Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I was asking GreenMtnMan if on his snowbird S-225 if the whole impeller housing moved back and forth to direct snow left or right.
Yes, you crank it and the whole housing moves back and forth to each side.
The rod with the gear on top in the picture has a chain hooked to it.
There is a crank up by the handles bars that connects to that rod and you crank it to turn the chute left or right.

I think maybe if he takes that rod off the front too he may be able to tilt the top of the cover forward to slip it up and off.
Maybe? I never had mine off yet.

Edit,
Or maybe just punch out the pin holding that gear on the rod to get it out of the way?
Up by the handle bars there is another pin holding the rod on.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Success!! I apparently turned the recoil just right and it fell right off. Looks like someone else bent part of it doing the same thing. One step closer to getting this into some snow. I also noticed something under one on the shrouds. Maybe this is one of the forum members??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You think he would have painted the inside too?
I hope you didn't add anymore scratches to his paint job.:p
Is that the heater box off the carb & gas tank with his name?

Now is the time to inspect the chute cable, hows it look?

See the cover on the chute housing?
You might as well pop that off and oil up the cable pulleys too.

Is the 226 parts diagram helping any?
Looks to be the same as your 225?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes, that is the cover over the gas tank. One of the catches has broken off, someone riveted it back on. I plan to lube everything I can while its apart. The manuals will be a huge help, I've spent some time today reading them. I also have an S-263 manual I've been reading.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't have a cable for the chute. The chain goes around the barrel and up around the sprocket. What's the lever on the right side of the barrel for?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I don't have a cable for the chute. The chain goes around the barrel and up around the sprocket. What's the lever on the right side of the barrel for?
You pick up the lever to manually move the chute.
You don't have a cable to turn the chute?
Is there a cover with 1 bolt holding it on by the chute on the drum?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You have a cable, it is hard to see in the 225 manual I sent, open up the 226 manual and you can see it better. Part number 96 is the cable pulley.
On the 225 manual it is the same part number 96.

If you pop the cable cover off (1 bolt) you will see the cable, it is on the drum that the chute sits on. It is about the only bolt you will see.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The cable itself is reference number 138 on the diagram.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Big Ed - Have you ever taken your belt cover off? Did you have to take off the handle tubes?
The handles won't have to come off. Four screws....the two rear screws of the top cover and two screws on the front of the cover. You may need to hold the gearshift in reverse to get the belt cover off.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Big Ed - Have you ever taken your belt cover off? Did you have to take off the handle tubes?
I had a problem getting my cover off and I was taking off the handle bars anyway. I cleaned them up from rust to what you see now.

As Tim explained to me, someone did not adjust the belts right and the cover hits the bracket. It doesn't allow the cover to come off because you can't move it enough to clear the handle bars.
I adjusted the belts and it goes on and off easy now.

Your cover giving you problems?

Pictures and posts talking about it are in here,

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowbird-snowblowers/29233-vintage-1963-snowbird.html

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Turn the pulley till the hole lines up with the bottom and remove the plug to check the gear oil.
It should be level with the bottom of the plug.

My belt was so unadjusted I couldn't get my cover off no matter what gear I tried.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Wow, how in the world would you get gear lube in there? I'm guessing a piece of hose on the tip of the lube bottle. I got my recoil fixed so now the re-assembly begins!

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The chute turn cable is there, its in perfect shape, even well lubed. I'm going to snug it up a little and give it some white lithium grease. One thing I just noticed is my machine is missing the white chute release trigger cap. I think all the other parts are still there.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The chute turn cable is there, its in perfect shape, even well lubed. I'm going to snug it up a little and give it some white lithium grease. One thing I just noticed is my machine is missing the white chute release trigger cap. I think all the other parts are still there.
How do you snug it up? The chute cable? I didn't really look into the how to part of that yet.
Been busy busy at work! eat, sleep, work! eat, sleep, work!
This is normally the slow time of the year!

What is a "white chute release trigger cap"? For the lever on the bottom?:confused:

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
One of the manuals you sent me tells how to adjust the cable among other things. Look at the 225 on Scots site and you will see the white thing in front of the shift lever. Come on, pay attention!!

21 - 40 of 66 Posts