Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a thread for this machine. Purchased off C/L in 1/14. Advertised as mint condition. Starter rope broke before I could get there. One of the original guide wheels has been replaced. Missing the left side shroud. Been trying to get the recoil off, it's not easy. The engine may have to come off to do this. Three pics from day of purchase:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I see what the bracket is for, it has an LED light mounted on it. :D

The guy who I bought mine from said he replaced the pull cord and he had a witch of a time replacing it.
He didn't say anything about taking the engine off to do it.

I was told when you go to start the blower pull the cord till you feel a little resistance then let it rewind, then pull to start.
And when you pull to start, don't pull out all the way. He said there is no need to yank the cord to the max.
I guess he was right as that is what I do and mine starts around the third or fourth pull.

I have not taken the front engine cover off mine yet, I have been thinking about taking it off and having a look in there.

What problem are you having with it?

·
Registered
257 Posts
The recoil isn't that bad of a job....you just have to realize that things are gonna have to come apart, and there's no other way :)

Tough part is that the rope goes out the standard recoil and through the secondary cover. You have to undo the chute chain and all the upper linkage, carb, all the guards, and then you should be able to get it off pretty easily. Done the job before but it's been a few years.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Info from the Briggs & Stratton tag:
Model 100202
Type 401052
Ser. # 6208280
Once I got the shrouds off I can see that they have been repainted. The rest of the machine is original. I got the recoil part way off, that's where I got stuck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Info from the Briggs & Stratton tag:
Model 100202
Type 401052
Ser. # 6208280
Once I got the shrouds off I can see that they have been repainted. The rest of the machine is original. I got the recoil part way off, that's where I got stuck.
Your serial number says that it was built August 28 1962. At plant #0?
That is odd plant #0.

Did you see where I said I believe that side cover your missing is on the 226?
Your machine looks just like my 226 I think the covers might be the same.
I am waiting for someone to verify that.

Edit,
Mine is the same model number just a different year, mine is 1963. The cover from mine should work on yours.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Starting a thread for this machine. Purchased off C/L in 1/14. Advertised as mint condition. Starter rope broke before I could get there. One of the original guide wheels has been replaced. Missing the left side shroud. Been trying to get the recoil off, it's not easy. The engine may have to come off to do this. Three pics from day of purchase:

there is a LOT of snowbird sheetmetal body parts on Ebay now for sale, you may be able to get the few parts you need there

20 results for snowbird snowblower
Follow snowbird snowblower to get e-mail alerts and updates on your eBay Feed.

Unfollow snowbird snowblower to stop getting updates on your eBay Feed.

Yay! You're now following snowbird snowblower in your eBay Feed.You will receive email alerts for new listings.

Dont send me e-mail alerts.

Follow this search

snowbird snowblower:

Items in search results

• $17.59
    • or Best Offer

• $99.99
    • 0 bids
    • 2d 7h left (Tuesday, 12AM)

• $49.99
    • or Best Offer
    • Free shipping

• $39.99
    • 0 bids
    • 3d 13h left (Wednesday, 5AM)
    • Extended holiday returns

• $49.99
    • or Best Offer
    • Free shipping

• $35.00
    • Buy It Now
    • Free shipping

• $24.99
    • 0 bids
    • 3d 15h left (Wednesday, 8AM)

• $95.00
    • or Best Offer

• $49.99
    • or Best Offer
    • Free shipping

• $49.99
    • 0 bids
    • 2d 13h left (Tuesday, 6AM)

• $250.00
    • or Best Offer

• $44.44
    • or Best Offer
    • Free shipping

• $39.99
    • 0 bids
    • $99.99
    • Buy It Now
    • 4d 17h left (Thursday, 9AM)

• $49.99
    • or Best Offer
    • Free shipping

• $20.00
    • Buy It Now

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hey GreenMtnMan.

Do you have the pdf of the parts diagrams?
Scot e mailed me mine.

60049 is the part number for the missing panel.
At least it is for mine, look at yours if you have it what is your part number for the panel?

Mine is reference number 85 on the diagram. With a part number listed as 60049.
They look to be the same panel.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
greatwhitebuffalo. most of them have been on there for a while and keep getting re listed.
I do see a few new items have been added, thanks for posting.

The panel he needs is not there.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Never mind I guess your asking about the re coil that got stuck? That is called the front engine cover on the diagram, it has the re coil in it.

I guess yes then, it looks like it is stuck there maybe?
I never had mine off yet.

GreenMtnMan takes a lot of naps, it might take a few days for him to see the questions.:p

Edit,
I asked him about his car in the driveway last March I think it was, he answered last week.:D

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It looks like he might have to finish taking the chain bar off and then tilt the engine cover forward to slip it up and off the bottom?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I re-checked the serial number on the engine and that is correct. I do not have the PDF parts or service manual for this model. I've been keeping an eye on Ebay, nothing has come up that I can use. Getting the side panel is not a big deal. It seems like most folks took them off due to vibration noise. If one turns up at a reasonable price I would buy it. I had an S-263 that I picked up really cheap. It had sat outside, everything on it was seized. But there was nothing missing. I had to remove one of the wheel bolts just to move it around. I gave it to a guy who promised he was going to fully restore it. Be patient with me, I work six days a week, and I have a lot of irons in the fire, but I want to get this going and see what it will do.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I re-checked the serial number on the engine and that is correct. I do not have the PDF parts or service manual for this model. I've been keeping an eye on Ebay, nothing has come up that I can use. Getting the side panel is not a big deal. It seems like most folks took them off due to vibration noise. If one turns up at a reasonable price I would buy it. I had an S-263 that I picked up really cheap. It had sat outside, everything on it was seized. But there was nothing missing. I had to remove one of the wheel bolts just to move it around. I gave it to a guy who promised he was going to fully restore it. Be patient with me, I work six days a week, and I have a lot of irons in the fire, but I want to get this going and see what it will do.
No problem I was only busting on you.:p
During the week I work a lot too, work, sleep, work!

You do know that the one bolt on the chain side is the sheer bolt?
Don't replace it with a stronger bolt.

Sent you a PM.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts