONG and clear the path. Once cleared, it would keep doing it every time I ran it into the snow. It got better as it ran (about an hour), but still isn't right.

My dad asked if it had adjustable jets, which it does not (he figured lean condition). He sold and serviced Ariens/Stihl/Echo/Snapper and others back in the 70's and 80's and was just trying to help through text messages. I'm wondering if maybe the Governor isn't functioning 100% or has a sticky linkage...because once it finally opens the throttle, it runs great and I could run it 2nd "gear" easily without bogging even in the deeper drifts. Idles smooth, from fast to slow position, and starts easy.

Any ideas would be helpful, If I can't figure something out I'm going to have to lure my dad to my house with beer and get him to help me! My only other thought was float/needle position causing it to almost drain the carb before it started filling bowl again, and under load it was pulling enough gas through to not open the needle quick enough. Bowl is the proper part number, just doesn't have a drain, and is a Tecumseh OEM part. But I wouldn't expect it to run smoothly if that was the case.

Thanks! Hopefully it's an easy fix, the thing runs great for being 13 years old otherwise, and is in good shape.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I'd definitely check the gov. I have seen crap build up on engines where the gov shaft comes out that can cause the gov to stick, which can cause symptoms similar to what you have.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Check the governor linkage (ideally run it with the covers off so you can watch what the gov does when you load it up and it bogs). If the gov is working normally, clean the carb and see if it improves.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Will be watching this thread as I have a ST11526DLE (924126) with the same engine doing the same I am rebuilding, Will be interesting to see what the issue is so I have someplace to start when I go to rebuild.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I think I fixed it. When I took the carb off, I put the governor/throttle linkage back in with the plastic grommet installed
in the wrong direction. Seems to run much better now, ran it into wet heavy snow and it only dropped rpm for a split second...like it should. Easy!

Oil is now full synthetic 5w-30. Engine baffle installed...ready for more snow!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts